OT - Bridal Expo
  Re: (...)
So last fall I was approached by a radio station about 20 miles south of here asking if I would be interested in hosting a bridal expo in Jan. I jumped at the chance. This Sunday I have 28 vendors setting up in my banquet hall and at this point 142 brides registered. I figure they will all come with a posse, so I potentially have 500+ looking at my facility! Not to mention that they have advertised this on their 3 radio stations, I swear, every 10 minutes! I couldn't possibly have afforded advertising like that!

I am getting nervous! I am going to offer a few of my easy to assemble apps, have commandeered a corner by the kitchen and am setting up a round with my beautiful new floor length linens and chair covers. I played nice, I didn't ban any competition since I firmly believe I can run with the big dogs, so I will have several other venues exhibiting. I put together a small handout highlighting what sets me apart from the competition, and a loop to run on the computer with some of the shots from previous weddings.

But I will be glad when it is Sunday at 5 p.m. Did I mention I also took on a baby shower to take place at the same time in the dining room? Such a glutton for punishment, but I am so determined to make this place work!

So send me good thoughts, this is just such a major jumping off place for me!
  Re: OT - Bridal Expo by iBcookin (So last fall I was a...)
Linda that sounds wonderful! You are certainly going for it and learning so much. I am so excited for you!
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: OT - Bridal Expo by Harborwitch (Linda that sounds wo...)
How exciting! Positive thoughts are definitely headed your way!!
  Re: Re: OT - Bridal Expo by karyn (How exciting! Positi...)
Good luck and wow! what great advertising!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: OT - Bridal Expo by cjs (Good luck and wow! w...)
Fantastic! Be sure to come back and let us know how it all turns out. You will do great!
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: OT - Bridal Expo by Mare749 (Fantastic! Be sure t...)
Awesome news! Good luck! I know you will do great!!!!!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: OT - Bridal Expo by Gourmet_Mom (Awesome news! Good ...)
Great job ahead Linda!! From someone who has worked at an Expo for many years, and you may think about this, have some regular food available for sale and lots and lots of water and other fluids available.

Yes, the brides will want to see and taste the caterers (and where the heck was this when I got married?), but girls just wanna have fun and eat and drink.

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Re: OT - Bridal Expo by BarbaraS (Great job ahead Lind...)
Well done, Linda! We've been going to 2 a year for the last 5 years (as vendors). If you want some ideas, let me know.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: OT - Bridal Expo by Lorraine (Well done, Linda! W...)
Linda what a phenomenal opportunity!! Cannot wait to see pictures. You are going to do wonderfully
  Re: Re: OT - Bridal Expo by DFen911 (Linda what a phenome...)
Soo glad it is over! It went really well, and I learned a lot. One, I way over-estimated the amount of apps that they would try, so I have a lot of that stuff left (I think I am going to zap the bruschetta and freeze it and add it to the spaghetti and meatballs that I have to cater this weekend). But this is a meat and potatoes kind of area and the caprese picks were just too out there (so frustrating!) The vendors were happy the last 1/2 hour, when I just brought out plates and they helped themselves.

You were right Barbara - I did have a couple of sandwich specials for the vendors and even some of the brides ate. Plus it was all of 5 degrees with a 20 mph wind, brutal weather, so I made up some broccoli and cheese soup. Something like 153 brides were registered. I would say that I seriously pitched maybe about 8 that had not committed to a venue yet, so there might be something coming out of all the work.

The vendors all responded well to my facility, and we are committed for the same weekend next year, so yeah! Bring on more free advertising!! But I am really glad it is over! Now I just have to deal with the mess and make my notes for next year!

Curiously, David's Bridal has done this for years with this radio station. Is a prime vendor, wants the FIRST booth at the door, wants two spots. Not a problem, shows up at 10:51. Show starts at 11:00. He is holding up the brides at the entrance to the banquet room, told them that he was releasing the brides at 11 whether they were ready or not. I had our table across the room and watched the two sales people texting on their phone the entire time. What a waste!