Scallop help
  Re: (...)
I have a 1 lb. pkg. of bay scallops to use up and my brain is really fried as far as ideas go.

So, I'm asking you all, what's your favorite scallop dish - I do have shrimp, sausage and bacon also. Mystery basket ideas.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Scallop help by cjs (I have a 1 lb. pkg. ...)
If this was a mystery basket dinner I would make scallop, shrimp and sausage skewers with a bacon vinaigrette.
  Re: Re: Scallop help by losblanos1 (If this was a myster...)
This is on my to-do list

Bay Scallops Gnocchi Piccata

Ingredients: Servings: 4-6
Gnocchi:
2 lbs – russet potatoes
8 oz - flour
1 tsp – salt
1 – whole egg
2 – egg yolks
zest of one lemon

Sauce:
2 Tbsp –butter
2 – garlic cloves, minced
1 Tbsp - flour
1 Tbsp – capers
juice of one lemon
16 oz - water

12-16 oz – bay scallops

Directions:
1. Heat 1 Tbsp of butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. When the butter has melted, turn off the heat and add 1 Tbsp flour. Whisk until the mixture is uniform. This roux will be used later to thicken the sauce.

2. Peel the potatoes, and then cut them into 2” x 2” pieces. Place them into a large pot and cover with water. Bring to a boil, and reduce the heat to medium/medium-high. Remove the potatoes from the water when they are fork tender. Drain the potatoes, and place into a large bowl. Use a food mill, potato ricer, or a potato masher to make the potatoes as smooth as possible.

3. Clean the pot used for cooking the potatoes, and fill it approximately half full with water. Place on the stove, and bring to a boil.

4. Crack the egg and two yolks into a small bowl and whisk. With the potatoes in a large bowl, form a mound with an indentation in the middle (like a volcano). Pour the eggs into the divot that has been created. Mix the potatoes and eggs until they have become fully incorporated. Next, add the salt, lemon zest, and half of the flour. Mix until a dough is formed.

5. Lightly flour a large work surface, such as a countertop. Place the potato mixture onto the counter, and add the remaining flour. Knead the dough until is not very tacky to the touch. Using a knife, slice off approximately 1/10th-1/8th of the dough. On a floured work surface, roll the dough out in a long tube (making it look like a snake). The dough should be approximately ½” thick in diameter. Using a sharp knife, cut the rolled out dough into ¾” long pieces. Using a floured fork or gnocchi paddle, press down to create indentations in the pieces.

6. Place the gnocchi into the boiling water. The gnocchi are cooked when they rise to the top and do not sink back down to the bottom. Taste the first batch for consistency. If they dissolve in the water or don’t hold together very well, the dough needs more flour added to it. Place the gnocchi into a large, oiled container. Repeat the rolling and cooking process until all of the gnocchi have been cooked.

7. Once the gnocchi have been cooked, place to the side.

8. Place a large saucepan on the stove over medium-high heat. Once the pan has become hot, add 1 Tbsp of butter. Once the butter has melted, add the 1 Tbsp of capers and the minced garlic. Allow to cook, but do not let the garlic over-blonde (some coloring is good, but burning the garlic will ruin the flavor of the entire dish). Add the 16oz of water and the juice from one lemon. Season with salt and black pepper.

9. Allow the sauce to cook for approximately 10 minutes. At this point, add the roux to the sauce, and fully incorporate with a whisk. Next, add the scallops and cook until they are cooked throughout. Remove from the heat.

10. Place a separate large pan on the stove (preferably a cast iron pan) over medium-high heat. When the pan is hot, add 1-2 Tbsp of Pastamore Meyer Lemon Oil. Add a desired portion of gnocchi into the pan. Do not stir or shake as they cook, allowing the gnocchi to sear on one side. When the gnocchi have achieved a good sear, remove from the pan and plate.

11. Top the gnocchi with the bay scallop piccata sauce. There may be some leftover gnocchi, which surely is not a bad thing.
  Re: Re: Scallop help by DFen911 (This is on my to-do ...)
Some sort of gratin sounds good to me! Could then serve that over pasta.
  Re: Re: Scallop help by Trixxee (Some sort of gratin ...)
I've not made this but it always looked good. It's from Cuisine at Home, issue 76.

Filipino-Style Shrimp
& Scallops

You might be surprised that this
marinade works really well with
your favorite steak.

