Sunday Dinner, 2/23/14??
  Re: (...)
Happy Sunday, everyone - what's on the menu for today??

I'm going to try to 'rehydrate' my oil poached-hockey stick ribs............. But we're having Mexican quesadillas for brunch with a little bubbly.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Sunday Dinner, 2/23/14?? by cjs (Happy Sunday, everyo...)
I'm making a white bean chicken chile (it's green - no tomatoes whatsoever). Haven't made it in ages and I have all the ingredients.
  Re: Sunday Dinner, 2/23/14?? by cjs (Happy Sunday, everyo...)
I have a 3.5 lb sirloin part of a leg of lamb. Going to roast it, but having a hard time finding what seasonings I want to use. I don't want cumin flavors and Derek doesn't like rosemary, and neither of us like mint

So off to search I go!
  Re: Re: Sunday Dinner, 2/23/14?? by DFen911 (I have a 3.5 lb sirl...)
Daphne we like oregano, garlic, cracked pepper. We love to butterfly it out and grill it with tons of oregano, cracked pepper, salt, garlic and lemon zest - drizzling with lemon juice now and then. As the 2nd side gets done we sprinkled with fresh parsley, lemon zest, and feta. Da#n, I wish I had some lamb . . . We had a Greek friend who used a shoulder roast with garlic, oregano, pepper, and red wine to braise for hours. It was so good. (I also discovered that if you mix raspberry vinegar and mint jelly 2 to 1 and heat until a bit thickened it makes a nice sauce for lamb.

I think I'm going to throw a pot roast in the crockpot. It's a bit late - but I work until 7:00 so it'll work. I think turnips, carrots, & potatoes ti go with.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Sunday Dinner, 2/23/14?? by Harborwitch (Daphne we like orega...)
Denise, here's an old family favorite - you've probably found what you want to do, but maybe keep it for another time.

* Exported from MasterCook *

BUTTERFLIED LEG OF LAMB

Pomegranate marinade:
2 large onions, cut into chunks
2 cloves garlic
1 cup pomegranate juice
1/2 cup dry red wine
1/2 lemon, unpeeled and cut into chunks
2 teaspoons basil leaves
1/2 tablespoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
----------
1 8 lb. legs of lamb, trimmed and butterflied (not difficult nor time-consuming)

Marinade: Combine all ingredients in a food processor or blender (in batches if necessary) and puree.

Arrange lamb in a 10X14" roasting pan. Pour half the marinade over the lamb and turning to cover completely.
Marinate 8-10 hours, or up to 2 days in the refrigerator.
Wipe excess marinade from lamb.

Grill the lamb to a temperature of 130 F.

Note for testing - I think we basted these with some of the marinade while they grilled. - try it - but I don't have that in the instructions.

---------------------
Here's our homage to Daphne's day - Mexican Quesadilla with bubbly from Sutherlin, OR!!

prepping -
[Image: Feb23MexQuesadilla1_zpse57c49c9.jpg]

and....
[Image: Feb23MexQuesadilla4_zps74aedab4.jpg]
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Sunday Dinner, 2/23/14?? by cjs (Denise, here's an ol...)
My leg of lamb is just the sirloin part and just barely 3.5 pounds. I love the flavor profile of yours. I am saving this for when I get a bigger cut. Thank you Jean
We are having a special program at church today and tomorrow. One morning service today and two at night, today and tomorrow. All the local church choirs have members join our choir for special music with an early evening practice. So dinner will be something on the run.

I will say that I had a treat today for lunch. Our church sponsors a Relay for Life Team. With increased attendance today, they sponsored a Soup and Sandwich Luncheon as a fundraiser. Kristie, a fellow teacher and choir member, has a similar passion to cooking. I've tried to get her to join us. Maybe I'll use this as a shove. When I saw she had cooked soup, she pointed to her "Olive Garden Soup". I know several of you have mentioned the Zuppa Tuscano. Well she made her own low carb take on that using cauliflower instead of rice and her broth was clear. I also think she subbed collards for kale. It was WONDERFUL!

If I can't get her to join and post it, I'll post it when she gives it to me.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Sunday Dinner, 2/23/14?? by Gourmet_Mom (We are having a spec...)
That quesadilla looks delicious. It sounds like you're having a very nice birthday Daphne.

We have company for dinner, so I'm making my all time favorite steak recipe from Cuisine at Home. They call it Essential steak, pan seared filets, with shallots, a balsamic reduction and bleu cheese. The sides will be a good old fashioned baked potato with all the fixins and of course, asparagus. I wanted to make the Irish cream cheesecake from issue #104, but I will not have enough time.
Denise, do you have any Herbes de Provence? We love it on lamb with some garlic thrown in.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Sunday Dinner, 2/23/14?? by Lorraine (Denise, do you have ...)
I think so. I found a recipe using lots of fresh thyme that I'm going to try and then I'm making Julia Childs lamb garlic gravy to go with it