1 tablespoon dry mustard powder
2 tablespoons light olive oil
1 tablespoon smokey paprika
1 can beef broth
1/2 cup red wine
1 (1 ounce) package dry onion soup mix
2 beef bouillon cubes
1 (10.75 ounce) can condensed golden mushroom soup

Get crock pot warm and add the beef stock, mushroom soup and red wine.

Combine the mustard, salt, pepper, paprika, minced garlic, powdered and 1 Tbl of the olive oil and mix till it forms a paste.

In a hot pan add the other Tbl of olive oil (or more as needed) and brown the roast on all sides. Place roast in the warm crock pot and spread the paste all over the top. The liquid should barely reach half way up the side the roast. (If liquid is lower that's fine) Cover and cook on low for 7 hours. Removed roast and tent. (I let mine rest 20 minutes)

Pour the liquid into a pan and bring to a boil. In a small bowl add 1 Tbl cornstarch and 1 Tbl of cold water, mix well and add to the gravy mixture. It will not be super thick but will thicken enough to pour nicely over the sliced beef.
  Re: Crock Pot - Roast by DFen911 (Daphne here you go [...)
Just got my cross rib roast and the soups to make this tomorrow. I can't get your picture out of my mind, Denise. Thank you.
  Re: Re: Crock Pot - Roast by Trixxee (Just got my cross ri...)
my, does sound tasty.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Crock Pot - Roast by cjs (my, does sound tasty...)
Oh my! This does sound great! Saved for the near future!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Crock Pot - Roast by DFen911 (Daphne here you go [...)
Okay, I'll bite. What is a beef cross rib roast?

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Re: Crock Pot - Roast by BarbaraS (Okay, I'll bite. Wh...)
Sounds delicious.
Everything will be all right in the end. So if it is not right, then it's not yet the end.
  Re: Re: Crock Pot - Roast by mjkcooking (Sounds delicious....)
A cross rib roast is a cut of beef that is cut near the arm. It is very close to being a shoulder roast with the main difference being that this roast has a round bone in it and is more tender. It may be used for dishes such as pot roast or beef stew. It is usually too tough to cook with dry heat. A steak cut from this roast is called an arm steak.
Reference: www.foodsubs.com

There you go, Barbara
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Crock Pot - Roast by cjs (A cross rib roast is...)
Well mine was boneless But seriously this one got added as the only crock pot roast we'll do from now on
  Re: Re: Crock Pot - Roast by DFen911 (Well mine was bonele...)
Ill be keeping my eye out for it and will ask my butcher.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Crock Pot - Roast by Gourmet_Mom (Ill be keeping my ey...)
Well apparently I didn't pick up a bone in or boneless cross rib roast at all. I know I had one in my hand. Somehow yesterday I came home with "Choice Beef Round Bottom Round Roast".

I hope I didn't just waste $18 on a piece of crap cut. It's my fault. Dammit. I really need to pay closer attention to what I'm doing. LOL.