Tuesday's Dinner, 10/8/13??
  Re: (...)
What's on the menu for everyone today??

More dishes for pictures today for me - Ritz cracker/Parm crusted oven-fried chicken, Pantry Shortcut Slumgullion, and Crusty Tomato "Pizza" - have sourdough working for the bread. Kitchen duty all day!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Tuesday's Dinner, 10/8/13?? by cjs (What's on the menu f...)
I think Tony is making chili and some elbow macaroni. Michael will eat the pasta at least and we can have chili-mac topped with cheese and sour cream.

Bought a new cookbook online the other day - Michael Symon's 5 Ingredients in 5 Minutes (or something like that). I think it will come in handy for the next 10 weeks until I can stand up on both feet! I figure around Christmas Eve I will be of some help.
  Re: Re: Tuesday's Dinner, 10/8/13?? by Trixxee (I think Tony is maki...)
Trixxee, that's a long time to be stuck in bed. Maybe you could ask your doctor about this? My SIL used one and loved it. I've had foot surgery twice and sure wish I'd known about it.

https://www.rentakneewalker.com/

Dinner tonight will be something with grilled chicken breast. (maybe that sandwich that Trixxee mentioned)
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Tuesday's Dinner, 10/8/13?? by Mare749 (Trixxee, that's a lo...)
Not really stuck in bed for 10 weeks but for the next two weeks I need to keep my foot elevated as much as possible so I am spending all my time in bed for now. Once the swelling goes down a bit and it's not so throbby I will be able to get around without so much pain and I can use my crutches and help out somewhat. At least I can sit at the counter and chop things up! But we are a few weeks away from even that.

Yesterday my sister in law dropped off a wheelchair they had used and we are planning on getting out this weekend.

I like the idea of the knee walker but the only place I would use it would be in the kitchen (2nd floor). Laundry is on the first floor and down the stairs and bedrooms are on the 3rd floor and up the stairs. But thank you for the idea! If we had a single story house instead of three floors we'd buy one in a minute.
  Re: Re: Tuesday's Dinner, 10/8/13?? by Trixxee (Not really stuck in ...)
I can totally relate, Trixxee. We have three floors also. You will really appreciate having the wheel chair. It will keep you from going crazy once your pain subsides and you are up and about. I had to go to my brother's wedding in Florida just two weeks after my second foot surgery. What a comedy routine we were going through the airport with my granddaughter, Katie, pushing me (picture weaving back and forth) in a wheelchair!

P.S. Try to keep your sense of humor. I was a bit surprised how insensitive people are when you are handicapped. It was humbling.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Tuesday's Dinner, 10/8/13?? by Mare749 (I can totally relate...)
I bet that was a comedic scene! But I bet Katie loved pushing you around.

I actually broke my fibula and it's being held together with a plate and screws. You can see the bone in this diagram. Ouch!

http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=a00391
  Re: Re: Tuesday's Dinner, 10/8/13?? by Trixxee (I bet that was a com...)
OUCH! Is right! Glad to hear you will be able to get mobile soon! I'm sure it's tough feeling so helpless. I know you must be so proud of Tony for stepping up to take over the chores for a while.

I've been so jealous of Maryann and her soups! Today it turned messy and cool. Now it's my turn! I would have loved to try the Pumpkin Soup, but I don't have access to the miso. Plus, I knew William would be really disappointed if the first soup of the season wasn't Lasagna Soup! He loves this stuff!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Tuesday's Dinner, 10/8/13?? by Gourmet_Mom (OUCH! Is right! Gla...)
Wow, what a nice dinner we had!! Now, I have to find Maryann's thread on the Light Chicken Francese to review a portion of her menu..... long story!

Ritz Cracker/Parm Oven-baked chicken is very good and got a good picture, but the hit of the dinner was 1/2 of the Argula & Apple Salad from Mayann's menu.
[Image: Oct8RitzCrakerParmChicken_zpsa114671a.jpg]

I usually have to mix argula with other greens, but for some reason this salad works - Maryann, Roy says to tell you you hit it out of the park with this choice of salads.

Tomorrow we'll have the other half of the salad and do the Chicken Rancese, promise.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Tuesday's Dinner, 10/8/13?? by Gourmet_Mom (OUCH! Is right! Gla...)
I have the utmost respect for Tony stepping up to the plate (pun intended this time ). You're doing the right thing Trixxee, never try to rush your recovery and follow doctors orders.

Tonight's dinner is chicken cutlets with the almond butter sauce, potato & asparagu$.
  Re: Re: Tuesday's Dinner, 10/8/13?? by Mare749 (I can totally relate...)
I saw a gal in Walmart yesterday with one of those - she was quite the speed demon. I know what you mean Maryann - after my knee surgery I had to use a wheelchair - AMAZING! Rude, pushy, mean people come out of the woodwork when they encounter someone disabled.

I am not sure what we are having tonight. We have leftover buffalo wings so I am thinking tonight is going to be a junk food night. I'll make pizza egg rolls, buffalo chicken egg rolls, and perhaps some tuna sushi egg rolls. Depends on my back. I think I threw it out Sunday cleaning out two freezers and some cupboards combined with being too busy to do my neck stretches. Or . . . it could have been from swatting flies.

We're getting ready to go and the roadblocks are popping up - the local vet wants $90 a dog for vaccinations and $150 to give the cat a haircut. I don't think so. Calling another vet today. Still working half days too. I am ripping up (I mean removing interesting recipes) Food & Wine and Food Network Magazines (3 years worth). Two piles of recipes - Food I will make in CA and food I will make here next year. C@H's are not getting torn up. One basket of magazines is the limit. I'm also swapping cookbooks in here out for some different ones - my Moroccan, and a few others. This is not easy.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!