Mardi Gras Dinner,3/4/14????
  Re: (...)
Fun day here and what's on the menu for everyone??

We're starting with Hurricanes, then on to CIA's recipe for Chicken, Shrimp & Andouille Gumbo. Will finish with Pralines.

Beads are all dusted and ready to go!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Mardi Gras Dinner,3/4/14???? by cjs ( [img]/ubbthreads/im...)
Sounds like a fun day with Jean and Roy!

Hubby is cooking a 'center cut' pork loin. We both had thought it was a tenderloin, but alas, we were tricked!

No other special plans. No beads. No Hurricanes.

Hubby might actually go to work tomorrow... It's been over 2 months since he has been gainfully employed
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: Mardi Gras Dinner,3/4/14???? by luvnit (Sounds like a fun da...)
Since we had our Mardi Gras on Sunday, we won't be doing a repeat tonight. I'm going to roast some veggies and toss them with pasta.

Jean, your dinner sounds great. Have fun.

Laura, we will be keeping fingers crossed for your hubbie! Hope it all works out well.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Mardi Gras Dinner,3/4/14???? by Mare749 (Since we had our Mar...)
Does Mardi Gras switch around? I always though it was in February?

Nothing New Orleans'ish here. I'm going to make the southwestern cobb salad/quesadilla dish.
  Re: Re: Mardi Gras Dinner,3/4/14???? by Trixxee (Does Mardi Gras swit...)
Mardi Gras (along with Carnival, Fasnacht Day, et al) is the Tuesday before Ash Wednesday ("Shrove Tuesday"). As such, it falls 47 days before Easter (the days of Lent plus Holy Week).

Since it is based upon Easter, which is different each year, Mardi Gras is also different each year.

"Mardi Gras SEASON" begins on "Kings' Day" (Epiphany), which is January 6 and ends on the actual Tuesday of Mardi Gras, so the general "season" begins with a fixed date, but the final date (and, therefore, the length of the "season") varies according to when Easter is.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Mardi Gras Dinner,3/4/14???? by labradors ([i]Mardi Gras[/i] (a...)
Yup, what he said.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Mardi Gras Dinner,3/4/14???? by cjs (Yup, what he said....)
Thanks Labs! I honestly did not know that Mardi Gras is tied into Easter. New Orleans and such has never been much on my radar.

But at least now I know when Easter is this year! LOL. Apparently spring break is not tied into it at all with it being so late this year.
  Re: Re: Mardi Gras Dinner,3/4/14???? by Trixxee (Thanks Labs! I hone...)
I have a faculty meeting followed by an appointment tonight, so I'll just grab something while I'm out. NO Mardi Gras cooking for me!
  Re: Re: Mardi Gras Dinner,3/4/14???? by karyn (I have a faculty mee...)
No party here either

But we have. Our shove Tuesday. Pancakes. We alway put corn in then. To make them.

Different. Yum.

Party on jean and Roy.
Everything will be all right in the end. So if it is not right, then it's not yet the end.
  Re: Re: Mardi Gras Dinner,3/4/14???? by Mare749 (Since we had our Mar...)
Quote:

Laura, we will be keeping fingers crossed for your hubbie! Hope it all works out well.

Thanks Maryann! I was going to try to have him 'cook it and plate it' for a photo opp to post. We will see how he responds to that. He's actually very good in the kitchen. He doesn't give himself enough credit sometimes.

Roasted veggies and pasta... yum!!!

Sounds like was all have fab dinners planned.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura