Preserving Pablanos?
  Re: (...)
I have a few from the garden. I'm not ready to use them yet, can I freeze them like regular peppers?
Please instruct
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Preserving Pablanos? by farnfam (I have a few from th...)
Yes, I do. I either freeze as is or roast and clean first and then freeze. Freeze on a plate so you can pkg. them up and they won't freeze together in a lump. Wish I had some in the garden.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Preserving Pablanos? by cjs (Yes, I do. I either ...)
Speaking of problems, I was poking around on the Internet and found this recipe. It looks like the healtherized version of your stuffed poblanos and walnuts sauce
http://www.thekitchn.com/-quick-weeknigh...pe-4-96857
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Preserving Pablanos? by farnfam (Speaking of problems...)
OH my, have not made the old dish for so long - this one sounds really good too, Cis!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Preserving Pablanos? by cjs (OH my, have not made...)
I can't seem to find that recipe It might be one of those that got lost when the recipe app crashed. If you or anyone has it handy, would you mind posting again Thanx
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Preserving Pablanos? by farnfam (I can't seem to find...)
Sure will, Cis. Hang on.

PORK-STUFFED POBLANOS

8 large poblano chile peppers
1 pound ground pork
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
1 large garlic clove, minced
1 teaspoon ground cumin
3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
2 large tomatoes, chopped
1 small apple, chopped
1/3 cup raisins
1/3 cup diced almonds, toasted
1 tablespoon cider vinegar
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup tomato sauce
1 teaspoon sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper
Walnut Cream Sauce
Garnish: cinnamon sticks

Broil chile peppers on an aluminum foil-lined baking sheet 5 inches from heat about 5 minutes on each side or until peppers look blistered.
Place chile peppers in a heavy-duty zip-top plastic bag; seal and let stand 10 minutes to loosen skins. Peel peppers. Gently split chile peppers open lengthwise, keeping stems intact; remove and discard seeds. Set aside.

Cook pork in hot oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat until it crumbles and is no longer pink. Add chopped onion and next 4 ingredients; cook, stirring often, 7 minutes or until onion is tender. Stir in tomato and next 4 ingredients. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 5 minutes. Stir in 1 teaspoon salt

Stir together tomato sauce and next 3 ingredients in a small saucepan over low heat 5 minutes.

Spoon about 1/2 cup pork mixture into each pepper, and place in a lightly greased 13- x 9-inch baking dish. Pour tomato sauce mixture over peppers.
Bake, covered, at 350° for 30 minutes. Top with Walnut Cream Sauce. Garnish, if desired, and serve over Cinnamon Rice Pilaf.
Yield: Makes 8 servings

Walnut Cream Sauce

1 (3-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup walnuts, toasted
1/2 cup sour cream
1/4 cup milk
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground red pepper
1/2 teaspoon sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt

Process all ingredients in a food processor or blender until smooth, stopping to scrape down sides.

Yield: Makes 1 1/2 cups
Muscato is the perfect wine for this dish.

------

Didn't we all make this a lot and all the ideas we came up for the walnut sauce!!!
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Preserving Pablanos? by cjs (Sure will, Cis. Hang...)
Thanx, Jean!
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Preserving Pablanos? by farnfam (Thanx, Jean! [img]/u...)
Those poblanos were so good.

Funny, related story. I think you can pickle them - although I'm not sure what for.

We went for lunch today at a local Mexican place. I ordered a combo with chile relleno and a mole enchilada. The waiter/owner had to ask me twice if I was sure, and make sure that I knew the enchilada would be chicken - and did I "really" want cheese in the relleno?

Lunch arrives, the mole was amazing, the rice was good, the beans were really creamy - the relleno had no batter and the pepper was pickled, burnt, and still had skin in places. It was in an overcooked red sauce, white cheese inside and cheddar on top. WTH? We won't be going back. Pickled poblanos are not really that good.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Preserving Pablanos? by Harborwitch (Those poblanos were ...)
Yuck, I was just rereading this post and thought how disappointing I hate it, when something comes back from the restaurant and it's totally not what I ordered
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Preserving Pablanos? by farnfam (Yuck, I was just rer...)
As we were leaving I saw a newspaper clipping about them trying to make their food "healthier". Epic fail.

The sour/briney flavor was really off.
sigh
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!