Pasta a la Norma aka "Mt. Etna"----for Lorraine
  Re: (...)
And for all the other eggplant lovers. This probably looks nothing like the one Lorraine's sister describes, but I can tell you, it was pure yummyness! Anxious to see the real pic. After this was made, I got the feeling that maybe the eggplant should have been sliced in thin planks rather than rounds to cover the mound of pasta. Ron said he definately wants to have this again.

[Image: October2013009_zps56b010cb.jpg]
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Pasta a la Norma aka "Mt. Etna"----for Lorraine by Mare749 (And for all the othe...)
Oh yum!
  Re: Re: Pasta a la Norma aka "Mt. Etna"----for Lorraine by Trixxee (Oh yum!...)
Lovely, Maryann! I'm going to have to work on William's so so attitude toward eggplant.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Pasta a la Norma aka "Mt. Etna"----for Lorraine by Gourmet_Mom (Lovely, Maryann! I'...)
Daphne I'm with William on the eggplant attitude. Keep the faith William!! I've got your back
  Re: Re: Pasta a la Norma aka "Mt. Etna"----for Lorraine by DFen911 (Daphne I'm with Will...)
It's probably one of those vegetables that people either love or hate. Ron didn't care for it either but over the years he has developed a taste for all kinds of vegetables, especially when he started grilling them.
Maryann

Re: Re: Pasta a la Norma aka "Mt. Etna"----for Lorraine by Mare749 (It's probably one of...)
Looks great, Maryann!
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Pasta a la Norma aka "Mt. Etna"----for Lorraine by farnfam (Looks great, Maryann...)
How good that looks - I bet Lorraine sends it to her sis - wouldn't she get a kick out of seeing how her travelogue inspired us??

I think the long planks would be easier to work with. Guess I've got to get into this also. I'm one of those just learning to appreciate eggplant.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Pasta a la Norma aka "Mt. Etna"----for Lorraine by cjs (How good that looks ...)
My sister said her picture didn't do it justice, so, you bet I'll be sending her Maryann's! Well done, can't wait to make this one.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Pasta a la Norma aka "Mt. Etna"----for Lorraine by Lorraine (My sister said her p...)
For anyone sitting on the fence about eggplant, here is the method we use. Slice the eggplant about 1/2" thick, brush with olive oil, then sprinkle with Adobo seasoning or whatever you like. Ron puts them on the grill over low to medium heat so they don't burn while they are cooking through. Eggplant is one of those vegetables that has to be cooked until it's soft, so figure on 15-20 minutes. He always pokes it with a fork to make sure it's soft. Undercooked eggplant is not tasty.

This is delicious as is but he loves it with melted Fontina which goes on at the last minute. Also very good with a spoonful of pasta sauce and spectacular on a toasted french bread.
Maryann

Re: Re: Pasta a la Norma aka "Mt. Etna"----for Lorraine by Mare749 (For anyone sitting o...)
Eggplant has never been a favourite with me, but I have grown to like it IN some things - as long as it's not the major component of the dish (e.g. NOT Eggplant Parmesan). Also, for me, it has to be not just "soft," but at least a little mushy.

One exception: cut it into batons and deep fry it with tempura.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?