Breadmaker Pizza Dough (w/ Vital Wheat Gluten)
  Re: (...)
[Image: 1969123_10202307565223659_1799725562_n.jpg]

I wanted to wait until I had finished my 'experimenting' with this dough before posting to the rest of the group. Now I am done... I think.

I wanted to more closely match some of the commercial dough products I have had in the past. So.... long story short, here is the recipe.

But this dough DOES NOT need to be aged, although you can if you want to. It just depends on what you like.

You can use this dough two ways:
Non-Aged Use either the same day or the day after, the dough rolls out beautifully and makes an average (thickness) of crust, like a traditional style crust. Crust edges are chewy-soft with more of a soft breadstick-like quality.
AgedSad3-5 days in fridge) For the aged crust (seen above) You get a more complex flavor. More of the fermented sourdough flavors come out. Much thinner crust. Dough is rolled out flatter and edge crust is a thin, crispy texture.

The recipe makes four 12" crusts. We usually make two on the day, and freeze the other two in separate baggies. They thaw out on the counter in about an hour when I want a quick pizza dinner or breakfast pizza.

I use my breadmaker on the 'Dough' setting.

3 1/2 cups bread flour
3 T vital wheat gluten
2 t sugar
1 t sea salt (I use a wet Japanese sea salt)
2 t yeast
1 1/3 - 1 1/2 cup of water (usually I measure right in the middle, it's been dry here lately so now I do 1 1/2)
2 T olive oil

Measure out dry ingredients (except yeast) and mix together.
Pour hot tap water and olive oil in the bread machine. Add dry ingredients on top, make a small 'well' and add yeast into the well in center. Set to Dough setting. (or follow your bread machine specifications)

Makes four 12" crusts - Freezes very well
  Re: Breadmaker Pizza Dough (w/ Vital Wheat Gluten) by luvnit ( [img]https://fbcdn-...)
That looks beautiful Laura. I have to order a new paddle for my bread machine. Hopefully we'll get the oven back soon.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Breadmaker Pizza Dough (w/ Vital Wheat Gluten) by luvnit ( [img]https://fbcdn-...)
We love thin-crust pizza. I'm definitely going to give this a try the next time I make pizza. Copied and saved!
  Re: Re: Breadmaker Pizza Dough (w/ Vital Wheat Gluten) by karyn (We love thin-crust p...)
Thank you, Laura! Thin and crispy just the way I like it. I can't wait to try this.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Breadmaker Pizza Dough (w/ Vital Wheat Gluten) by Mare749 (Thank you, Laura! Th...)
I LOVE thin and crispy! But will it work made with a mixer?
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Breadmaker Pizza Dough (w/ Vital Wheat Gluten) by Gourmet_Mom (I LOVE thin and cris...)
Daphne, I googled using wheat gluten in pizza dough and one of the things prominently mentioned is the dough should not be made with a hand-held mixer - it can burn it up. A kitchen aid - yes or a bread machine. They don't even recommend hand making/kneading the dough. darn and I'm really loving doing the dough by hand now.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Breadmaker Pizza Dough (w/ Vital Wheat Gluten) by cjs (Daphne, I googled us...)
I'm talking about a Kitchenaid with a dough hook. Will that work?
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Breadmaker Pizza Dough (w/ Vital Wheat Gluten) by Gourmet_Mom (I'm talking about a ...)
Yes, a Kitchenaid will work. But it does not do the raising and kneading. I use my breadmaker because it does all the raising and kneading for me.

I purchased my breadmaker at goodwill for $9. It was brand new and still in the sealed box. I use it several times a month. Well worth the investment.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: Breadmaker Pizza Dough (w/ Vital Wheat Gluten) by Gourmet_Mom (I'm talking about a ...)
I just ordered 'Bob's Red Mill Vital Wheat Gluten Flour' from Amazon, I hope it's the right stuff. 4-22oz packages $25.16
  Re: Re: Breadmaker Pizza Dough (w/ Vital Wheat Gluten) by losblanos1 (I just ordered 'Bob'...)
Laura, why do you say the K.A. with dough hook will not knead the dough???
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com