Woohoo! Calling all cardamom lovers!
  Re: (...)
After years of not having any stores, here, that carried any form of cardamom, I found that the new supermarket has a Middle-Eastern brand of whole green cardamom pods in eight-ounce bags.

Well, even though the price was already outstanding, it had still been a little high for me when I first saw it there, but when I was there today, they had it on sale...

Only $8.00 for the eight-ounce bag!

To put that into perspective, consider this: on WalMart's website, a three-pack of 0,9-ounce jars (i.e. 2.7 ounces total) was $27! Penzey's was $20 for a four-ounce bag!

Time to make some Finnish bread, Mango Lassi, butter cookies, chai, curries, tagines, etc., etc., etc.!

Aside from what I've already been able to find in the forum (e.g. Coffee Cardamom Chicken), do any of you have any favourite cardamom recipes?

Here are three things I found out on the Web:

Tropical Grilled Pork Chops

Cardamom Doughnuts

Banana-Cardamom Milkshake

Also forgot to add this one, earlier: Malabari Chicken Stew
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Woohoo! Calling all cardamom lovers! by labradors (After years of not h...)
Have fun, Labs! Cardamom is not a flavor I'm familiar with. So I have no clue for ideas.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Woohoo! Calling all cardamom lovers! by Gourmet_Mom (Have fun, Labs! Car...)
Daphne, are you familiar with the ubiquitous Danish Butter Cookies?

Rather, are you familiar with how they used to taste 30 years ago?

Well, they USED to have cardamom in them, back then. Even though they're still good, today, they haven't been the same since the makers of those cookies stopped adding cardamom a long time ago because of the cost. Still, if you remember how those cookies USED to taste, THAT'S cardamom, but it's also good in savoury dishes - not just in baking.
  Re: Woohoo! Calling all cardamom lovers! by labradors (After years of not h...)
Labs, I have a few, mostly sweet. The most interesting ones are CARDAMOM COCONUT BROWNIES WITH WHITE CHOCOLATE, SPICED RED LENTILS, TANDOORI CHICKEN LEGS, APRICOT AND NUT PHYLO CUPS, CARDAMON VANILLA POUND CAKE, and one I am making this week, Ottolenghi's CHICKEN WITH CARAMELIZED ONION & CARDAMOM RICE. Please let me know if you'd like any of the recipes.
  Re: Re: Woohoo! Calling all cardamom lovers! by Cubangirl (Labs, I have a few, ...)
Of those, I'd like to see the lentils and the chicken legs. Thanks.
  Re: Re: Woohoo! Calling all cardamom lovers! by labradors (Of those, I'd like t...)
Here you go:
EXPORTED FROM LIVING COOKBOOK

SPICED RED LENTILS

The heat in this deeply satisfying red lentil dish—called misir wat in Amharic, the language of Ethiopia—comes mainly from berbere, the ground Ethiopian spice blend that includes chile pepper, cardamom, coriander, ajwain and fenugreek.
Make Ahead The cooked lentils can be refrigerated overnight. Reheat the dish gently before serving.

Servings: 8

Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour

1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
3 red onions
10 garlic cloves, minced
3 inch piece fresh ginger
3 TBS. berbere, plus more for sprinkling
2 tsps. nigella seeds
1 tsp. ground cardamom
Kosher salt
Freshly ground pepper
1¼ lbs. red lentils (3 cups)

Finely chop onions about 2 cups. Mince garlic. Peel and mince ginger. , Finely grind nigella seeds.

In a large enameled cast-iron casserole, heat the olive oil. Add the onions and cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until they are softened and just starting to brown, about 8 minutes. Add the garlic, ginger, berbere, nigella seeds, cardamom and a generous pinch each of salt and black pepper and cook until fragrant and deeply colored, about 10 minutes.

Add the red lentils with 8 cups of water to the casserole and bring to a boil. Cover and cook over moderately low heat, stirring occasionally, until the lentils have cooked down and thickened, 25 minutes. Season the lentils with salt and pepper. Ladle the lentils into bowls, sprinkle with berbere and serve.

Recipe Type: Ethiopian Food, Food and Wine, Lentils, Make-Ahead, Onions, Side Dish

Author: Hiyaw Gebreyohannes
Source: Food and Wine November 2012
Web Page: http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/spiced-red-lentils

TANDOORI CHICKEN LEGS

These legs get a triple blast of flavor: first from a soak in lemon juice and salt, then from a pungent marinade of spices and yogurt (which also tenderizes the meat), and finally from a bit of butter brushed on at the end of cooking. Removing the skin from your chicken legs before grilling may seem like a waste of potentially crisp deliciousness, but it helps the marinade penetrate the meat more easily, as does making deep slashes in the meat before marinating.

