Cinco de Mayo's Coming!
  Re: (...)
Less than a week away! Any new Mexican dishes in the offing??

I'm thinking of Margarita's and fish tacos and if we're good the rest of the week, maybe flan.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Cinco de Mayo's Coming! by cjs (Less than a week awa...)
Yes, but I haven't found what I'm looking for. I'm thinking that maybe Rick Bayless would have something similar to a wonderful shrimp dish that I had recently at Nuevo Acapulco.

I have a renewed interest in "healthy" Mexican food, so probably should go shopping for a new cookbook. Yes, that's a mighty fine idea!
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Cinco de Mayo's Coming! by Mare749 (Yes, but I haven't f...)
sounds good to me, too, Maryann!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Cinco de Mayo's Coming! by cjs (sounds good to me, t...)
Well, I've decided to combine two things.

Today, in the supermarket, I noticed oxtail - something with which I have been wanting to work for a while. I didn't buy any today, but decided to come back home, look for recipes and ideas and then go back and buy them tomorrow if I found a good recipe to try.

Then, when I came here, I noticed you were looking for Mexican recipes for Cinco de Mayo and I looked around to see if I could find anything authentically Mexican that happened to use oxtail.

HERE is what I've decided to make. It is called Gallina Pinta (even though there's no hen - or chicken, for that matter - in it). Instead, it is a stew made with oxtail, flank steak, pinto beans and hominy. It's simple and basic (so much so that it is also called Pozole de Pobre or "Poor-Man's Pozole"), but sounds delicious.

Thus (presuming the store still has oxtail when I go back for it tomorrow), I'm going to combine my oxtail experimentation with Cinco de Mayo.

BTW, the recipe that I translated and posted at the above link was from a 300-page PDF cookbook issued by the State of Sonora, Mexico, so I now have another source of a ton of Mexican recipes. HERE is the link to the PDF file, in case anyone is interested (and doesn't mind the fact that everything is in Spanish). If anyone finds something to give a try, I'd be willing to translate some recipes into English (as long as I don't get completely swamped by requests).
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Cinco de Mayo's Coming! by labradors (Well, I've decided t...)
Now that's interesting. I think I have a pkg. oxtails in the bowels of the freezer.......
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Cinco de Mayo's Coming! by cjs (Now that's interesti...)
Isn't that when all that Hellmans mayonnaise went down on the Titanic?
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Cinco de Mayo's Coming! by Old Bay (Isn't that when all ...)
Now that's funny!
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Cinco de Mayo's Coming! by Old Bay (Isn't that when all ...)
Quote:

Isn't that when all that Hellmans mayonnaise went down on the Titanic?

Except for one long-forgotten passenger who managed to generate enough foam in the ocean to keep him afloat until he was rescued, thus crediting him with having made the first Miracle Whip. <groan>
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Cinco de Mayo's Coming! by labradors ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Very good Labs!
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Cinco de Mayo's Coming! by Old Bay (Very good Labs! [img...)
oh groan.......
www.achefsjourney.com