What is growing in my garden???
  Re: (...)
It sort of looks like chives with a curl on top and a round bulb in the ground and smells sort of oniony/garlicky.

Any ideas? Is it edible? I can't find anything like it on the internet.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: What is growing in my garden??? by Mare749 (It sort of looks lik...)
Take a picture
  Re: Re: What is growing in my garden??? by DFen911 (Take a picture [img]...)
it could be garlic or onion scapes/ramps (big disparity in the names) - every spring our garlice sends out the ramps and when you cut them early they are wonderful added to salads or saute and add to any dishes you would add garlic/onions

are they beginning to look like this??

[Image: GarlicRampsJuly2012_zps6295df1a.jpg]

they also make a great pesto - garlicky spring like. We love them

[Image: GarlicRampPestoJuly_zps8919953e.jpg]
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: What is growing in my garden??? by cjs (it could be garlic o...)
Ramps, that's what I would guess too. But a pic would help solve the mystery!
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: What is growing in my garden??? by luvnit (Ramps, that's what I...)
I would guess the same, but I agree that a picture would help. Don't onions have ramps but smaller? I'm watching my garlic closely for ramps, now!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: What is growing in my garden??? by Gourmet_Mom (I would guess the sa...)
Yes, that's one of the options I mentioned above Daphne.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: What is growing in my garden??? by cjs (Yes, that's one of t...)
That's what I get for skimming! LOL! Last week was so nice! I got to really spend time and pay attention.

Soon! Very very soon!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: What is growing in my garden??? by Gourmet_Mom (That's what I get fo...)
I'll try to get a picture tomorrow if it ever stops raining.

Jean, no, they don't look like that yet. Just found out from Ron that they come up every Spring. He said they smell so good when he runs the mower over them. I told him not to do that until I find out if they are edible.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: What is growing in my garden??? by Mare749 (I'll try to get a pi...)
They could be garlic (Chinese) chives. They are thicker than regular chives. I love them. Mine well into the winter and then come back in the spring. They get nice little flowers as they grow (purple I think).

BTW, I had some old garlic cloves that were starting to get the green thingee, so I stuck them in the old lemongrass pot (we didn't take care of the lemongrass as we should have so it died ) Anyway, I know have new garlic shoots coming up. Steve replanted them and they are still going strong.
  Re: Re: What is growing in my garden??? by Cubangirl (They could be garlic...)
Sounds a bit like the "fake onions" that we have. They smell great, but are not edible, very invasive, and almost impossible to get rid of.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.