Need Flavoring Suggestions, Please
  Re: (...)
I made a Butternut Squash Couscous dish from Cooking.com today and while it looked from the ingredients that it would have flavor, I was really underwhelmed.

We did like everything in it, but it just need 'more' - I'm not that familiar with Moroccan cooking, so I'd like some suggestions.

[Image: Feb25BSquashCouscous_zps5280c078.jpg]

Butternut Squash Couscous

All that seems to be going thru my head right now is the old mantra - 'sweet, sour, salty, bitter' This dish has none of these.

Maybe some cummin? I know preserved lemons are used in this type of cooking - 'course I don't have any. So, how about some ideas.

One thing that really helped was drizzling some of the banana ketchup over all, but I don't want to use all my ketchup on this!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Need Flavoring Suggestions, Please by cjs (I made a Butternut S...)
Paprika
Cumin
Tumeric
Ginger
  Re: Re: Need Flavoring Suggestions, Please by Trixxee (Paprika[br]Cumin[br]...)
Yes, ginger would have helped early on....
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Need Flavoring Suggestions, Please by cjs (Yes, ginger would ha...)
The ginger would start to pull it in a more Indian direction than Moroccan.

Increase the cinnamon a bit, add some cumin, add some lemon juice and replace some of the parsley with cilantro.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Need Flavoring Suggestions, Please by labradors (The ginger would sta...)
I really don't even need to stay with the Moroccan - nothing wrong with fusion.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Need Flavoring Suggestions, Please by cjs (I really don't even ...)
Ginger is used a lot in Moroccan food. Diced red Chiles, mint, cilantro, lemon or lime juice, parsley, butter. Hot, sour, salty, sweet! Ras al Hanout, I need to make some more.

I have been burying myself in Moroccan/Ethiopian recipes the last few days. "Moroccan - a Culinary Journey of Discovery" and "The Soul of A New Cuisine" by Marcus Samuelson are heavily bookmarked along with recipes from the meal we cooked years ago.

Tomorrow is going to be Ethiopian/Moroccan since I found Teff flour. I also found all the goodies to make that Israeli Couscous mix! I am so excited.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Need Flavoring Suggestions, Please by Harborwitch (Ginger is used a lot...)
Are you going to make Injera?

For the Moroccan, paprika, ginger, turmeric, cumin, saffron. cilantro, parsley olives and preserved lemons as well.
  Re: Re: Need Flavoring Suggestions, Please by Cubangirl (Are you going to mak...)
Yes we'll have injera! I am going to use the recipe from "Soul of a New Cuisine" this time. I am contemplating looking for a recipe for millet from Africa.

It's been a long time . . .
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Need Flavoring Suggestions, Please by Harborwitch (Yes we'll have injer...)
Quote:

Yes we'll have injera! I am going to use the recipe from "Soul of a New Cuisine" this time.

Have you made anything else from that book, yet? I have the book, but haven't tried anything from it, yet.

Quote:

I am contemplating looking for a recipe for millet from Africa.

Although I don't see any specific millet recipes there (just references to millet flour, etc. - even millet beer), you may want to check out the Congo Cookbook website. It covers all of Africa, not just the Congo.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Need Flavoring Suggestions, Please by labradors ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
We loved the Injeera - Cis and I did a Moroccan dinner a number of years ago and both of us loved everything we did.
www.achefsjourney.com