Pastitsio of the Gods!
  Re: (...)
All I can say is that is was worth every bit of work, and the mess! If I'd had more room to do it in stages it would have been easier. The bechamel layer was the real treat! It was like a very rich souffle!

First off - bait!

[Image: IMG_8188_zpsc7381b0b.jpg]

Pastitsio – Baked Pasta with Meat & Bechamel Topping (Recipe from About.com Greek food)

Prep Time: 45 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour, 30 minutes

Ingredients:

1/2 cup olive oil
2 lbs. ground beef (or ground lamb, or a mixture of both)
1 large yellow onion, chopped
1 cup dry white wine
1 14 oz. can tomato puree or sauce
3 tbsp. chopped fresh parsley
1/2 tsp. ground allspice
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 1/2 cups grated Parmesan cheese (or Kefalotyri if available)
salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
3 tbsp. breadcrumbs

1 pkg. #2 Macaroni for Pastitsio (500g)- available at Greek or ethnic groceries. You can substitute ziti or penne
4 egg whites (reserve the yolks for bechamel sauce)
1/2 cup unsalted butter (1 stick)

For the bechamel sauce:
1 cup unsalted butter (2 sticks)
1 cup all purpose flour
1 quart milk, warmed
8 egg yolks, beaten lightly
a pinch of ground nutmeg

Note: Cut pasta like ziti or penne can flatten more than the long Pastitsio noodles, which tend to get twisted when layered. I suggest cooking 2 lbs. of cut pasta to ensure that you have adequate coverage of the pan. If you prefer, you can scale that back to 1 lb.
Preparation:

This recipe will yield about 24 servings depending upon the size of your pieces. I use a lasagna pan that is roughly 12 x 18 x 3 inches deep.

Begin with the Meat Filling:
Heat olive oil in a large saute pan. Add ground beef and cook over medium-high heat until pink color disappears, about 5 minutes. Add onions and cook until they are translucent, about 5 minutes more.

Add wine, tomato sauce, parsley, allspice, cinnamon, salt, and pepper and allow sauce to simmer over low heat for 10 minutes. While sauce is simmering put water on to boil for pasta.

Cook pasta noodles according to package directions and drain well. Rinse noodles in colander under cold water to cool them slightly.

Stir in 3 tbsp. breadcrumbs to meat sauce to absorb excess liquid and remove from heat.

Melt 1/2 cup butter in pasta pot and return cooked noodles to the pot. Stir in beaten egg whites and 1 cup of grated cheese and toss lightly, being careful not to break the noodles.

Brush the bottom and sides of the lasagna pan with olive oil. Layer the bottom with half the pasta noodles and press down so that they are somewhat flat.

Add the meat filling in an even layer to the pasta. Top with remaining pasta noodles and flatten top layer as best you can.

Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees while you prepare the bechamel sauce.

Bechamel Sauce:
Melt butter in a saucepan over low heat. Using a whisk, add flour to melted butter whisking continuously to make a smooth paste or roux. Allow the flour/butter mixture to cook for a minute but do not allow it to brown.

Add warmed milk to mixture in a steady stream, whisking continuously. Simmer over low heat until it thickens but does not boil.

Remove from heat and stir in beaten egg yolks. Add pinch of nutmeg. If sauce still needs to thicken, return to heat and cook over very low heat while continuing to stir.

Bechamel is thicker than gravy but not quite as thick as pudding. It should be somewhere in between. One way to tell if it is thick enough is to dip your wooden spoon in the sauce and draw your finger across the back of the spoon. If the sauce holds a visible line then it is thick enough.

Pour the bechamel over the pasta noodles making sure to pour sauce down in to the corners as well. Sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup of grated Parmesan cheese. Bake in 350 degree oven for approximately 45 minutes or until the top is a nice golden color.

It is ready for the oven!

[Image: IMG_8185_zps093d89be.jpg]

My back was giving it up so I only did one layer of the pasta:

[Image: IMG_8191_zps6fb2742d.jpg]

And . . . in the end this was all that was left!

[Image: IMG_8193_zps23715f4d.jpg]

This was a stunning dish. Bob agrees that this is the one we will make from now on!
Changes:
A bit more salt, cinnamon & allspice in the meat sauce.
A bit more nutmeg in the bechamel.
I was out of parm but had some cotija and used that - it was excellent.
I did use half lamb and half ground beef.

For the first time ever: The mess!
[Image: IMG_8186_zps91324824.jpg]
And this does not include the frying pan and 2 saucepans that were used.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Pastitsio of the Gods! by Harborwitch (All I can say is tha...)
YUM! Duly copied!

Quote:

My back was giving it up so I only did one layer of the pasta:

Sit at the table for such things. Makes quite a difference.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Pastitsio of the Gods! by labradors (YUM! Duly copied![b...)
Hope your back feels better soon! We love pastitsio, and have been making it with pulled lamb we had in the freezer, so worth the effort. And yes, the bechamel,for me, makes the dish!

Labs, I sure wish I could work sitting down, but just can't do it. I try to always wear my good work shoes, and stand on the anti fatigue mat. Makes the world of difference.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Pastitsio of the Gods! by labradors (YUM! Duly copied![b...)
I wish I could sit Labs. We have talked about getting a bar stool for me to sit on in the kitchen - but space in the motor home is a huge issue. There are moments when I wish we'd gone the trailer path instead of the motor home.

Lorraine I have an appointment with another doctor Friday! I will find the reason and a fix.
  Re: Re: Pastitsio of the Gods! by Harborwitch (I wish I could sit L...)
This sounds amazing, Sharon. Thanks for posting and hope you feel better soon.

A bar stool can even be helpful in the kitchen, although my favorite was a very old step stool that my mom bought at a garage sale many years ago. So handy because I'm short so need a step stool in the kitchen anyway. And easy on the back because you can just kind of lean/half sit back on it while working at a counter.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Pastitsio of the Gods! by Mare749 (This sounds amazing,...)
We're looking for one - probably hit a thrift store to find one of those old ones.
  Re: Pastitsio of the Gods! by Harborwitch (All I can say is tha...)
Sharon,

This looks awesome!! I want to make this for Sunday dinner and halve the recipe for the two of us.

So my question is, how many ounces of pasta did you use in the original recipe? I will print this out and keep it at its original size for future purposes. Thanks!!

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Re: Pastitsio of the Gods! by BarbaraS (Sharon,[br][br]This ...)
Barbara I just halved everything and used 8 oz of pasta.
  Re: Re: Pastitsio of the Gods! by Harborwitch (Barbara I just halve...)
I found the #2 macaroni on Amazon. I have to make this! It just looks and sounds delicious. Thanks Sharon.
  Re: Re: Pastitsio of the Gods! by losblanos1 (I found the #2 macar...)
Shoot, me too - haven't made it for so long!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com