Sansaire circulator now at Sur La Table
  Re: (...)
Some folks expressed interest in sous vide. The Sansaire Circulator is now availabe at Sur La Table online with free shipping. Will be in stores soon. I am loving mine.

I sous vided some pears and some carrots that were almost ready to be discarded. I did 3 pears in 2 bags and the baby carrots in one bag. They were delicious. The pears tasted like really good apple pie filling (I used cinnamon, cardamom and nutmeg, etc. )and the carrots were nicely flavored from the Cumin and the sprig of cumin, etc., cooked but still al dente, not mushy.

We liked the carrots so much, I am doing them again for our anniversary Sunday (20th) I am putting the carrots and green beans (separate bags) in first, then will put in the sirloin steaks so they'll be ready at the same time. The veggies can stay in the water bath when I bring the temp down for the steaks and they will not overcook.
  Re: Sansaire circulator now at Sur La Table by Cubangirl (Some folks expressed...)
Still interesting to me, but I'm holding back for a while.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Sansaire circulator now at Sur La Table by cjs (Still interesting to...)
I'm playing with sous vide again this week. I'm trying this recipe for sous vide and grilled short ribs. I've got the Vidalia onions going right now, and will start the ribs tomorrow. Well be able to sample the results on Thursday...Although there's really no effort involved, waiting 72 hours before I can grill the short ribs sounds ridiculous to me! However, I'm having fun playing.
  Re: Re: Sansaire circulator now at Sur La Table by karyn (I'm playing with sou...)
Jane is doing chicken breasts by this method. We got the method from a Cooks and it is wonderful for doing pre cooked chicken, for salad, King Ranch Chicken,enchiladas , etc. . We are not sure if it is for us with beef, pork or fish.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Sansaire circulator now at Sur La Table by Old Bay (Jane is doing chicke...)
I canto wait to hear how they turn out, Karyn! It sounds amazing!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Sansaire circulator now at Sur La Table by Gourmet_Mom (I canto wait to hear...)
The wonderful thing about it is that with the Sansaire at least, you can put your container anywhere and let it cook away for the time needed. Then if not being used immediately after the required cook time, you can shock and put it in the fridge or even freeze it and finish when needed. If the sous vide finishes at 4 but you won't eat till 6, it can stay in temp lower than you the cook time for the two hours without overcooking.
We've been doing short cooks, mainly steaks but will be doing pork tenderloin and ribs soon.

I've always like to cook ahead to this is perfect for me. Start whenever, put it away and finish it when I'm ready. If you are organized, you can do several veggies together one day, beef another, etc.

We had steak and carrots tonight for our anniversary. Had green beans too, but did not get those trimmed soon enough for them to cook properly. No matter, they'll keep and we have a chocolate terrine I need to go unmold for dessert.

The other toy we got with it was a smoking gun. You can add smoke right into the bag.
  Re: Re: Sansaire circulator now at Sur La Table by Cubangirl (The wonderful thing ...)
Quote:

The other toy we got with it was a smoking gun. You can add smoke right into the bag.

This sounds like a really interesting toy! I'm curious...how does the smoke stay in the bag when you vacuum seal it?