Tuesday's Dinner, 5/13/14??
  Re: (...)
What's on the menu for today for everyone??

I think Chicken will be the first grill for this week.

And, now it starts - the realtor company is traipsing thru this a.m. and Thursday, it's the Broker's day. Do not like this part of selling.......

It's just amazing how the real estate and selling of homes has changed with the advent of HGTV!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Tuesday's Dinner, 5/13/14?? by cjs (What's on the menu f...)
Jean, did you get the St. Joseph statue yet?

We some some really bad weather last night, but this morning it's just gorgeous out. If it holds out, I'm planning to do my b-day dinner tonight. We'll see...
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Tuesday's Dinner, 5/13/14?? by Mare749 (Jean, did you get th...)
NO, darn it -
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Tuesday's Dinner, 5/13/14?? by cjs (NO, darn it -...)
Tonight it's strawberry cheesecake pancakes with link sausage.
  Re: Re: Tuesday's Dinner, 5/13/14?? by losblanos1 (Tonight it's strawbe...)
Curried chicken salad sandwiches.
  Re: Re: Tuesday's Dinner, 5/13/14?? by Trixxee (Curried chicken sala...)
We're having Mac & Cheese with Chicken, Goat Cheese, & Rosemary. I've never made it before, but I can't see how it can be anything but good!
  Re: Re: Tuesday's Dinner, 5/13/14?? by karyn (We're having [url=ht...)
Thanks Maryann - I ordered St. Joseph online.....Roy was proscrastinating......

I made a cake this a.m. - had buttermilk and a couple bottles of rootbeer that I need to use. I'll keep one of the rootbeers for BBQ sauce. And this is a real winner!!

* Exported from MasterCook *

Root Beer Spice Cake Recipe

3/4 cup shortening
1 3/4 cups brown sugar
2 large eggs
1 /2 tablespoon vanilla extract
2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 tablespoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 can root beer -- (12 ounce) not sugar-free

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease and dust with flour a 13 x 9-inch baking pan.

1. Cream the shortening and sugar together. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each. Beat for five or six minutes so that the mixture is light and fluffy. Add the vanilla.

2. In another bowl, mix the flour, spices, salt, and soda together.

3. In three or four additions, add the dry ingredients and the liquids to the creamed mixture alternately starting and ending with the dry ingredients. (Each time that we made this, we added the buttermilk first then one half of the soda and finally, the rest of the soda.) Mix only until smooth.

4. Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until the cake tests done with a toothpick. Cool completely before frosting with the frosting of your choice. (Try Root Beer Butter Frosting)

Baker's Note: When making a cake such as this, you are mixing oil (shortening) and water (soda pop and buttermilk)-which don't mix. The egg yolks act as an emulsifier, a bonding agent between the oil and water molecules and the flour absorbs much of the water. That is why you start with the flour addition-so that the water doesn't overload the fat mixture before the flour is there to start absorbing water. It's also why you add the liquids in stages between the flour additions.

Description:
"This interesting cake has just a touch of root beer flavor but it comes out light and moist. Be sure"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

It's not as spicy as spice cake that I dearly love, but it is really tasty!! I'm being good, so not frosting.

P.S. I don't know where this cute little bottle of BBQ sauce came from - if from a Secret Santa, it got separated from other goodies, so I don't know where it came from. But, darn, it's really tasty!

Southern Barbeque Sauce, HOuse of Webster, Rogers, Arkansas

Sound familiar to anyone??
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Tuesday's Dinner, 5/13/14?? by cjs (Thanks Maryann - I o...)
Doesn't sound familiar to me at all, Jean.

I was craving BBQ ribs, but considering William's newly announced dislike of ribs, I compromised. So we're having BBQ chicken instead....corn on the cob for a side with a small salad.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.