Grilled Sausage & Pepper Panzanella Review
  Re: (...)
This is a great weeknight or any time menu. We used a sweet Italian sausage but agreed that next time we might want to add some med-hot sausage, but that's just us. I got the veggies, sausage and bread ready for the grill and made the dressing while Ron got the grill ready. Then, I got to sit back while he worked his magic.

Ron especially liked the way the onions turned out. He got those nice skewers like Blane has and loves using them. The timing for each item was perfect. This was the first time we "charred" a pepper like that and the method works well. We followed each step exactly and everything was done just right. We let everything cool down for a few minutes before assembling the salad.

One word of caution. With the grilled baguettes, a little garlic goes a long way. We loved this dish and will probably have it again several times over the summer. We didn't make the cocktail but did make the Strawberry and Pineapple Trifles and thought those were delish. Will make those again, too!

Sorry, no pics. I completely forgot, but Trixxee graciously agreed to take some for me.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Grilled Sausage & Pepper Panzanella Review by Mare749 (This is a great week...)
Maryann's winning streak continues, another homerun B'day dinner.

I've never had panzanella before, so I didn't know what to expect, it was delicious!

We agree about the sausage, we'll use a hotter one next time and I couldn't find fontina cheese, so I subbed emmentaler. It was a lot of prep work, but well worth it. I took this to a pot luck and everyone who tried it loved it. We gave this recipe a 9 as is, a 10 with hotter sausage. Thanks for choosing this Maryann, I don't think that I would have made it otherwise.

[Image: 2_zps397aa2ca.jpg]
  Re: Re: Grilled Sausage & Pepper Panzanella Review by losblanos1 (Maryann's winning st...)
Oh shoot- didn't realize there was a separate review thread so I will copy and paste.

We made this last night and we LOVED it. The dressing was great - so glad I finally found anchovy paste because it definitely added flavor. The only change I made was to use manchego cheese instead of fontina because I could not find fontina at two different stores and I just could not face going to Trader Joes (where I know they carry it) on a holiday weekend. But I have a feeling the manchego was a perfect component to this salad.

Also made the dessert but I changed that too a little - used whipped cream instead of yogurt, used only strawberries (no ripe pineapple to be found and didn't want to use canned) and I bought the fresh mint and then promptly forgot to add it. I'll just say now that angel food cake, strawberries and amaretto are a natural together.

I'd make all of it again in a heartbeat. Thanks for picking some really nice recipes, Maryann!
  Re: Re: Grilled Sausage & Pepper Panzanella Review by Trixxee (Oh shoot- didn't rea...)
We did use a spicy sausage - very good. Blane, your picture looks great - I bet the cheese you used was similar to what I used - sort of gruyere taste and consistency?
  Re: Re: Grilled Sausage & Pepper Panzanella Review by Trixxee (We did use a spicy s...)
Trixxee's review just reminded me that I did not use regular yogurt in my dessert either. I used a small amount of frozen yogurt instead, and maybe just a touch more amaretto.
Funny that you can't get pineapples there, Trixxee, when you are closer to Mexico and even Hawaii than we are. I have been buying huge ones for around $2.50 here which is a really good price. Even small pineapples can run $3.99 at times. But, believe it or not, we actually had trouble finding a decent orange in Florida one time because they export them all out.

Blane, thanks for posting your fabulous photo. I'm so glad that you liked the salad.
Maryann

Re: Re: Grilled Sausage & Pepper Panzanella Review by Trixxee (We did use a spicy s...)
Also, we used a grill basket for the veggies - I was having hard time skewering the onions so Tony just chopped everything up.
  Re: Re: Grilled Sausage & Pepper Panzanella Review by Trixxee (Also, we used a gril...)
Maryann, I really apologize that I didn't get to making this dinner. I had good intentions, but they got away from me. Sounds really good, tho!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Grilled Sausage & Pepper Panzanella Review by cjs (Maryann, I really ap...)
MA - I can get pineapple easily but it's like an avocado - when you need a ripe one, today, they are all hard as rocks at the store. I should have planned ahead a little better and bought one a few days in advance.

That said, we are making the dessert again tonight (still minus the pineapple). Tony just came home with an industrial size bottle of amaretto. LOL.
  Re: Re: Grilled Sausage & Pepper Panzanella Review by Trixxee (MA - I can get pinea...)
There are sooo many good uses for it, Trixxee!

Jean, it's okay, I know you don't get excited about panzanella, so didn't think you would make it anyway.

We added grilled corn to the menu and some hot dogs. The kids are coming home early from camping so they can come over.
Maryann

Re: Re: Grilled Sausage & Pepper Panzanella Review by Mare749 (There are sooo many ...)
I'm going to try this sometime!! Yeah, a little hot sausage would spice up the Fontina.

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.