Saturday's Dinner, 2/15/14??
  Re: Re: Saturday's Dinner, 2/15/14?? by DFen911 (Roasting a chicken f...)
King crab is so spendy. Fortunately, we have Dungeness crab here which in my opinion tastes much better.

Carylann's cooking a new (for us) Cuisine at Home recipe, Pappardelle with Chicken, mushrooms and wine. The recipe has a rabbit option, has anyone had rabbit before?
  Re: Re: Saturday's Dinner, 2/15/14?? by losblanos1 (King crab is so spen...)
Dungeness Crab rules!!!!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Saturday's Dinner, 2/15/14?? by Gourmet_Mom (Oh happy day!!!! Th...)
Quote:

Oh happy day!!!! The power was just restored! Now to clean up the kitchen, clean out the fridge, do laundry, and take a shower!!!!!

Dinner will be the most extravagant thing I can get my hands on!! But something easy. I expect to be pooped!!!!

Congratulations, Daphne! A warm shower would have been the high point of my day if I were in your position! I hope you have a productive day!

We were so fortunate to not lose power, and to have enough melting for us to drive safely to the airport so that we could fly to more snow in Pittsburgh...sigh.

We ate lunch at a Polish Deli on the Strip in Pittsburgh. The pierogies were good, but the house-smoked kielbasa was amazing! My MIL had never been to the restaurant/deli, and had no idea it was there, which makes me realize I need to spend more time investigating ethnic food in my part of the world. I've found an amazing Middle Eastern deli, but still don't have a good source for homemade tortillas. I'm sure there's one around!

Now, my two cents on the King Crab/Dungeness Crab debate...unless I'm in Alaska and they've just pulled the KC out of the ocean, I prefer Dungeness...but anytime someone wants to buy either for me, I'll be their best friend! LOL!!
  Re: Re: Saturday's Dinner, 2/15/14?? by karyn ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Well, dinner options were limited. So William grilled us some nice Angus Rib Eyes and baked potatoes.

But tomorrow, we will head to either the city or Wrightsville Beach or Myrtle Beach for our Valentine dinner after church. We won't be able to linger too long. I've still got four loads of laundry to finish, the fridge to clean out, and lesson plans to make.

But good news is my floors and kitchen are really clean, and so am I! If you could have seen the pile of dishes and mess on my floors, you would realize that this was monumental! I think everything in my kitchen was dirty! I have never been so happy to have hot water! And my bed linens are clean again, also! Not bad, if I do say so myself. And thankfully, my devices finally have a full charge, and I didn't have to crank the car to get a charge!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Saturday's Dinner, 2/15/14?? by DFen911 (Roasting a chicken f...)
Denise we keep looking at those! I'm not sure why, but we left a Farberware rotisserie in ND. I'm not sure why; it doesn't weigh anything, and doesn't take a lot of room. It works great but takes longer than a Ronco. Those things are amazing!
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Saturday's Dinner, 2/15/14?? by Harborwitch (Denise we keep looki...)
Oh Daphne, welcome back to the world of 'life is good' Looking thru your list of things, not being able to change the bed woiuld be the worst for me, I think.

I swear when I'm a millionaire, I will have someone change my bed daily - there is nothing I like better than freshly dried outdooors sheets!!!! Ridiculous, I know.

Our tamale party??? O my, what a wonderful dinner!! My only problem I could not eat enough. After my first plate, I sat wishing I was just starting out again!! Everything was that good.

My tamale making was a real fiasco, not fun at all doing it alone and not in a group drinking all the while.....I almost didn't take mine to the party (hoping there would be enough other tamales and food to cover me) - I thought there was just too much masa and too little filling and they just looked like hell.

But, they turned out pretty tasty afterall, if I do say so myself. I'll post some pictures on facebook. There was not an outstanding dish because everything together was just such a wonderful blend of complimentary flavors.

Now, the problem I have is the beef and chili mixture (the filling) - I have so much left over, what shall I do with it?? I'll freeze it in small pkgs. until I get some ideas. I also have some leftover tamales that I'll stick in the freezer for later, also.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Saturday's Dinner, 2/15/14?? by cjs (Oh Daphne, welcome b...)
The clean bed was truly wonderful to sink into!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Saturday's Dinner, 2/15/14?? by cjs (Oh Daphne, welcome b...)
Wrap it in egg roll wrappers seal and deep fry. Stuff pasilla/poblano peppers. Make a "tamale pie". Quesadillas.

Now I want o make tamales more than ever.
  Re: Re: Saturday's Dinner, 2/15/14?? by Harborwitch (Wrap it in egg roll ...)
Stuff pasilla/poblano peppers

sounds like a winner. OH!! with Billy's (why do I think of Billy with this one?) walnut sauce!!

Tamale pie, maybe
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Saturday's Dinner, 2/15/14?? by cjs (Stuff pasilla/poblan...)
Quote:

Stuff pasilla/poblano peppers

sounds like a winner. OH!! with Billy's (why do I think of Billy with this one?) walnut sauce!!

I know! Now I want those too.