Important Reminder - Read the Recipe
  Re: (...)
Been cooking for years! And still I do stupid things like - not properly reading a recipe.

Therefore would like to remind everyone to read the reciped, get your ingredients out, read the recipe again, get your equipment out, read the recipe again.

So making my sausage today. All the meat is cut up and seasoned. Grinder is out, cleaned and chilling. All my liquids are chilling, hog casings soaking and smoker is prepped. Now in my head all I need to do is grind the meat as instructed, stuff into casings, put into the smoker for a few hours...wait..what's this step here I didn't see before... "Allow the links to set at room temperature for 3 hours..." WHAT? As it is it will take me hours to smoke all the links in batches, since my smoker isn't that big, I really don't need this 3 hour delay.

That being said, I will leave the casing in the water and stuff my sausage tomorrow, hang them and then smoke them. Arg. And yes I'll read the recipe again tomorrow
  Re: Important Reminder - Read the Recipe by DFen911 (Been cooking for yea...)
Bless your heart, Denise! If it makes you feel better, I've made Chilli for years! Today at the store I felt like I was missing something. When I went to start it, it hit me! I forgot the dang tomatoes! Really?!??
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Important Reminder - Read the Recipe by Gourmet_Mom (Bless your heart, De...)
I've been there too Denise...

Always reminds me of the scene in M*A*S*H when they are defusing a bomb: "Clip the red wire, then the black wire... but first..."
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: Important Reminder - Read the Recipe by luvnit (I've been there too ...)
First rule of the kitchen, yet we've all been there!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Important Reminder - Read the Recipe by cjs (First rule of the ki...)
Oh yeah! We all do that Denise. It's worst when you have forgotten an ingredient . . . .
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Important Reminder - Read the Recipe by Harborwitch (Oh yeah! We all do ...)
Been there, done that. I run into trouble when I zip through a recipe too fast and don't pay attention to some important detail.

Forgetting an ingredient is the worst, especially when it's the seasoning.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."