Fried Curry Ramen Noodles
  Re: (...)
Not really a recipe, more of a process. I had watched a video where a woman had loosely described making fried ramen noodles. She used ALL the seasoning packets, and I thought that would be WAY too salty. I was right, I used half if the packets and it was just perfect. I could have maybe added on more. This is a great way to use up leftovers AND is a great alternative to fried rice!

Serves 5

6 pkgs ramen
3 flavor packets (maybe 4, optional)
1 T. Curry powder (optional but delish)
1 t. cumin (optional, but goes with curry)
3-4 T. oil
2 eggs

Break ramen bricks in half and boil in water (without seasoning packets). Cook just slightly less than package says. Drain noodles and rinse in ice cold water. Set aside to cool and drain. (Remember: Water and hot oil do not mix) Mix together seasoning packages, cumin and curry.

While noodles are draining chop up leftover veggies: green onions, frozen peas, pieces of meat, eggs, spinach, bean sprouts, etc. Whatever you want really.

I had eggs and steak in curry a light sauce.

Heat up wok and add oil, toss in drained ramen and stir fry. It takes a few minutes to get the right affect. When noodles begin to slightly crisp up, you will see it, sprinkle with seasonings and keep stirring. Make a well in the bottom of the wok, make sure there is enough oil, crack eggs in bottom and scramble. When eggs are cooked toss with rest of mixture, add optional meats and veggies and serve!
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Fried Curry Ramen Noodles by luvnit (Not really a recipe,...)
I like the method and the results do sound good. Thanks Laura.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Fried Curry Ramen Noodles by cjs (I like the method an...)
Thank you, Laura.

Here is another one for anyone who might be interested.

Mock Fried Rice

1 package ramen noodles, any flavor, but discard seasoning packet
1 tsp. vegetable oil
1½ cups small broccoli florets
½ cup chopped red bell pepper
1 green onion, chopped
2 T. soy sauce
1 egg, beaten
½ cup shredded carrot

1. Prepare noodles according to package directions, discarding seasoning packet. Drain, cool and refrigerate until chilled. Once chilled, cut noodles into small pieces.

2. Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add broccoli, bell pepper and green onion; stir-fry 3 minutes or until crisp-tender.

3. Add noodles and soy sauce to skillet. Slide mixture to one side of skillet; add egg to the other side. Cook egg until done. Combine with ramen mixture. Add carrot; heat through.

4. Variation: Add ½ cup cooked chicken or shrimp for main dish.

Servings: 4
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Fried Curry Ramen Noodles by Mare749 (Thank you, Laura.[br...)
Perfect for us - thanks Maryann also. I need ideas for ramen noodles for on the road easy eating.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Fried Curry Ramen Noodles by cjs (Perfect for us - tha...)
Great ideas Maryann & Laura! I'm saving these for "one of those nights" Thank you for sharing them. I love the idea of the curry!
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Fried Curry Ramen Noodles by Harborwitch (Great ideas Maryann ...)
Thanks Maryann, that looks like a good one too.

Sharon, I used to make a 'Hamburger Helper' Ramen noodle recipe that the kids loved.

"Mommy" Helper Recipe
4 packages beef flavored Ramen Noodles
1 can corn (or an even better option--1 cup leftover veges)
4 cups water
1 pound browned beef
1/2 cup chopped onion

In saucepan, brown the ground beef and onion until done and drain. Add sauce packet from the Ramen Noodles (I usually only use 2 to reduce the salt content) and the water. Break up the noodles and add to above with the drained veges. Cook about 5 mins until the noodles are done and most of the water is absorbed.

This is a very quick meal that feeds 4 (one of which is a growing 16 year old boy!) That maximum cost I would pay for this meal is: ground beef $1.50, noodles.20 each, canned veges .50 for a total cost of $2.80. My usual cost is usually: ground beef 1.00, noodles .15 each, and leftover or homegrown veges for a total cost of $1.60.

This meal can easily be changed by using Chicken flavor Ramen noodles, and chicken.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Fried Curry Ramen Noodles by luvnit (Not really a recipe,...)
Wow, this sounds like stuff I should have in my cupboard to make a tasty "leftovers" dish. Thanks Laura and Maryann!!

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Re: Fried Curry Ramen Noodles by BarbaraS (Wow, this sounds lik...)
Thanks for the great Ramein ideas, you guys! These sound great!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Fried Curry Ramen Noodles by Gourmet_Mom (Thanks for the great...)
I love all these ideas! Somewhere along the line I never got into the Ramen noodles - can't imagine how I made it through college without them, but I did. So I never really had them in the pantry - but I'm going to now!
  Re: Re: Fried Curry Ramen Noodles by iBcookin (I love all these ide...)
Since I use these little goodies so often on the road, here are a couple of our favorites -

Ramen Noodle Chicken Pad Thai*****

1 package chicken flavor ramen noodles, 3 ounce
1 Tbs soy sauce
2 Tbs peanut butter
1/2 Tbs garlic chili paste
1 green onion, thinly sliced
1 cup cooked chicken
Unsalted chopped peanuts, garnish

2. Boil 2 cups of water in a saucepan. Add noodles, reserve flavor packet, and cook for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.

3. Reserve 1/4 cup cooking liquid. Drain noodles.

4. Add soy sauce, peanut butter and garlic chili paste to pan and stir to combine. If needed, add cooking liquid to smooth out sauce.

5. Add cooked noodles and stir to coat noodles. Add cooked chicken and stir to combine. Top with chopped peanuts. Serves 2.

Tips
My notes: first made 12/20/13 - wonderful dish. for a side, I tossed broccoli florettes & thin sliced stems in sesame oil and roasted until al dente. Perfect with the noodles. No soy except Kecap Manis, so used 1/2 & 1/2 water - worked fine. Use half or 3/4 of the meat called for.
Source: Chef's "On the Menu" newsletter - 10/14/13

------------
Szechuan Noodles*****

Made this recipe first time 5/13/08 and we liked it but it was too hot.
Made again 8/30/`12 (didn't remember making it before) This time - I used 3 pkgs. Top Ramen noodles and 1/2 the sauce, but using only 1 tablespoon of the Chinese chili oil and it was plenty hot, but super good. Served with Pork & Mushroom Stew from C@H Issue #83

2 package egg noodles (I use Nanka Seimen egg noodles) -- (12 ounce)
Dressing:
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
1/2 cup sesame oil
1/4 cup chinese chili oil (I use Sunluck Chili Oil)
1/2 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup white sugar

1. Cook the noodles according to the directions on the package. Mix the dressing ingredients. Add to the hot noodles and stir.

2. The noodles will absorb some dressing, Expect the noodles to be in a shallow "bath" of dressing.

3. Serve hot or cold ( I like it at room temperature). Garnish with chopped green onion and toasted sesame seeds.
Source: Rhonda Parkinson,
www.achefsjourney.com