Monday's Dinner, 2/10/14
  Re: (...)
What's on the menu for everyone today?

I'm going to make Brioche Buns from an old C@H - issue #87, June 2011.

I have 2 asparagus patties left and some smoked turkey, so we'll be having sliders twice today.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Monday's Dinner, 2/10/14 by cjs (What's on the menu f...)
I'm making a creamy chicken slow cooker dish but first I'm going to flour and brown the chicken.

http://www.realsimple.com/food-recipes/b...00000000052389/
  Re: Re: Monday's Dinner, 2/10/14 by Trixxee (I'm making a creamy ...)
Tonight it's Swedish pancakes with blueberry sauce and sausage.
  Re: Re: Monday's Dinner, 2/10/14 by losblanos1 (Tonight it's Swedish...)
Well my brioche buns weren't done until 3:30 so for lunch time we had hot dogs - but not just any hotdogs!! We had Circus Dogs - from issue 70, page 44. that slaw is wonderful!!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Monday's Dinner, 2/10/14 by cjs (Well my brioche buns...)
Trixxee, that slow cooker recipe sounds delicious!

We're having a chicken stir-fry, but I've really had to improvise...no cornstarch, hoisin, or fresh garlic. I can't believe this is my kitchen!!!
  Re: Re: Monday's Dinner, 2/10/14 by karyn (Trixxee, that slow c...)
Jean, I love those circus dogs, I made them for the first time a couple of months ago. Are those brioche buns hard to make?
  Re: Re: Monday's Dinner, 2/10/14 by losblanos1 (Jean, I love those c...)
Karyn, I know how you feel - I emptied my garlic chili paste, oyster sauce, sambal oelek, hoisin, & soy sauce all in about 3 days!

Blane, the dough is kind of a pain - it's so soft it's hard to work with. But, the flavor is wonderful.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Monday's Dinner, 2/10/14 by cjs (Karyn, I know how yo...)
I HATE when I run out of staples! Because a lot of them require a trip to the city to specialty shops! And isn't it weird how every few cycles, they ALL run out at the same time?!?!?

Tonight I wanted to cook what I had on hand. So Granny Warren's Hamburger Pie was served. (Almost like yours, Jean, but no cheese.) I sent half over to the kids. Aleana has never had it. She loved it! Poor dears were killing it cutting, hauling, and stacking wood! We're set to have some nasty weather in the next few days!!!! AGAIN!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Monday's Dinner, 2/10/14 by cjs (Karyn, I know how yo...)
Uhm - I was going to make pastitsio. We found ground lamb at the store today at a really great price, but spent the afternoon making a new bed for our "kids". Right now I know we're having a salad . . . and a version of my grandmother's tamale casserole - wow! Inspiration.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Monday's Dinner, 2/10/14 by Gourmet_Mom (I HATE when I run ou...)
Quote:

I HATE when I run out of staples! Because a lot of them require a trip to the city to specialty shops!

That's one of the great things about Latin America: if you run out of staples (true staples), there's almost always a pulperia (in my case, three pulperias and a mini-super) only two or three blocks away. Milk, juice, eggs, rice, oil, shortening, beans, snacks, sodas, a few cereals, salt, pepper, cumin, cinnamon, garlic, bouillon, etc. - all within a brief walk.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?