Summer Salads - Share Favorite Recipes Part II
  Re: (...)
Her we go with Part II of our favorite summer salads - Here are two from Laura to start us off!

-------------
This one I want to share with everyone. It's a famous recipe from a high end department store in their Oval Room for classy lady's lunching. It's been around for a looooong time. Oldie, but a goodie!

Dayton's Oriental Chicken Pasta Salad
Salad:
3/4 lb Fusili pasta
3/4 lb chicken breast, cooked, torn into bite size pieces
1/2 ob Pea pods, sliced diagonally
1 bunch scallions, sliced
1/2 lb mushrooms, sliced
Dressing:
1 egg yolk, raw
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup white vinegar
1/4 tsp white pepper
1 1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 Tbsp oriental sesame oil, brown
Garnishes:
1/4 cup mandarin orange, drained
1 cup wontons (wonton skins cut in 1/4 inch strips, quickly fried in hot oil)
1 scallion sliced
1 Tbsp sesame seeds, toasted (saute in hot pan without any oil until browned)

DIRECTIONS
Boil pasta 10-12 min until firm but tender. Rinse, toss with 1 Tbsp vegetable oil. Add remaining “salad” ingredients and chill.
To make dressing: Place first 5 ingredients in blender or food processor and mix thoroughly. With motor running slowly add the oils. Dressing should be thick (like mayo). Chill dressing.
Have Garnishes ready.
To serve: Toss salad with dressing, top with garnishes.
Source: Daytons

This salad was such of favorite of ours for years. We called it Spaghetti Salad, but I guess we were wrong. I looked at the recipe again after all the years...

Vermicelli Salad

12 oz. pkg. vermicelli (thin spaghetti), cooked and drained
1 tbsp. Accent
2 tbsp. seasoning salt
3 tbsp. lemon juice
4 tbsp. Wesson oil
1 c. celery, diced
1/2 c. green onions, diced
1/2 c. green peppers
1/2 c. sliced salad olives (not sure green or black, I use black)
1 c. mayonnaise (I use Hellman's)

Marinate the first 5 ingredients overnight, mixing well; then add other ingredients and mix well. Next, EAT YOUR HEART OUT!!!

--------------------
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura

-----------------
I've got some to add also, later.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Summer Salads - Share Favorite Recipes Part II by cjs (Her we go with Part ...)
My MIL LOVES this salad!!! Thanks for the reminder.
  Re: Re: Summer Salads - Share Favorite Recipes Part II by karyn (My MIL LOVES this sa...)
One of our favorites - from Food & Wine - first made this in 2010

Santa Fe Quinoa Salad

[Image: QuinoaSaladapr20_zpsa5ba8201.jpg]

At L.A. Bento in Los Angeles, chef Chad Aaland makes quinoa salad with three types of beans and house-pickled onions. This streamlined version with black beans and jarred cocktail onions is tasty, too.

3/4 cup quinoa (about 5 ounces)
1 1/2 cups water
Kosher salt
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
6 tablespoons vegetable oil
Freshly ground pepper
One 15-ounce can black beans, rinsed
1 small red bell pepper, finely diced
1/2 cup finely chopped cilantro
One 3-ounce jar cocktail onions, drained and finely chopped

In a medium saucepan, combine the quinoa, water and a pinch of salt; bring to a boil. Cover and simmer over low heat until the water is absorbed, about 15 minutes.

Spread the quinoa on a baking sheet; refrigerate for about 20 minutes.

Meanwhile, in a small skillet, toast the cumin seeds over high heat, shaking the pan, until fragrant, about 2 minutes; transfer to a blender. Add the lime juice and oil and blend. Season with salt and pepper.

Pour the dressing into a bowl and add the black beans, bell pepper, cilantro and cocktail onions. Scrape the quinoa into the bowl, season with salt and pepper and serve.

Suggested Pairing - Juicy, plummy Malbec from Argentina.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Summer Salads - Share Favorite Recipes Part II by cjs (One of our favorites...)
HI,

We love this salad in the summer, winter, spring and fall.

Jar of hearts of palm
Tomatoes
Onion

chop all, add sunflower oil, salt and pepper, mix.
  Re: Re: Summer Salads - Share Favorite Recipes Part II by piano226 (HI,[br][br]We love t...)
Sounds simple and tasty!
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Summer Salads - Share Favorite Recipes Part II by piano226 (HI,[br][br]We love t...)
Ooooo, yes, that does sound tasty!

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Re: Summer Salads - Share Favorite Recipes Part II by BarbaraS (Ooooo, yes, that doe...)
This is a new summer favorite! It looks like a lot of work, but everything can be prepped ahead of time so it's actually pretty easy. I also don't think it's necessary to marinate and grill the chicken. The salad has so much flavor that any leftover chicken would be just as delicious.

Chopped Thai Crunch Salad with Sweet and Spicy Dressing

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
Chicken:
2 Tbs oil
2 Tbs low-sodium soy sauce
1/4 cup rice vinegar
1 Tbs lime juice (from about 1 lime)
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1 1/2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs
Vinaigrette:
4 Tbs rice vinegar
4 Tbs sweet Thai chili sauce
1 tsp sesame oil
Salt and pepper (pinch of each)
Peanut Dressing:
1/4 cup creamy peanut butter
2 Tbs low-sodium soy sauce
1 Tbs rice vinegar
1 Tbs Thai sweet chili sauce
1 tsp sesame oil
2 Tbs very hot water, plus more as needed
Salad:
4 cups chopped romaine lettuce
2 cups chopped napa cabbage
1 cup chopped red cabbage
1 cup diced cucumber, peeled or not
1 cup edamame
1 cup small diced carrots
1 cup chopped red bell pepper
4 green onions, white and green parts finely chopped
1 cup chopped cilantro
Peanuts for topping (optional)

1. For the chicken, whisk together the oil, soy sauce, rice vinegar, lime juice, salt and pepper. Place the chicken in a ziploc bag or shallow dish and cover with the marinade. Refrigerate for 20 minutes or up to 24 hours (the longer it marinates, the better the flavor). Remove the chicken from the marinade and grill 6-7 minutes per side. Remove to a plate and let cool. Chop into bite-sized pieces.

2. For the vinaigrette, combine all the ingredients in a liquid measure or small mason jar and whisk (or shake) until well combined. Refrigerate until ready to use. The dressing can be made up to a week in advance.

3. For the peanut dressing, whisk together (or again, shake in a mason jar), all the ingredients until well combined. Add additional hot water, one tablespoon at a time, until the dressing is smooth and thin enough to drizzle.

4. In a large bowl, toss together all of the salad ingredients with the cooled and chopped chicken. Pour the vinaigrette over the top and toss until the ingredients are coated with the dressing.

5. Serve the salad with the peanut dressing on the side to drizzle on top.
  Re: Re: Summer Salads - Share Favorite Recipes Part II by karyn (This is a new summer...)
Oh my, this is copied!! Thanks.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Summer Salads - Share Favorite Recipes Part II by cjs (Oh my, this is copie...)
That sounds so right up my alley, Karyn!
  Re: Re: Summer Salads - Share Favorite Recipes Part II by Trixxee (That sounds so right...)
Quote:

That sounds so right up my alley, Karyn!

For some strange reason, I'm not surprised, Trixxee! LOL!!