Oh Jean - recipe please :)
  Re: (...)
Ok my lovely, you posted a picture of your oven 'fried' chicken and the skin looked amazing!

Might I procure that little ol recipe from you please **bats her eyes and looks ever so adorable**

**is also wondering why I'm typing this with a southern drawl in my head**
  Re: Oh Jean - recipe please :) by DFen911 (Ok my lovely, you po...)
Because you are dingy!!!!

to you from a nice little cookbook, 'a Chef's Journey...Home' The breading is what I use for fish and/or chicken pieces. I didn't want to gointo too much detail with the chicken in the book, so I just suggested using breasts cut in "tenders" - but I don't do that. I just use any and all chicken pieces. Be sure to spray everything well so nothing sticks.

------
I started “oven-frying” trying to help my family eat more healthy – but we found we would eat oven-fried catfish or chicken even if it wasn’t healthy, it’s that good!

Oven-Fried Catfish or Chicken

1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1 egg
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup crushed cornflakes
1 1/2 tsp. paprika
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
2 Catfish fillets cut in half crosswise

Preheat oven to 375°F.
Have three shallow bowls at hand. In one, put the all-purpose flour; in the next, mix the egg with 1 T. water; and in the third, mix together the Parmesan, flour, cornflake crumbs, paprika, salt and pepper.

Coat each piece of catfish with the plain flour, and then dip in egg wash, then in the Parmesan/cornflake mixture.

Place fish on a baking sheet that has been sprayed with cooking spray. Spray the tops of the fish also. If you have time, let the fish sit in the refrigerator for an hour before baking. Bake for 15 minutes, turn each piece over, being careful not to loosen the crust on the bottom; continue baking for 10-15 minutes more. Cook the fish just to an internal temperature of 140°F.
Serves 4

CJ’s tip: For chicken, use 2 breasts, each cut in thirds crosswise. Dip as for catfish and bake for 20 minutes, turn the pieces over being careful to keep the crust intact; continue baking for 15-20 minutes until no longer pink and internal temperature is 160°F.

-------

Let me know how you like it - yea or nay!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Oh Jean - recipe please :) by cjs (Because you are ding...)
Thank you Obi Wan! (See Star Wars)
  Re: Re: Oh Jean - recipe please :) by DFen911 (Thank you Obi Wan! (...)
Denise, I’m sending this version of fried chicken along to you as we liked it even better than the old family method. It’s fried in oil, tho, not baked.

Andrew Schloss’s Fried Chicken

1 cup buttermilk
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tsps. crushed red pepper flakes
1 tsp. rosemary, minced
1 tsp. rubbed dried sage
Salt and pepper
---------
8 pieces chicken parts (skin removed – optional)

Combine all ingred. except the chicken parts in a medium mixing bowl. Add the chicken and toss in the mixture to coat. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour. (I left it 1 1/2 hours)

Heat oil 3/4" deep in frying pan to 375°F (the perfect heat for meat/poultry not to absorb much oil at all). Fry the chicken till golden brown and cooked thru, about 15 minutes.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Oh Jean - recipe please :) by cjs (Denise, I’m sending ...)
Oh going to try this one too. I'll have to take my lactaid pills but I am sure it'll be worth it. Was it Billy who did the cold oil method?
  Re: Re: Oh Jean - recipe please :) by DFen911 (Oh going to try this...)
Would it help to regulate the oil temp if the chicken was left out of the refrigerator for a short time before frying? Or is that too risky?
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Oh Jean - recipe please :) by Mare749 (Would it help to reg...)
No, not Billy - cold oil chicken is in my repertoire - one that you have not been brave enough to try.....yet!

I think removing the chicken 15-20 minutes before cooking would not be dangerous. But, personally, I think the oil temp. is the important part of the equation. And, not over-crowding the skillet to cause the heat to go too low too quickly.
www.achefsjourney.com