Makes 4 servings

Preparation time: 15 minutes

1 medium lemon, chopped
1 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup low-sodium soy sauce
1/4 cup rice vinegar
1 Tbsp. minced garlic
1/2 tsp. black pepper
3/4 lb. jumbo shrimp, peeled and
deveined, tails left on
8 sea scallops (about 1/2 lb.)

Place lemon, onion, soy sauce,
vinegar, garlic, and pepper in a
food processor or blender and
process until minced. Pour marinade
into a large nonreactive bowl. Add
seafood; cover and marinate in the
refrigerator no longer than
30 minutes. Remove seafood
from marinade; discard marinade.
Thread scallops and shrimp onto
8 skewers. Coat seafood with
nonstick spray.

Preheat grill to high heat. Grill
kebabs, uncovered, over direct
heat, turning as needed, until firm,
about 6 minutes
  Re: Re: Scallop help by losblanos1 (I've not made this b...)
I screwed up...I didn't mean for this to be a mystery basket challenge. Ineed to use up the food in my freezer and I'm brain dead as far as ideas for using the scallops I have in the freezer.

I just wanted your favorite scallop recipes..............
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Scallop help by cjs (I screwed up...I did...)
LOL. The "mystery basket ideas" must have thrown us off.

Bay scallops are tiny things, right? Too small to skewer? I'm thinking of my favorite sushi gratin with them in it (probably has a lot of mayo in it). That's the only thing that comes to mind with the little guys.

Coquilles st. jacques type of thing.
  Re: Re: Scallop help by Trixxee (LOL. The "mystery b...)
Oh good Lord, I haven't made Coquilles St. Jacques for years and years - what a wondeful dish.................I don't know whether to say thanks or not. The one I make is involved.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Scallop help by cjs (Oh good Lord, I have...)
Popcorn Scallop Tacos

Cuisine at Home issue 86

Be sure your oil is heated to 360° before you start frying. If you don’t have a
thermometer, drop a few bits of panko into the oil — it’ll bubble up if it’s hot
enough. After frying, let the oil cool completely before discarding.

Makes 4 tacos
Total time: 30 minutes

COMBINE:
1/2 cup cornstarch
3/4 tsp. each kosher salt and
black pepper

WHISK:
2 eggs
1/4 tsp. each kosher salt and
black pepper
1 cup panko bread crumbs
2 cups canola oil

DREDGE:
8 oz. bay scallops, patted dry,
seasoned with salt and
black pepper
4 corn tortillas (6-inch)
4 leaves red leaf lettuce
1 mango, pitted, peeled, sliced
1/4 cup sliced red onion
Combine cornstarch, 3/4 tsp. salt,
and 3/4 tsp. pepper in a shallow
dish; set aside.
Whisk eggs, 1/4 tsp. salt, and 1/4 tsp.
pepper together in a shallow dish;
set aside. Pour panko into a third
shallow dish; set aside.
Heat oil in a large sauté pan over
medium to 360°.
Dredge each scallop in cornstarch
mixture, lightly coating sides. Dip
into egg mixture, then into panko.
Fry scallops in oil until browned on
all sides, 3 minutes total. Remove
scallops to a paper-towel-lined
plate. Season with salt; set aside.
Coat a nonstick skillet with nonstick
spray; fry each tortilla over
medium heat, 30 seconds per side.
Fill tortillas with lettuce, mango,
and onion. Divide scallops among
tacos, then top each taco with
Cilantro-Avocado Crema.

Per taco: 345 cal; 12g total fat (1g sat); 19mg chol;
291mg sodium; 46g carb; 2g fiber; 12g protein

Cilantro-Avocado Crema

Depending upon how spicy you want
your crema, add the jalapeño one
teaspoon at a time and taste.

Makes 1/2 cup

Total time: 10 minutes

PURÉE:
1/4 cup sour cream
2 Tbsp. chopped fresh cilantro
1 Tbsp. olive oil
1 tsp. minced garlic
1 small avocado (or 1/2 a large
avocado), pitted and peeled
Lime juice, minced jalapeño,
salt, and pepper to taste

Purée sour cream, cilantro, oil,
garlic, and avocado in a food
processor until smooth.
Season crema with lime juice,
jalapeño, salt, and pepper; chill
until ready to serve.
Per 2 Tbsp.: 104 cal; 10g total fat (3g sat); 10mg chol;
7mg sodium; 3g carb; 2g fiber; 1g protein
  Re: Re: Scallop help by losblanos1 (Popcorn Scallop Taco...)
Oh crap! Does that sound wonderful or what!!! Thanks Blane.
www.achefsjourney.com