Cooking a Small Rib Roast Q
  Re: (...)
Hey All,

Denise was kind enough to answer quite a few questions I had about cooking rib roasts with her fool-proof method that will come in handy next time we have a family dinner.

(the Beef Wellington came out a little done last Saturday - no pink in the middle - but was thoroughly enjoyed by all)

Anyways, I like to do Prime Rib/Rib Roast (any diff?) for NYD, but for Hubby and me it's only like a 2-2 1/2 pounder and Denise's technique will not work in this scenario.

Last year I did Ann Corrihor's method of searing, roasting low at 250 degress, then 500 d. for the last 10 minutes, and it cooked too quickly.

Any suggestions?

TIA,

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Cooking a Small Rib Roast Q by BarbaraS (Hey All,[br][br]Deni...)
First of all, Barbara, do you have a remote temperature probe?? It's a wonderful tool for delicate roasts such as this until you're a pro and don't need it anymore.

this is how I do mine -

Bake in preheated 425° oven for 30 min.
Reduce heat to 350° and continue cooking for 2 hours - start temping after 1 1/2 hours.
Remove from oven when 125° is reached, tent and let sit for at least 20 min.

----
But, I rarely cook one this small, just 'cause I thing the bigger the roast, the better it roasts. And, I don't mind leftovers.

Now, for yours, I would roast at the 425° temp for 20 min. reduce oven to 350°F. Remove the roast from the oven and quickly temp it (if you don't have a remote) so you can gauge how much longer you'll need to roast t.

If it's not to temp yet, return to the oven and continue roasting/temping every 15 min. until you reach your degree of doneness. Be sure to let it rest.

Good Luck - it's going to be good!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Cooking a Small Rib Roast Q by cjs (First of all, Barbar...)
Yes Jean, I do have a remote temp - a Polder.

Thanks! Should I sear it first as well? I do plan on leaving it exposed all night in the fridge.

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Re: Cooking a Small Rib Roast Q by BarbaraS (Yes Jean, I do have ...)
I don't, but I do season with s&p and lay rosemary branches on top and onion slices on top of the rosemary and hold with toothpicks if necessary.

The initial high temp will brown it up nicely.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Cooking a Small Rib Roast Q by cjs (I don't, but I do se...)
I did 2.5 hours for the 7.4lb roast and it had little pink. This was after the oven was turned off. So I would think if you did yours 2 hours at 350 it would be way over done.

The method I shared with her was you put the roast in for 5 min per pound at 500 degrees. Turn the oven off and let the roast set for 2 hours and finish cooking. I did this exact method with 7.42 bone in roast and just had a blush of pink in the very middle. Next time I am doing 4 min per lb at 500 and the 2 hours with the oven off.

I make a rub of 1 cup salt, 1/4 cup fresh cracked pepper, and 1/4 cup garlic powder. Now I don't use all of this on the roast, but I season heavily. Even between the bones and the roast.

I think my folks oven runs hot which might be why it was a tad over. But she doesn't have an oven thermometer- ggrr.