T.G.I.F. Dinner, 6/13/14
  Re: (...)
Be careful - Friday, the 13th! What's on the menu for everyone today?

We have runnnig around to do today, so will pick something up on the run.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: T.G.I.F. Dinner, 6/13/14 by cjs (Be careful - Friday...)
Brad and I are both working hard today. He's working late so that we can enjoy the weekend. I will also work late.

We'll meet for cocktails on the deck later

Kids will have to grab what they can find

We have a fun/busy weekend for Father's day. Actually on Saturday I planned a day trip for us. It'll be nice to know our work is done and we can just have a good time!
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: T.G.I.F. Dinner, 6/13/14 by cjs (Be careful - Friday...)
Yeah, I got laid off one year ago to this day. But I love my new job!! Right now I am learning waaaaay too much about Excel, but it's so cool!

Anywho, it's a Calzone (store bought) for Hubby and a leftover French Dip for me. Geez, their Au Jus is fantastic!! How do you really make that anyway?

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Re: T.G.I.F. Dinner, 6/13/14 by BarbaraS (Yeah, I got laid off...)
The best jus for a French Dip is when you can keep the jus from cooking a beef roast.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: T.G.I.F. Dinner, 6/13/14 by cjs (The best jus for a F...)
Steak night! Pan fried filets with a new sauce(red wine-mushroom).
  Re: Re: T.G.I.F. Dinner, 6/13/14 by cjs (The best jus for a F...)
Okay, but seriously, I only get a little jus from a Roast Beast. What do you do with afterward. It's usually just a little red juice.

You know, I did buy this huge "sauces" book, I should look it up.

I remember Anthony Bourdain telling in his book that he used to keep plasticine packets of concentrated stocks ready to use in his classes to pass the class. Hmmm.

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Re: T.G.I.F. Dinner, 6/13/14 by BarbaraS (Okay, but seriously,...)
Grilling some chicken thighs since it rained last night and today and the air is clear for the next 24 hours. I can venture outside without sneezing to death

Also packing for an impromptu camping trip with some friends this weekend on the river
  Re: Re: T.G.I.F. Dinner, 6/13/14 by DFen911 (Grilling some chicke...)
Barbara, Knorr's has envelopes/pkgs. of demi-glace powder. You can mix up a couple cups of that and add to the roast you are cooking along with some water/beer/wine/whatever you prefer. That would give you a nicely flavored jus and enough to have sandwiches.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: T.G.I.F. Dinner, 6/13/14 by cjs (Barbara, Knorr's has...)
We are grilling steaks. I've got potatoes baking and salad is chilling.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: T.G.I.F. Dinner, 6/13/14 by Gourmet_Mom (We are grilling stea...)
For anyone who has a GFS (Gordon Food Service) nearby, they carry the Knorr demi-glace in a coffee can sized tin. I use it a lot to make gravy, but it's also nice to add a spoonful to chili, stews and soups to boost the flavor.

Tonight we had salmon burgers and a salad.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."