Dinner Party - "Let's Do the Castro"
  Re: (...)
Our friend, George, had another dinner party last night for 12 and 6 courses - it was another foodie delight's evening. He very graciously allowed me to add an amuse-bouche to his menu and I took Mussels and Clams with a drizzle of Mojo sauce. I was flying by the seat of my pants on this one, with some advice from Alina (thanks!).

One caveat - this was billed as a non-traditional Cuban dinner - we all tried for nuances of Cuban flavors but don't think we're hawking this as authentic.

I wrote up the recipe this a.m. and will post at the end of the pictures for anyone who would like it. I must say everyone really enjoyed the dish and it's a great do ahead eye-catchng offering. I will do this one a lot from now on.

[Image: Oct20MusselsampClamswMojoSauce2_zps0481861d.jpg]

Masa Balls with Criollo & Tomatillo Sauces (I'm hoping to get the sauce recipes - they were wonderful!!)
[Image: Oct20MasaTotswCriolloampTomatilloSauces_zpsbdb2ca59.jpg]

Cuban Black Bean Soup with Lime Crema
[Image: Oct20CubanBBSourwLimeCrema_zps82bf86f2.jpg]

Cantaloupe and Avocade Salad with Honey Lime Dressing
[Image: Oct20CantaloupeampAvocadoSalad_zps4b7da40d.jpg]

Boliche de Puerco (Roast Pork stuffed with Andouille, Peppers, Carlicky Sauté of Kale, and Corido (Betsy’s Latina Slaw) Betsy was a guest also, and has a line of fermented vegetables that are carried locally. Really tasty.
[Image: Oct20BolichedePuerco_zps6508c54c.jpg]

Cocina Cubano Flan with Caramel Sauce
[Image: Oct20CocinaCubanoFlanwCaramelSauce_zps0227f016.jpg]

What a great time we had - one thing we did was go around the table and told a little about ourselves becauxe so many of us had never met before. I was amazed at the backgrounds of everyone. A pathologist (she looked like a little old lady who runs a B&B and serves high tea!), a local politician, 2 Oceanogrophers (or something like that), landscaper, a doctor....and they were all so interesting. We just sat there talking until midnight! And, we started at 5:30!!

Here's the recipe - it might look involved, but everything must be done ahead of time. Can't beat that!

Mussels & Clams with Mojo Sauce

1/3 cup olive oil
6 to 8 garlic cloves, mash with mortar & pestle with 1 tsp. salt
2/3 cup sour orange juice (or equal portions of orange juice and lime juice)
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
----------
1 1/2 dozen mussels
1 1/2 dozen clams
-----------
Fresh cilantro, minced

The Mojo Sauce:
After the cloves of garlic are mashed with the salt, transfer to a small mixing bowl and add the juice, cumin and pepper; set aside for 20 minutes.

Heat olive oil in a deep saucepan over medium heat; when small bubbles begin to rise to the surface of the oil, carefully add the sour orange juice mixture. STAND BACK; the sauce may splatter. Bring to a rolling boil. Taste and correct seasoning, if needed. Cool before serving.

The Seafood:
Debeard and rinse the mussels and clams; set aside to drain in a sieve. In a large heavy skillet or wok, add 1/3 cup mojo sauce. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. When boiling add the clams, cover and allow to steam for 2 -3 minutes. Check and remove all that have opened to a shallow pan; continue steaming the remaining clams for another 1-2 minutes to allow the last stragglers to open. Transfer any that have opened to the pan and discard any that have not opened.

Do the same with the mussels giving them an extra minute or to open.

Break apart and discard the empty top shells of clams and mussels. Using a paring knife, release the mollusk from the remaining shell. Place shells with the mussels and clams on a serving platter and cover lightly with plastic wrap. Refrigerate until ready to serve.

To Plate:
Arrange the mussels and clams on small plates and spoon a little of the Mojo sauce over each. Scatter lightly the minced cilantro over the plate. Serve.

Sara kindly sold us a ‘Growler’ of:
Harbinger’s Frenchman Hills, Piper Vineyard 2013 Chardonnay. It is newly fermented with less than 1% residual sugar. It has bright apple and citrus notes, which cut through the richness of the mollusks, with a slight effervescent
Sara: “ This is one in a million opportunity to taste a wine in progress.”
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Dinner Party - "Let's Do the Castro" by cjs (Our friend, George, ...)
Wow, what a fabulous meal, Jean. I love how it was planned so that none of the dishes were overly heavy. All the dishes look delicious, especially the mussels, which I love.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Dinner Party - "Let's Do the Castro" by Mare749 (Wow, what a fabulous...)
What an awesome night!!!!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Dinner Party - "Let's Do the Castro" by Gourmet_Mom (What an awesome nigh...)
Jean, your dinner looks fabulous, but the title of your post led me in a completely different direction. I was REALLY curious...I did live and work in San Francisco in the late 80s, and "the Castro" didn't refer to Cuba in my part of the world!
  Re: Dinner Party - "Let's Do the Castro" by cjs (Our friend, George, ...)
Jean that looks and sounds amazing! It sounds like a wonderful time too. I am looking forward to some seafood - the clams and mussels sound perfect!
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Dinner Party - "Let's Do the Castro" by Harborwitch (Jean that looks and ...)
Looks like a great meal Jean. I am so glad your appetizer turned out and it is way more Cuban than fermented beans would be. You are right that is a Nouveau Cuban rather than typical, but still sounds delicious.

Was the flan light or was it dense like Mexican flan?
  Re: Re: Dinner Party - "Let's Do the Castro" by Cubangirl (Looks like a great m...)
Thanks everyone - Karyn, having lived in northern California for so many years, that's not what Castro meant to me eiter - good play on words.

Alina, the flan was dense, but I didn't think it was quite as good as the Mexican flan I make (which is certainly not traditional, either. )
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Dinner Party - "Let's Do the Castro" by cjs (Thanks everyone - Ka...)
Very nice, Jean.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Dinner Party - "Let's Do the Castro" by Lorraine (Very nice, Jean....)
Now that looks like a fun dinner party! WOW, those sauces look wonderful!