White Clam Pizza - Pizza, Pizza, Pizza!!
  Re: (...)
For those who have the pizza book - here is a revision of the White Clam Pizza recipe. Much easier, prettier and gooder.

White Clam Pizza

[Image: Mar31ClamPizzawLaurascrust_zpsfdf0f73b.jpg]

White Clam Pizza is the first pizza I ever tried without a tomato based sauce and I remember feeling so avant-garde. Oven baking is recommended for this pizza.

Pizza Dough - Brush the dough with olive oil and set aside:
Your choice for this pizza.

Sauce – Follow instructions for preparing the sauce you want and set aside:
No sauce for this pizza.

Pizza Topping – prepare and set aside:
1 T. oil
1/2 medium onion, halved and thinly sliced
1 clove garlic, minced
4 oz. (1 cup) Fontina cheese, grated or cubed, divided
1/2 T. each: parsley and basil, chopped (if using dried herbs use 1 tsp. each)
2 (6.5-oz. each) cans chopped clams or 10-oz. can whole baby clams, drained
Olive oil for drizzling
Freshly ground black pepper

Preheat oven to 475°F.

About 45 min. before serving (or early in the day), cook onion and garlic in oil over low heat until tender but not browned, this will take about 30 minutes. Note: if the onions and garlic begin to brown too much, add 1/4 cup water and continue cooking down)

Combine the cheese and herbs and set aside. Top the lightly oiled pizza dough with 2/3 of the cheese followed by the onion/garlic mixture. Sprinkle the clams over and top with the remaining cheese. Drizzle with olive oil and grind black pepper over all.

Bake in oven for 8 to 10 minutes or until crust is browned and crisp and the toppings are bubbling.

Variation: In place of the Fontina cheese, try a combination of 1 1/2 oz each mozzarella, jack and provolone.

May I just say, Laura's version of pizza dough is just wonderful. I rolled this much thinner and the result was a crispy thin crust, but with a 'poofy' edge to the crust - which I love.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: White Clam Pizza - Pizza, Pizza, Pizza!! by cjs (For those who have t...)
Thanks for the variation, Jean. Duly noted!

Did Laura post her pizza dough recipe on here? Somehow I missed it and would like to try it. I have some vital wheat gluten that I purchased to use in rye bread and haven't used it since.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: White Clam Pizza - Pizza, Pizza, Pizza!! by Mare749 (Thanks for the varia...)
I hope she will share it with everyone, it is so good.

Laura??
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: White Clam Pizza - Pizza, Pizza, Pizza!! by cjs (I hope she will shar...)
I guess i need to get William to get extra clams.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.