Preparing Bone Marrow
  Re: (...)
Could be just Sharon and me (and, of course, Bill) but wanted to have a stand alone thread for preparing bone marrow.

This first way is for whole shank bones - beef is usually what you can get easily, but veal is available, also.

How to Roast Marrow Bones

Roasted marrow bones, considered a tasty delicacy in England and parts of Europe, are becoming increasingly available in North American restaurants. But making them at home is a simple and affordable option once the ingredients have been purchased. Beef marrow bones are used most often but veal bones are another option.

Things You'll Need:
Beef marrow bones
Glass roasting dish
Salt

Buy beef marrow bones at the grocery store or, if not available there, at a butcher shop or specialty grocery store. The bones should be cut in three- to four-inch lengths and kept in the fridge until you're ready to cook them.

Preheat the oven to 450 degrees. Remove the bones from the packaging and set them up on their ends -- not flat on their sides -- in the baking dish. When the stove is ready, put the bones in and set the timer for 20 minutes.

While the bones are roasting, prepare your toast. Cut the loaf of bread into thin slices and toast lightly. Leave them dry (no butter or margarine) and set aside until the bones are finished.

Remove the bones from the oven and sprinkle some salt and pepper on the tops. Let sit for a few minutes.

Scoop the marrow out of the center of the bones using the long narrow spoon. Some kitchen specialty shops sell spoons made specifically for this purpose, but any long-handled, slim spoon will work. Put a small amount of marrow on each piece of toasted bread and spread. Serve hot.

Source
Source: By Christina Myers, eHow Contributor

--------------

BUT -
after having the pipe cut marrow bones at Bouchon's a few weeks ago, I was on a hunt for that method and this is what I found and I'm so anxious to do this!

[Image: Marrow_zps7ba1a356.jpg]

and the story to go with it!!

How to prepare and serve bone marrow (Pipe Cut)

Several months ago, a number of our family went to Lola to celebrate. Chef de cuisine, Derek Clayton, aka Powder, started us off with an enormous pile of crispy bone marrow, with grilled bread and a variety of accompaniments. It was so good that when I had lunch there last month, I called ahead to request it (it’s not actually on the menu because it would be a complicated pickup on busy nights—they serve single pieces as a garnish on the prime rib).

This second time, able to focus on it during a calm lunch—the delicate crisp shell, the unctuous molten marrow inside and thin slice of crisp grilled baguette—we were able to experience the almost primal pleasure of eating pure rich hot bone marrow.

The pleasure was so great, I asked Powder if I could bring Donna down to photograph it and he said “sure” (as if he didn’t already have a million other things to do coming in after his day off and one man down). It’s one thing to wax about the pleasures of eating bone marrow that drips down your chin. Another to know how both to cook and to serve it.

Powder buys three-inch pieces of marrow bones. Ask your butcher for “pipe cut marrow bones” so that you can pop the marrow out. If you can’t find three-inch pieces, smaller ones will still work. He soaks the marrow in warm water to loosen them, then pops them out of the bone.

He then soaks them in a water salted to brine level (I would use three tablespoons of kosher salt per quart—1.5 ounces for 30 ounces of water if you have a scale) for a couple of days, refrigerated, to draw out as much blood as possible, changing the water several times.

To cook the marrow, roll them in flour till they’re completely coated and sauté them in canola oil over medium high heat (too hot and the flour will burn, too cool and the marrow will melt before the surface is crisp), turning them to brown them well on all sides. On the day Powder made the marrow (that’s him grilling the bread and plating), he poured out excess oil when they were nearly done and added some butter to finish them off. This is a chef I love: when preparing a rich, highly fatty dish, finish it off with just a liiiittle more butter. Fernand would have approved. And in all seriousness, the butter browns and makes the crust especially flavorful.

Remove them to a paper towel to drain, then arrange them on a platter with accompaniments. Powder’s is a great presentation (below) with salsa verde, flaky salt from Cyprus, lemon, torn parsley and pickled shallot. But that’s more than you’d need at home to serve this as an hors d’oeuvre. The key items are fresh lemon juice, any kind of crunchy salt, and some torn parsley. Serve it on something crisp.

“I think the grilled baguette makes the dish,” Powder said. “It evokes that roasted flavor that you normally expect when ordering marrow.” He’s right—and this way, you get those roasted notes, but you also get that very delicate crispy crunch, followed by the deep, satisfying molten ooze of the marrow.

Source
Source: By Michael Ruhlman | Published: November 20, 2008

----------

Just can't wait to justify buying more shanks and/or bones!!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Preparing Bone Marrow by cjs (Could be just Sharon...)
That looks good. I haven't really had bone marrow. At least not prepared like this!
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: Preparing Bone Marrow by luvnit (That looks good. I h...)
Thanks, Jean, this is great information.

When I was a kid, my parents and I would always eat the marrow from the bones in the meat we got, but then it seemed the cuts changed, or something, so that it just wasn't there any more.

In addition, you wouldn't believe the pained, disgusted expressions I would see on people's faces when I told them we ate the marrow. It seemed to be something that disappeared from American culture.

Lately, however, it looks like marrow is starting to become known again and I would love to try the technique you mentioned from the Michael Ruhlman article.

The trick will be seeing if the butchers around here can do this properly and get me the right thing.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Preparing Bone Marrow by labradors (Thanks, Jean, this i...)
just makes ya drool, don't it...................
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Preparing Bone Marrow by cjs (just makes ya drool,...)
I am going to hit the freezer section in the grocery store. Thank you Jean for posting this. I'll keep you posted.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!