frying pizza dough
  Re: (...)
We were watching an old episode of Diners, D & D late last night and Guy was visiting pizza shops. There were some good tips on dough, letting it age, etc.

In the last segment, the chef took a ball of dough, pressed it out quickly, docked it with his fingers, then gently slid it into hot oil to cook for 35 seconds. Then, he took it out and and quickly topped it with a bit of sauce, some crumbled cheese, etc. and put it in the pizza oven for a few minutes.

So, now I'm wondering if that dough absorbed any more oil than if it had been brushed with oil like we do when putting it on the grill. Thoughts?
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: frying pizza dough by Mare749 (We were watching an ...)
I saw that one . . . looked interesting. When I get an oven back I'll try it.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: frying pizza dough by Harborwitch (I saw that one . . ....)
No product absorbs much of the oil if the temperature is correct. I'd love to try this and I have seen it somewhere....
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: frying pizza dough by cjs (No product absorbs m...)
I missed that one. Sounds interesting!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: frying pizza dough by Gourmet_Mom (I missed that one. ...)
Kenji Alt at Serious Eats has a recipe for fried pizza. You can fine it here. It sounds delicious, but avoiding deep-frying is about the only healthy resolution I actually stick to in my kitchen...
  Re: Re: frying pizza dough by karyn (Kenji Alt at Serious...)
I know what you mean, Karyn. I moved the deep fryer out of the kitchen after William's heart attack. I sure do miss doing wings, though.
Daphne
  Re: Re: frying pizza dough by Gourmet_Mom (I know what you mean...)
Daphne, have you tried grilling or baking with the same sauces and/or seasoning? I never deep fry them
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: frying pizza dough by cjs (Daphne, have you tri...)
Yes, but neither give that crispy texture to the skin that I like. But grilling has produced the best results....just not the same.
Daphne
  Re: Re: frying pizza dough by Gourmet_Mom (Yes, but neither giv...)
Hmmm... First the Cronut, now the Frizza?
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: frying pizza dough by labradors (Hmmm... First the Cr...)
If you deep fry at the correct temperature, it is as healthy as any other form of cooking with oil. Try it if you don't believe me, measure oil, set it at 375 F, fry something and measure the oil when you are finished. You will see that the amount absorbed into the food is less than if you sauté.

The problem with fried foods, is not the deep fat frying, it is the breading, the fatty skin, etc. So if you fry skinless chicken, it is no worse that putting it in a skillet with oil. A fried doughnut is not worse that a baked doughnut. The problem is the doughnut itself and the filling, the icing etc.