Wednesday's Dinner, 10/23/13??
  Re: (...)
What's on the menu for everyone today?

I've revamped an old favorite 'Chicken Carinci' for on the road, so I'm testing it out today. And, later a little clam linguini.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Wednesday's Dinner, 10/23/13?? by cjs (What's on the menu f...)
Quote:

Chicken Carinci

Don't remember hearing about this one! We bought up lots of chicken legs and thighs for an event, but one pack of thighs was boneless.skinless, not what we need. So, I think they will make a great stir fry.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Wednesday's Dinner, 10/23/13?? by Lorraine ( [blockquote]Quote:[...)
or......you could play with this.....

This was the original that I used for catering a lot - it's in Journey...HOme book:

I developed this dish for a customer years ago and it turned out so well, it was added to my catering menu. It’s much tastier with the skin left on, but it certainly can be enjoyed using skinless pieces.

Chicken Carinci

2 T. olive oil, divided
2 large garlic cloves, minced
3 T. capers, drained, coarsely chopped
2 T. brown sugar
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
1/2 cup dry white wine
6 chicken breast halves, skin on or off
Salt & freshly ground black pepper

Set oven to 375°F.

Combine the garlic, capers and brown sugar in a small bowl and set aside.
In another small bowl combine the vinegar, wine and 1 T. of the olive oil; set aside.

Spray a 9”X12” baking dish with cooking spray and place chicken so edges are touching in the prepared dish, skin side up.

Rub the chicken with the other 1 T. olive oil; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Rub the garlic mixture over the pieces and drizzle with the wine mixture.

Place the chicken in the preheated oven, uncovered, and bake until done to an internal temperature of 165°F. , basting with the juice twice during the baking time of 40-45 minutes or until chicken is done.

Remove chicken to a serving platter and drizzle some of the sauce over and around the chicken; pass the rest of the sauce separately.

--------------
and, this is the new version - I'm going to try it with 1 T. brown sugar and see how that is.

Chicken Carinci Travel Version

Years ago I developed a chicken dish for a Christening and it quickly became a favorite catering & family item. But, the method is rather involved for a travel recipe, so back to the drawing board and this version can be done in the smallest and meager-equipped kitchen.

6 to 8 chicken breasts or thighs, skin on or off
1/2 cup dry white wine
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 large garlic cloves, minced
3 tablespoons capers, drained, coarsely chopped
2 tablespoons TRY 1 T. brown sugar
Salt and freshly ground black pepper

Layer the chicken pieces in a roasting pan which has been oiled or sprayed with cooking spray.

Combine remaining ingredients and pour over the chicken. Marinate in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 375°F.

Place chicken in oven, uncovered, and bake until done to an internal temperature of 165°F or the juices run clear when pierced with a knife, about 40 to 45 minutes. Baste with the juice twice during the baking time.

Remove chicken to a serving platter and drizzle some of the sauce over and around the chicken, pass the rest of the sauce separately.

Throw a few potatoes on the grill while the chicken in cooking and top them with the jus from the chicken.

Cook’s Note: any leftover chicken is very good used as a topping for a pizza.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Wednesday's Dinner, 10/23/13?? by cjs (or......you could pl...)
Thanks, Jean, they both sound great!
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Wednesday's Dinner, 10/23/13?? by Lorraine (Thanks, Jean, they b...)
At the request of bonus daughter, it's Circus dogs with honey mustard coleslaw and home made French fries tonight.

[Image: 1_zps6ff690be.jpg]
  Re: Re: Wednesday's Dinner, 10/23/13?? by losblanos1 (At the request of bo...)
I have a pork loin to use, so thinking of cutting it open, to fill it with garlic and herbs, then roast it. Root vegetable mash on the side.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Wednesday's Dinner, 10/23/13?? by Mare749 (I have a pork loin t...)
another one of those days......

-----------
edited to add:
just made up my balsamic/wine mixture for the chicken and I like using 2 T. of the brown sugar rather than just 1 (as I wanted to test) - it seems to bring out the balsamic more. Interesting.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Wednesday's Dinner, 10/23/13?? by cjs (another one of those...)
My friend Jane recommended this Italian restaurant that I have driven by 100 times and never tried and it happens to have a drive-thru! Essential right now. So today I picked up an assortment of things for Michael and I to eat over the next two days while Tony is still in FL. A cheese pizza, 1/2 roasted chicken with crispy rosemary potatoes (didn't know that even came with it), and a linguine pasta topped with blackened chicken and tossed with a chipotle cream sauce. They also give you a HUGE bag of focaccia bread. All that for $25. I didn't think that was bad at all.
  Re: Re: Wednesday's Dinner, 10/23/13?? by Trixxee (My friend Jane recom...)
Wow, Trixxee, it sounds like you did really well at the drive-through!

We're having a skillet pasta with chicken, broccoli and asiago cheese. We're still tired from riding back from Daytona on Sunday, so dinners haven't been very exciting this week.
  Re: Re: Wednesday's Dinner, 10/23/13?? by karyn (Wow, Trixxee, it sou...)
Well, the travel copy of Chicken Carinci works!! One more down....

[Image: Oct23ChickenCarinsiTravelcopy_zps4da64439.jpg]

Had some rice in the freezer and mixed with pesto, peas and smoked bell peppers. A nice side with the chicken.
www.achefsjourney.com