Steamed Clams or Mussels
  Re: (...)
I just posted on every site available to me (still trying to get my name out there) my method for steamed clams and mussels.

a Che'f Journey recipe: Steamed Clams or Mussels

We've not talked a lot about clams/mussels here on the forum and I'm wondering about how those of you who like and do make them, what is your method and seasonings.

Hope I get some new and interesting.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Steamed Clams or Mussels by cjs (I just posted on eve...)
I do exactly what you do but have used a dry white wine. No reason I couldn't use beer. I had some curried mussels in Quebec City that were delicious. I meant to play with that but never did. Any ideas? It's been a few years but I think they were Warm and there was milk involved in the sauce. Maybe a hot curry?
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Steamed Clams or Mussels by Old Bay (I do exactly what yo...)
Clam Bakes are a big deal here. We do it way different. I would love to try it your way some time, though. I'd have to do it sometime the kids aren't here. They eat massive amounts! LOL! This is what is required to feed this crowd!

[Image: DSC03985.jpg]
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Steamed Clams or Mussels by Old Bay (I do exactly what yo...)
Oh crap, Bill - now Roy's whining! A couple weeks or months ago he had a green curry seafood bowl that was just outstanding and I have collected 3 or 4 recipes to try - but, like you, have not yet.

Maybe ths will get me motivated.

I really do need to get on it.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Steamed Clams or Mussels by cjs (Oh crap, Bill - now ...)
We use one of these. It's layered with the longest cooking items on bottom. The broth is removed as it cooks and is poured over the top several times during the cooking process. The only thing we have ever used is Old Bay....the spice, not the man! LOL!
Daphne
  Re: Re: Steamed Clams or Mussels by Gourmet_Mom (We use one of [url=...)
Daphne, that's what I have for clam bakes also, but I do the above dish in my wok. It's more of an appeitizer really than dinner, 'cause it can be so rich.

I love clam bakes, but msut say it's a waste for me now without any kids around - darn!!! I just love the broth in the bottom!!

I've always added a good sausage or 3 besides the corn, clams, mussels, crab, shrimp, taters - and I do add some chicken stock to the wine for the broth. You're making me so hungry!!
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Steamed Clams or Mussels by cjs (Daphne, that's what ...)
If I can get William to pick up clams next Friday, I'll be trying your method Saturday! I think I'll serve it with brown rice pasta. We are really liking that kind over the whole wheat. I may even break down and make bread to go with it!
Daphne
  Re: Steamed Clams or Mussels by cjs (I just posted on eve...)
Happ to post this Jean..It's one of Pat's and my favorite meals. Also great for a company dinner.

FLEXING MUSSELS

4 pounds mussels
4 T unsalted butter
1 leek (white part only), washed well, patted dry and thinly sliced
1 cup diced (1/4 inch) fennel bulb
¼ cup finely chopped shallots
2 cups seeded and diced (1/4 inch) tomatoes
½ cup chopped flat leaf parsley
1 T finely minced garlic
Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1 Cup dry white wine
1 lb dry spaghetti ( or less)

If you buy mussels that are not farm-raised and have beards, don’t remove the beards until you’re ready to cook the mussels, or the shellfish will die.

Scrub the mussel shells well with a stiff brush and rinse in several changes of cold water. Just before cooking, pull off the beards and discard; reserve mussels.
Melt the butter in a large, heavy, nonreactive pot over medium heat. Add the leek, fennel and shallots; cook, stirring, until wilted, about 8 minutes.
Add the tomatoes, parsley and garlic; cook for 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
Add the mussels and the wine and raise the heat to high. Cover and cook, shaking the pot occasionally, until all the mussels have opened, 6 to 8 minutes. Discard any that do not open. Serve immediately in shallow bowls with the vegetables and broth.

I serve with some pasta at the bottom of the bowl and 18 hour bread on the side.

From Sheila Lukins Simply Delicious
Shannon
  Re: Re: Steamed Clams or Mussels by Dismc (Happ to post this Je...)
Oh my, this is on the list - how good does this sound. Thanks Shannon!!

Dahne, everytime I scroll down and see your picture, I start salivating..............
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Steamed Clams or Mussels by Dismc (Happ to post this Je...)
I love that too Shannon!
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".