Gluten Free Bread
  Re: (...)

Trying out gluten free bread to be able to use for a bruschetta at a dinner party I’m having in a couple of weeks.

This bread turned out very interesting – I wish I was better with words, the texture was much like any loose battered bread, but the flavor was something different that I can’t really describe. Not off-putting, just different.

The batter as I said was loose and very glossy after beating it for 3+ minutes. at high speed with the K.A.
[Image: Feb27Glutenfreebread1_zps8b3e233d.jpg]

Unbelievable how it rose like a popover during baking and I was really worried looking at them.
[Image: Feb27Glutenfreebread2_zpsfb2f8fed.jpg]

Cutting it open the texture looked good and it did smell great!
[Image: Feb27Glutenfreebread4_zps4cdb1245.jpg]

After slicing and toasting the slices, they didn’t look quite so ‘different’ but the texture is so very tender, that I think I’ll just use the end slices for my bruschetta (toasted on one side) and they should hold up well.
[Image: Feb27Glutenfreebread5_zps0a8fa45b.jpg]

Overall, I was surprised at how much we like the flavor and texture. I also have a recipe for a pizza crust and don’t you know I’m going to try this also.

We’ve not discussed Gluten free much here on the forum, but if anyone wants the recipe, I’d be glad to post it for you.

These little toasts are calling out for some cauliflower soup with maybe a little square of American cheese on top.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Gluten Free Bread by cjs ([br]Trying out glute...)
Interesting! I'd love the recipe. We're thinking about making some dietary changes when we get home - and are trying to have a couple gluten free days a week. Don't want to rush into anything here
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Gluten Free Bread by Harborwitch (Interesting! I'd lo...)
Here you go - I used Bob's Red Mill and this recipe is from their site.

Gluten Free French Bread

If you have been missing French Bread you will love this. My favorite way is toasted with butter. It also make a great grilled cheese sandwich. This recipe was not tested by Bob's Red Mill. Prep Time: 15 minutes -- Cook Time: 75 minutes - Total Time: 90 minutes - Servings: 12

2 cups +2 T GF All Purpose Baking Flour (10.25 oz)
2-1/2 tsp Xanthan Gum
1-1/2 tsp sugar
1 tsp salt
2 tsp quick rising yeast
1 tsp Apple cider vinegar
2 egg whites
1-1/2 cups warm water

1. Whisk all dry ingredient together(#1-5)

2. In a separate large bowl beat together the last 3 ingredients (#6-8)this mixture will froth up quickly.

3. Gradually add dry ingredients to frothed egg white mixture using medium speed. Beat on high for at least three minutes if using a stand mixer. If using a hand mixer beat about five minutes.

4. The batter will appear very glossy. Pour batter into prepared 2 pound loaf pan that has been sprayed with vegetable spray. Smooth the top. Cover lightly with plastic wrap. Allow to rise for 15 to 30 minutes or double in bulk.

5. Mean while preheat oven to 400 degrees. Uncover and bake bread for 1 hour at 400 degrees. Reduce heat to 350 degrees for an additional 15 Minutes.

6. Allow to cool before slicing. It can be torn while still hot but it will not cut. I prefer it sliced and toasted.

7. NOTES

8. Let it cool before you slice. You can divide it into 12 cup cake tins and have delicious dinner rolls: Spray cup cake tin with vegetable spray. Divide batter evenly between 12 cups. cover lightly with plastic wrap and allow to rise until double in bulk. Bake at 400 approximately 20 Minutes.

9. Reviewers:

10. - I have tried a lot of GF bread recipes and this one is a keeper! It's easy, good taste and texture!! I had to cover the bread 25 minutes into baking so it wouldn't burn and I let the flour and yeast get to room temp before I started mixing everything together.

11. - I also used 2 1/4 tsp of yeast (whole pack) and let it rise for about 45 minutes. Try this bread. Its perfect!

12. - Let mine rise for 45 mins and covered in oven after 30.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Gluten Free Bread by cjs (Here you go - I used...)
Thanks Jean. Now if I can just get my oven back! Sheesh.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Gluten Free Bread by Harborwitch (Thanks Jean. Now if...)
Good luck
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Gluten Free Bread by cjs (Good luck...)
It sure looks good!!! I have a friend that is intolerant. I will share! And if I can get the ingredients, I may give it a try. We are not huge bread fans, but it would be a good thing to have for things that DO require bread, like the French Onion Salisbury Steak recipe. That would be a good alternative for William. Thanks, Jean!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Gluten Free Bread by Gourmet_Mom (It sure looks good!!...)
I bought all the stuff to make my own gluten-free flour mix so I could make an impossible almond joy pie.
  Re: Re: Gluten Free Bread by Cubangirl (I bought all the stu...)
Oh-oh, I'd better stay away from that pie!!
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Gluten Free Bread by cjs (Oh-oh, I'd better st...)
That is the best looking gluten-free bread I have ever seen. Most of the non-bakery (home) loaves I have seen are a complete flop... Yours looks divine. My dad had been trying to make a successful loaf for months. I will pass this recipe on to him.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: Gluten Free Bread by luvnit (That is the best loo...)
It's really good toasted with peanut butter for breakfast, too,Laura. Just had some.
www.achefsjourney.com