This One's For Blane!
  Re: (...)
Sunday, February 09, 2014

Blane, Roberto was a friend from the first food forum a lot of us here belonged to in the early 2000s, Chef2Chef. He had some of the most interesting Italian recipes that he shared with us and it’s taken me this many years to try the Asparagus!

Was looking for something to do with a bunch of asparagus that needed to be used and ran across this dish from Roberto years ago. I think Sharon passed this along to me while back. It sounded interesting to me, so decided to go with it. But, seems the only thing I really had for the recipe was the asparagus…..

Went with it anyway, with lots of subs -

Sparagio Fritzi (Fried Asparagus Patties) - Roberto

1 bundle fresh asparagus
10 slices prosciutto (none – used spicy turkey sausage)
grated Parmesan (none – used feta)
2 cloves garlic minced
salt & pepper
Seasoned bread crumbs
2 eggs beaten
olive oil for frying

Wash the Asparagus, trim the tough ends then parboil for about 10 minutes drain, cool and chop coarsely. Chop the prosciutto into small pieces Combine the chopped asparagus, ham, garlic, good shot of Parmesan, eggs, salt & pepper, mix well and form into patties about the size of a hamburger. Put your breadcrumbs in a dish and gently place the patties in the crumbs and spoon crumbs over to coat and pat gently to make it stick.

[Image: Feb9Asparagus-SparagioFritzi_zpsfa25b3f5.jpg]

Fry in hot olive oil till golden season with a little more S&P and serve hot.

Mom used to put a few drops of vinegar on hers I prefered a little tobasco sauce I could never get Grandma to add crushed red pepper to the patties Wats a matta you? you father won'ta mangiarre it if it'sa too spicy!"

Hope this may be close to what you remember. If not, give it a go anyway these are wonderful.

Roberto - 11/13/2004 6:22 PM Wow, 10 years ago! I miss Roberto.

Finishing them in about an hour, so will report back.
-------
Ready to be browned -
[Image: Feb9Asparaguspattysreadytocook_zpsad013dd9.jpg]

Browning -
[Image: Feb9Asparaguspattysbrowning_zps699b7da9.jpg]

Plated
[Image: Feb9Asparaguspattyssteaktatos_zps8180eefc.jpg]

(Note: the only bad thing about dinner - I overcooked the darn T-Bone. The Olympics are rally screwing me up!!!!)

These are delicious – Roberto mentioned in his post (above) about adding red pepper flakes to the ‘batter.’ I think I will next time, but I figured I'd changed his recipe enough for the first time. A real winner of a side dish, that’s for sure.

Hope you give them a try Blane and everyone else!!

P.S. edited to add - I didn't think the patties had cooked long enough as I was browning them, so transferred to a b. sheet and finished them in the oven for a few mintues. That gave me time to 'overcook' my steak!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: This One's For Blane! by cjs (Sunday, February 09,...)
I just may have to try these. I have all the ingredients
  Re: Re: This One's For Blane! by DFen911 (I just may have to t...)
I'm anxious to see how they are in a sandwich!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: This One's For Blane! by cjs (I'm anxious to see h...)
Beautiful!
  Re: Re: This One's For Blane! by Trixxee (Beautiful!...)
That really looks good. Copied! Thanks for sharing Jean.
  Re: Re: This One's For Blane! by losblanos1 (That really looks go...)
You're welcome.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: This One's For Blane! by cjs (You're welcome....)
If asparagus ever comes down, I'll try these! After a few servings of them roasted with garlic...of course!

I miss him, too! And he lived really close to me, too!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: This One's For Blane! by Gourmet_Mom (If asparagus ever co...)
I made these when Roberto first gave me the recipe - they were so good. I can't wait to make them again as soon as the price of green "gold" comes down.

I hope we can get a case of Asparagus before we go home. The stuff fresh out of the field lasted for a month in a cooler on ice. This time it won't last that long we have lots of friends who LOVE asparagus.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: This One's For Blane! by Harborwitch (I made these when Ro...)
Daphne how much is it where you are? Should be a bit cheaper right now with early spring shoots coming up. We're currently at $1.80 a pound.
  Re: Re: This One's For Blane! by DFen911 (Daphne how much is i...)
And, we're at $1.99 lb.

Used the last 2 patties in sliders with smoked ketchup - and, I'm repeating myself, but died and gone to heaven!!

When we were doing a lot of traveling (in the trailer) for business (Roy's) - whenever we were in Spokane area, a friend, Tim, would make sure we got asparagus right out of the field and I remember beng amazed at how long it lasted, too, Sharon. Makes you wonder.
www.achefsjourney.com