Urgent 1970s mould recipe needed
  Re: (...)
Ah. I need to make a mould that is the best representation of the 1970s that you can think of?
Any ideas?

Jody
  Re: Urgent 1970s mould recipe needed by jodybarnett (Ah. I need to make ...)
Ask and ye shall, Jody!

Here are 2 of my favorites from those days.

* Exported from MasterCook *

PINK SALAD

1 large can fruit cocktail -- well drained, reserving syrup
1 package strawberry Jello -- (3 ounce)
1 package cream cheese -- (8 ounce) room temperature
1/3 cup salad dressing
20 maraschino cherries -- quartered
2 cups miniature marshmallows
1 pint whipping cream -- whipped

Preparation:

Line 1 large loaf pan or two small ones with foil, leaving 1 1/2-inch overhang on all sides.

Drain fruit cocktail thoroughly, reserving syrup, measure syrup and add water to make one cup. Bring liquid to boil, add to gelatin, stirring until dissolved.

Chill mixture until slightly thickened and syrupy. Beat cream cheese until fluffy, add salad dressing and gelatin, and beat until smooth and free of lumps.

Fold in fruit, marshmallows and whipped cream. Spoon into prepared pan. Freeze. Lift frozen salad out of pan and peel off foil.

Source: Chef2Chef Forum Member, Chef Jean Denham, CC

Description:
"This salad is pretty served with greens and sliced crabapples around it. Holidays were not complete for the family without Pink Salad."

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
and, this one -

* Exported from MasterCook *

BEET SALAD

15 1/2 oz. can julienned style beets
3 T. lemon juice
1 T. sugar
20 oz. can crushed pineapple
3 ounces raspberry jello
1/4 cup white vinegar
1/4 cup water
1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
Dressing:
1/4 cup sour cream
1/4 cup mayonnaise
dash of horseradish

Drain liquid from the beets and pineapple, heat the drained liquids with lemon juice, vinegar, water and sugar.

Dissolve gelatin in hot liquid. Stir in beets, pineapple and nuts into the gelatin.
Pour into a 1 qt. mold; chill until firm.
Unmold on crisp greens spread on a platter.

Mix the dressing ingredients together and serve with the salad.

Description:
"This salad is very pretty on a holiday table and delicious to boot!"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

And, if you don't want 'fancy/holiday' there is always strawberry jellow with bananas or orange jellow with carrots and pineapple.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Urgent 1970s mould recipe needed by cjs (Ask and ye shall, Jo...)
Jean, was Watergate Salad popular in the 70's? Really popular here.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Urgent 1970s mould recipe needed by Lorraine (Jean, was Watergate ...)
Sounds familiar - remind me what it was.

--
I googled it - "Pistachio pudding mix is the base for this marshmallow salad with pineapple, nuts and fluffy whipped topping."

Yes, I do remember it and I thought I still had the reicpe I used to make in M.C. but don't see it. Mine had limeaid in it, I remember.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Urgent 1970s mould recipe needed by cjs (Sounds familiar - re...)
My mom used to do one with apricots I think? Had a rich sweet whipped cream topping with coconut, and I don't like coconut! And another that I love that is green with cottage cheese, and lime flavored? And lots of nuts! I hate cottage cheese, but in this you get such a rich buttery flavor. Pineapple I think? I'll try to get both tomorrow.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Urgent 1970s mould recipe needed by Gourmet_Mom (My mom used to do on...)
Okay, I did a bloody mary Aspic(sp?) it looked funky, but really it was gross lol.
I am not a mold fan at all though. Someone else brought a salmon mold. It was a bit better tasting, but again, i would never purposely eat one. I found this link very funny and not appetizing.

http://www.bonappetit.com/people/our-tea...on-appetit

if I can get some pictures of the food from the 70s party I will post.
  Re: Re: Urgent 1970s mould recipe needed by jodybarnett (Okay, I did a bloody...)
Forgot about the tomato aspic salad I used to make with shrimp - for some reason men always liked it.
www.achefsjourney.com