Fun Shopping Day in Modesto, CA
  Re: (...)
What A Day I Had!!!

Started at -

Chopping Block - http://www.choppingblockmodesto.com/butcher-shop.html

Friendly shop with all kinds of foods, sausages, deli counter full of fun and interesting dishes/salads. All types of meat.
I picked up Sheboygan Brats, Buffalo Wing Brats, Gnocchi, prosciutto & Mozz.

The Sheboygan brats are similar to a German sausage. The buffalo Wing brats, I'm thinking would make a great pizza.

On to Fiscalini Farmstead Cheese -
http://fiscalinicheese.com/ourcheeses.php

Right in the middle of a dairy farm, a little shack where you can pick up any of their cheeses.

I bought - Smoked Mozz, Purple Moon (Cab soaked cheddar), and Smoked Cheddar

Ideas???? (their website has lots of ideas for me, too )

Then ended up back at the Classic Wine Vinegar Co. http://classicwinevinegar.com/index.html

We were here last trip also – this time I picked up, hopefully, a dinner course for New Years – a pasta, jar of pesto and an Italian Tuna (I'm thinking the pasta tossed with the pesto and sprinkled with the Italian tuna for one of our dinner courses.................

Also, picked Walnut Champagne (a store give away), Ginger Pear Rice (will be good for stir-fry), Vanilla Bean Balsamic & a Champagne.

and, then because we were so full from lunch at Bistro 234, we drove back to Patterson and stopped at Chef Ceron’s Smoked BBQ place across the street from his other restaurant, Domasco’s where we had a late lunch/early dinner Sunday. Ordered take out to play with later – BBQ pulled pork, smoked ribs, mac & cheese. Had a glass of Cupcake Cab, which was a very nice wine.

Now, to put all these goodies to good use!!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Fun Shopping Day in Modesto, CA by cjs (What A Day I Had!!! ...)
Wow, you had a great day! The Chopping Block looks amazing. How do you pick just a few items??? Then, the cheeses, oh my! Ideas? Yes, we would probably just nibble away. Wow.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Fun Shopping Day in Modesto, CA by Mare749 (Wow, you had a great...)
L/O Dish #1 - Thai Noodle Salad with poached egg and champagne!!

[Image: Nov201stChampagnebrunch_zps01c2a13b.jpg]

[Image: Nov20ThaiSaladwpoachedegg-best_zps2ab04c00.jpg]

the dish was really good, but I'm really not a good egg poacher and my egg was just barely runny!! Flavors - great.

---

This was the window wall at the Bistro 234 where I had the Asian Noodle salad - it was just a beautiful place and Chef Leroy Walker was delightful, too.

[Image: Nov19Bistro234MartiniWindow_zps5fea7118.jpg]

I waan't going to post this picture, but since you all know EVERYTHING in my life, why not. I so want to copy this in our 'next' house - even if I have to build a dining room or kitchen around a wall large enought to handle. This is a 72" picture!!

Can't you just see this with our favorite author's names printed on the spines of the books???? I just love this.
(And aside to Maryann - remember the water/rock pictures I took last year? We're having them matted and framed for above the new living room cabinets back in P.A. )|\

[Image: Nov19Bistro234Pix172inches_zpsb66b65f7.jpg]

That's all for today.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Fun Shopping Day in Modesto, CA by cjs (L/O Dish #1 - Thai N...)
Oh, yes, I do, Jean. I had 5x7's made and put them in white wood frames. They now sit on Alyssa's desk with a container of her favorite rocks.

I have never mastered the art of the poached egg. So, I have a Teflon tray that you set in a pan with a little bit of water and cover. I wait until the water boils to add the tray with the eggs. Then, I turn to low, cover, and gently cook for 3-4 minutes depending on the size of the egg. They are always perfectly cooked.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Fun Shopping Day in Modesto, CA by Mare749 (Oh, yes, I do, Jean....)
I have one of those in P.A., but not in the trailer. I'd really like to master the perfect poached egg in swirling, simmering water!

How neat that you framed those for Alyssa!
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Fun Shopping Day in Modesto, CA by cjs (I have one of those ...)
Oh Jean how fun. I am going to flag this one for when we get down there. I wish I'd known you were going there - I know a great coffee roaster where you can buy coffee. There's a wonderful sausage company, Lockeford Sausage in Lockeford. Oakdale cheese Factory! We're hoping to make a trip down soon.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Fun Shopping Day in Modesto, CA by Harborwitch (Oh Jean how fun. I ...)
The sausage and cheese places we found were very good, but can always use more stops. I'll make note of these for next time. Thanks.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Fun Shopping Day in Modesto, CA by cjs (The sausage and chee...)
What a great shopping experience, Jean!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.