Servings: 6

Preparation Time: 30 minutes
Cooking Time: 30 minutes
Inactive Time: 11 hours
Total Time: 12 hours

FOR THE CHICKEN:
2 TBS. fresh lemon juice
Kosher
6 whole chicken legs (2 to 3 lb.)
1 TBS. Vegetable oil
FOR THE MARINADE:
1 TBS. finely grated fresh ginger
1 garlic, minced
Kosher
1/3 cup plain whole-milk yogurt
3 TBS. vegetable oil
1½ tsp. fresh lemon juice
1 tsp. sweet paprika
3/4 tsp. hot dry mustard
1/2 tsp. ground cumin
1/2 tsp. ground coriander
1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
1/4 tsp. ground cardamom
1/4 tsp. ground turmeric
1/4 tsp. cayenne
1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
FOR FINISHING:
2 oz. unsalted butter, melted (4 TBS.)
1/2 cup fresh cilantro leaves
1 small red onion, thinly sliced
1 medium lime, cut into wedges

PREPARE THE CHICKEN:

Combine the lemon juice and 1 tsp. salt in a large zip-top plastic bag and massage the bag until the salt crystals dissolve.

Pull the skin off the chicken legs. Using a sharp knife, make 2 or 3 deep slashes in each leg, almost to the bone. Toss the chicken legs in the lemon juice, seal the bag, and refrigerate for 15 minutes.

MARINATE THE CHICKEN:

Mash the ginger, garlic, and 1 tsp. salt to a paste with the side of a large knife and transfer the paste to a small mixing bowl. Whisk in the remaining marinade ingredients. Add the marinade to the chicken legs and massage the bag to thoroughly coat the legs. Seal the bag and refrigerate the chicken for at least 4 hours but preferably 12 to 24 hours.

GRILL THE CHICKEN:

Prepare a gas or charcoal grill fire for indirect grilling over medium-high heat (400°F).

If using a charcoal grill, bank the coals to one side. Put a 9x13-inch foil drip pan on the grate next to the coals and fill it halfway with water. Replace the grill grate.

If using a gas grill, put a 9" X 13" foil drip pan on the inactive burners and fill it halfway with water. Replace the grill grate.

Clean the grate with a wire brush and, using tongs, wipe the grate with a paper towel or cloth dipped in oil.

Arrange the legs over the drip pan and away from the heat. Grill, flipping once, until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the meat reads 170°F, 25 to 30 minutes.

Transfer the chicken to a platter and brush each leg with the melted butter. Garnish with the cilantro leaves, onion slices, and lime wedges and serve.

Recipe Type: Asian Dish, Chicken, Chicken Leg, Fine Cooking, Lemon, Lime, Onions

Author: Steven Raichlen
Source: Fine Cooking 5/2012, 117 , page 46
Web Page: http://www.finecooking.com/recipes/tando...-legs.aspx
  Re: Re: Woohoo! Calling all cardamom lovers! by Cubangirl (Here you go:[br]EXPO...)
Thank you very much! I know I'll like those.

How important is the cooking vessel for the lentil recipe. Although I do have a few pieces of cast iron, none are enamelled. It sounds like something that would probably be better in a regular stainless pot than in non-enamelled cast iron. I notice that the original recipe at the Food & Wine link provided no real explanation for the choice, nor any alternatives.
  Re: Re: Woohoo! Calling all cardamom lovers! by labradors (Thank you very much!...)
Sharon will jump on this with both feet!! She loves to cook with cardamom. I have a few favorites - don't know why I don't use it more, we do like the flavor!!

I'll have to look up what I've made - I think I made the coffee chicken.....
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Woohoo! Calling all cardamom lovers! by cjs (Sharon will jump on ...)
Labs, that's a great price! I thought it was high, then I looked at my container that I buy in bulk. $49.99 a lb!!! we love it. In savoury dishes we usually use the seeds, but for baking I use the ground. Pear/cardamom jam, apple cardamom muffins. It goes really well with fruit.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Woohoo! Calling all cardamom lovers! by cjs (Sharon will jump on ...)
What me? Huh? Cardamom . . .

Labs I've found Middle Eastern markets usually have Cardamom pods cheaper than other sources. I also found that there is a HUGE difference in tasted between store brand ground Cardamom and Penzeys.

I love making Thai coffee, crushed cardamom pods in the filter basket with the coffee and then sweetened condensed milk. Yum. I have lots of recipes that call for Cardamom but my all time favorite is Grandmother Pearl's Swedish Meatballs (recipe is posted on here somewhere & is in Billy's cookbook). It's one of my all time favorites.

I'm going to check out your recipes! They sound interesting.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!