Pressure Cooker???
  Re: (...)
Maryann, I think it was you who is interested in getting a pressure cooker??

Chefs is having a sale - if you're interested

chefs@e.chefscatalog.com

Don't know if that link will work
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Pressure Cooker??? by cjs (Maryann, I think it ...)
Thanks, Jean. Yes, I keep tossing around the idea of buying one, but just don't have room to store more toys. We are trying to clear out stuff we don't use to make it easier to downsize. I would have to be sure that it was something I would use regularly and I'm not convinced that would be the case.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Pressure Cooker??? by Mare749 (Thanks, Jean. Yes, I...)
Good point, Maryann. I'm using mine tonight for shrimp risotto but it's only the 2nd time this year. Used it all the time, though, when the kids were home. It lives in the downstairs linen closet, along with the big stockpot, several glass serving dishes, 20 years of Fine Cooking magazine, the potato ricer, the deep fryer. And 2 extra bath towelsSmile

But I sure loved it when I used it all the time! For 2, not such a need.

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: Pressure Cooker??? by pjcooks (Good point, Maryann....)
That's what I was thinking, PJ. And, it's not like I don't have time to cook because I do. But, I like to do as much prep in the morning as possible, which is why a crockpot is so convenient for stews and soups.

For those of you who have pressure cookers, I would like your opinion. Do you think that the pressure cooker does a better job of tenderizing meat than a slow cooker?
Maryann

Re: Re: Pressure Cooker??? by Mare749 (That's what I was th...)
Not when time is not a factor, Maryann. I used mine all the time when I was doing the personal cheffing thing. Time was of the essence. I don't think I've gotten mine out since I've been in P.A.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Pressure Cooker??? by cjs (Not when time is not...)

The most tender pork chops I've ever had were pressure cooked. Thanks, Mom! Can't exactly replicate those today, our pork is lots leaner than it used to be.

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: Pressure Cooker??? by cjs (Not when time is not...)
I think it does a much better job than a slow cooker so I use it way more than the slow cooker. For me it replaces both slow cooker and long braises. I've not found any loss of flavor. I always cook ahead and most of the stuff from the pressure cooker benefits from sitting the same way braises do. So for me, it saves me more than slow cooker, it saves me money in oven energy or stove top energy, e.g. beans, etc. Don't know if you do any canning, but the newer ones (my new Fagor for example) can also be used for canning both steam and pressure. Chicken and beef stock come out great from a pc and for me, it is the only way to make risotto. Perfect without the fuss.
  Re: Re: Pressure Cooker??? by Cubangirl (I think it does a mu...)
Good points, Alina. But, I have to admit that I love stirring the risotto. Funny, but my daughter does too.
Maryann

Re: Re: Pressure Cooker??? by Mare749 (Good points, Alina. ...)
and, long cooking braises makes the house smell so wonderful.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Pressure Cooker??? by cjs (and, long cooking br...)
So true! Ron loves that especially on a really cold day.
Maryann