St. Paddy's Day
  Re: (...)
It's coming! It's one of 3 foodie holidays I really have fun! The other two are Cinco de mayo & New Years. I hope everything is quiet around here so I can have a fun dinner.

I don't think I want to do the whole corned beef, cabbage, yadda, yadda thing - I want a big ole Rueben with lots of goopy cheese. I always stay away when Roy orders them.

What's everyone else thinking?
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: St. Paddy's Day by cjs (It's coming! It's on...)
Maybe we'll smoke a corned beef and make Ruebens. That sounds really good. I'm not real confident that I'll have an oven - and the humidity of doing the whole corned beef thing is not an option. Even with a dehumidifier - not having the hood vent and having a hole in the wall it was awful. I opened a box of pasta to find it molded! Frack! I am ready for high desert.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: St. Paddy's Day by Harborwitch (Maybe we'll smoke a ...)
Sharon - what about putting a corned beef in a crock pot and putting it outside? Less smell, less humidity.

I put a corned beef on today's Costco list. Will make it next Sunday, the usual way, the usual stuff. But I will be looking forward to the next day's HASH!
  Re: Re: St. Paddy's Day by Trixxee (Sharon - what about ...)
Hash - YES!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: St. Paddy's Day by cjs (Hash - YES!! [img]/u...)
Smoked brisket may be our choice, too. It depends on the weather Saturday...right now it looks hopeful.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: St. Paddy's Day by Gourmet_Mom (Smoked brisket may b...)
Issue #104 has a recipe for corned beef waffles, I may have to consider this.
ETA: There's also recipes for Reuben pizza w/ pickles; corned beef colcannon soup; corned beef hash w/Brussels sprouts & mushrooms.
  Re: Re: St. Paddy's Day by Trixxee (Sharon - what about ...)
I thought about that - it will depend on the weather. The smoker might be our first choice though - yummy pastrami! A slaw with shaved brussles sprouts. I'm sure hoping the oven will be replaced by then . . . .
  Re: Re: St. Paddy's Day by Harborwitch (I thought about that...)
Traditional. Jamison Irish Whisky as a cocktail. Cornbeef & Cabbage, boiled potatoes and carrots. I will have a stout and Jane will probably have a red wine, TBD. (Hard pairing). Any suggestions ?
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: St. Paddy's Day by Old Bay (Traditional. Jamiso...)
I think we'll do corned beef with some sides that I'm still considering. Leftovers will be used for Reubens on a tutoring night.
  Re: Re: St. Paddy's Day by karyn (I think we'll do cor...)
We will be smoking our pastrami this week. We'll see what goes with.