A Day at the Beach!!
  Re: (...)
What an absolutley delicious day at the beach we had yesterday!! I think it was the best day of this entire 'jinxed' trip, that's for sure.

We were headed for Gold Beach (Oregon), but the road was so squirrely and narrow, we gave up 26 miles away and ended up at Brookings Harbor - which was perfect!! Sharon and Denise (and Trixxee - if you ever take the RV out of CA!), the most beautiful RV park right on the ocean!

[Image: Jan24RVBEachatHarborOR1_zps82ee74a4.jpg]

This is just across from the sites -
[Image: Jan24meatHarborBeach_zpsbde16108.jpg]

It was 74° and sunny and stunning!!

We drove back to Grants Pass for an early dinner and found Shirley's Bistro and this stop just added to the perfection of the day. Chayse, bartender/mgr. welcomed us like family and the biggest surprise was seeing Simi wine on their wine list. Simi is a winery in Healdsburg, CA that was our Saturday morning watering hole for 8 years - we loved that place and I have not seen their wines on any menu for years. We ordered the 2011 Cab and we both were happy campers (or drinkers!)

This is one of the starters we had - Crispy Polenta with peppers and onions smothered in a Creamy Mushroom Sauce. I can't tell you how good this was! Got the sauce recipe too! So simple - reduced heavy cream with Parm - that's it. and then the red peppers, onions, mushrooms and a few baby spinach leaves thrown in.

[Image: Jan24PolentawMushroomOnionPepperSauce_zpsdc346414.jpg]

We also tried the Coconut shrimp and Chayse kindly brought out all 5 sauces they have for us to try. The apricot sauce was a real winner.

[Image: Jan24CoconutShrimp_zps6f2839b3.jpg]

And, to top it all off I beat Roy 2 to 1 at cribbage when we got home!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: A Day at the Beach!! by cjs (What an absolutley d...)
Sounds like the perfect day, Jean. Finally! What a shame that your trip has not been as great as last year. Love your photos, especially the food. Don't you just love it when you find a gem like that?
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: A Day at the Beach!! by Mare749 (Sounds like the perf...)
You bet!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: A Day at the Beach!! by cjs (You bet!...)
Brookings is on our list of possible work camping spots. I love Brookings!

It looks beautiful! The food all looks divine.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: A Day at the Beach!! by Harborwitch (Brookings is on our ...)
First we need to get the RV out of the county, nevermind the state! Looks and sounds just lovely. I know I would love it. That is some crazy warm weather for OR!
  Re: Re: A Day at the Beach!! by Trixxee (First we need to get...)
What a great spot, Jean, and the polenta looks fabulous!
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: A Day at the Beach!! by Lorraine (What a great spot, J...)
The camp site and food look wonderful! Lucky find!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.