Tuesday's Dinner, 3/18/14??
  Re: (...)
What's on the menu for everyone today??

We'll pick Allison up at the ferry this afternoon, so will probably stop on the way back somewhere.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Tuesday's Dinner, 3/18/14?? by cjs (What's on the menu f...)
I'm going to make the grilled cubano chicken with mustard sauce (I am slowly coming around to mustard), but not making it as an open faced sandwich - just the chicken, ham & cheese. On the side I'll make this long time healthy favorite.

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/v...oes-109459
  Re: Re: Tuesday's Dinner, 3/18/14?? by Trixxee (I'm going to make th...)
Isn't it funny how our tastes evolve over the years? There are so many things like mustard that I didn't like before that I use all the time now and love it.

We have leftover corned beef, so tonight will be corned beef hash with a fried egg on top. My friend Carol and I walked an extra mile this morning as damage control.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Tuesday's Dinner, 3/18/14?? by Trixxee (I'm going to make th...)
We're using the leftover corned beef to make Reuben sandwiches tonight. By the way, the corned beef was the best I've ever made! I've never done it sous vide before, and I don't think I'll do it any other way from now on. It was tender and delicious and sliced beautifully.
  Re: Re: Tuesday's Dinner, 3/18/14?? by karyn (We're using the left...)
Karyn, can you tell us how to cook it that way? Do you need special equipment to do it?
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Tuesday's Dinner, 3/18/14?? by Mare749 (Karyn, can you tell ...)
Tonight it's steak Rumaki with brandy-vanilla sauce, if I had ham I'd make the Cubano chicken, love that recipe.
  Re: Re: Tuesday's Dinner, 3/18/14?? by Mare749 (Karyn, can you tell ...)
Quote:

Karyn, can you tell us how to cook it that way? Do you need special equipment to do it?

I actually have a SousVideSupreme Demi that I received as a gift a few years ago. I'm embarrassed to say that I really haven't played with it enough to be impressed, but I've only done quick-cook things like chicken and steak. My success with the corned beef has inspired me to give it a try with tougher cuts of meat, so you may be hearing more about sous vide in the near future. I've read that you can use a slow cooker to sous vide if it will hold 180 degrees. Apparently some do and some don't. I'd probably look at one of the sous vide circulators if I was going to buy one today. Here's a link to a review of some of them.
  Re: Re: Tuesday's Dinner, 3/18/14?? by karyn ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Karyn have you used any of the others? I'm concerned about the humidity that they might put into the air. That's a huge issue for us.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Tuesday's Dinner, 3/18/14?? by Harborwitch (Karyn have you used ...)
Sounds cool, Karyn!

After finally getting over my disastrous trip to the store yesterday, I finally posted in the whole fiasco in yesterday's thread. That said...we had Chicken Pot Pie for dinner tonight.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Tuesday's Dinner, 3/18/14?? by Harborwitch (Karyn have you used ...)
Quote:

Karyn have you used any of the others? I'm concerned about the humidity that they might put into the air. That's a huge issue for us.

When you sous vide, the water temperature is well below the boiling point, so the evaporation/humidity shouldn't be a problem at all. Most recipes suggest you maintain a constant water temperature between 140 and 180.