REVIEW: Asian Sloppy Joes - Issue 103
  Re: (...)
Well, what can I say other than these were delicious and pretty much turned out exactly like I thought they would.

Slight changes I made:

* 1 T. sesame oil instead of 2 and that was more than enough.
* Didn't bother crushing the ground sirloin with a potato masher - a spatula did the trick.
* Added a little cornstarch slurry at the end to tighten everything up a little so it wouldn't be quite as sloppy.
* Didn't add the lime juice at the end because I didn't want to undo what I had just done with the slurry (doubt it was missed too much though).

Changes I would make:
* Instead of "lightly" draining the canned tomatoes, I would completely drain them. That might eliminate the need for the slurry.

I also did not serve these on the little Hawaiian rolls (they are too soft for me) and served them on medium sized french rolls that I first toasted under the broiler (we like the ones Safeway/Von's sells).

Tony even told his co-workers about these so I know he liked them. Will definitely make these again. Solid 9.
  Re: REVIEW: Asian Sloppy Joes - Issue 103 by Trixxee (Well, what can I say...)
I am so hoping that my issue is waiting for me when I get home tomorrow! These sound delicious. Thanks for the review, Trixxee.
  Re: Re: REVIEW: Asian Sloppy Joes - Issue 103 by karyn (I am so hoping that ...)
You're welcome Karyn. Knowing that we have similar tastes, you will probably like this.

BTW, how was the chicken jalapeno burger with guac? Great I bet!
  Re: Re: REVIEW: Asian Sloppy Joes - Issue 103 by Trixxee (You're welcome Karyn...)
Would love to see this recipe, if you would, Trixxee.

I prefer rolls with more substance, too - especially a good, real Kaiser roll (not the too-fluffy ones that some supermarket bakeries put out). Even so, I do like the Hawaiian rolls and wouldn't mind them with this (if we had them here), but I do wonder how well they would hold up with something as juicy as sloppy Joes on them.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: REVIEW: Asian Sloppy Joes - Issue 103 by labradors (Would love to see th...)
We're sure enjoying Hawaiian rolls for hot dogs lately!

Sure hope I can find all these reviews when we get back to P.A. and I can get at my new issue.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: REVIEW: Asian Sloppy Joes - Issue 103 by cjs (We're sure enjoying ...)
Here you go, Labs.

Asian Sloppy Joes – serves 8 mini sandwiches

Saute:
½ cup finely diced celery
½ cup thinly sliced scallion whites
2 T. sesame oil
2 T. each grated ginger and garlic

Add:
1 lb. ground sirloin
2 T. low sodium soy sauce
1 T. chili-garlic sauce
1 T. brown sugar

Stir in:
1 can sliced water chestnuts, drained and chopped
1 can petite diced tomatoes, lightly drained
1/3 cup hoisin sauce

Off heat stir in:
¼ cup chopped cilantro
1 T. lime juice
Salt to taste

Saute celery and scallion whites in oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat until softened, 4-5 minutes. Add garlic and ginger, cook 1 minute.
Add ground sirloin, soy sauce, chili garlic sauce, brown sugar. Crush sirloin with a potato masher to a fine consistency, cook 5 minutes. Stir in water chestnuts, tomatoes and hoisin. Reduce heat to medium and cook until thickened, about 5 minutes. Off heat stir in scallion greens and top with cilantro springs.
  Re: Re: REVIEW: Asian Sloppy Joes - Issue 103 by Trixxee (Here you go, Labs.[b...)
Thank you. That sounds really good. The one change that I would make (that would seem more characteristically Asian) is to use ground pork, instead of ground beef.

What are "petite" diced tomatoes? Do they come out wearing tiny tutus or something? Ah, I see from DelMonte's website that they are "petite cut," so very small dice. Not sure if those are available here, but since they're to be drained, anyway, I'd probably just start with fresh tomatoes.

I need to run to the store, today, anyway (actually forgot to get the ground pork for tonight's soup), so I'll also pick up the stuff for this recipe while I'm there.

Thanks!
  Re: Re: REVIEW: Asian Sloppy Joes - Issue 103 by Trixxee (Here you go, Labs.[b...)
Thanks for the review Trixxee, this is on my to make list.
  Re: Re: REVIEW: Asian Sloppy Joes - Issue 103 by losblanos1 (Thanks for the revie...)
Actually, the recipe does not call for petite cut - that was a change I made when I typed this up for a friend on FB and forgot to change it back when I posted the original recipe here.. I did not use petite cut so used a spatula to break up the tomatoes. One less step for me if I start with petite.

So the recipe as written does not have my suggested changes (except for the tomato change) but they are in the review of course (cornstarch slurry addition, etc).

Now I've probably confused everyone, including myself.
  Re: Re: REVIEW: Asian Sloppy Joes - Issue 103 by Trixxee (Actually, the recipe...)
Nope. It's quite clear. No problems. Just got back from the store with the pork for tonight's soup and also got everything needed for these.