Sunday Dinner, 8/3/14??
  Re: (...)
What's on the menu for everyone today??

I'm making Sausage, Pepper and Corn Frittata with my last bison sausage. Also, cooking up a batch of crab/shrimp chowder. It's really too hot for this, but I have to get the freezer load down.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Sunday Dinner, 8/3/14?? by cjs (What's on the menu f...)
Baby back spare ribs and a broccoli side dish of some kind.

Back in December, Peter had a glucose level of 22---yup---NOT a misprint!! We of course freaked out and decided to do the Banting diet. He absolutely is addicted to anything sweet so this was a bummer BUT.....Anyway, his sugar level is down to +/- 6, he has lost 40 pounds (a little too much IMHO), has discontinued his blood pressure med and is just about ready to dump the cholesterol med. WHAT A HUGE difference this diet has made. I am now slowly adding "stuff" to his meal plan and he seems to be tolerating this well with stable sugar levels.

Banting diet is low carb, high fat and high protein. No breads, pasta, baked goods or fruit of any kind! Avos are great (good fat) and nuts are allowed for snacks etc. I have added fruits slowly as well as tiny amounts of sweets now and then. Oh---you can eat as much cheese as you want. Full fat milk, yoghurt etc. recommended.

This has basically been my diet for ever--I didn't lose any weight but gained wrinkles

I will add more to this discussion as we go along...
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: Sunday Dinner, 8/3/14?? by Roxanne 21 (Baby back spare ribs...)
Interesting....I know I could not survive without my carbs and fruit. Well, I guess if I HAD TO.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Sunday Dinner, 8/3/14?? by cjs (Interesting....I kno...)
Sounds similar to South Beach, Roxanne. (Hi by the way)!

Tony is in the kitchen - making meatloaf for us (and for leftovers) and a medium sized batch of meatballs with jarred sauce for Michael (for leftovers too). Just no time or inclination to go through the trouble of homemade sauce if the kid is the only one who is going to be eating them. I will probably make au gratin potatoes and salad.

Funny, he will eat meatballs but not meatloaf.
  Re: Re: Sunday Dinner, 8/3/14?? by cjs (Interesting....I kno...)
We wound up having something else for dinner last night, so the Pecan Crusted Chicken is on for tonight.

Roxanne, I'm glad Peter is improving. I'm sure this must be difficult. I know I'd find it really difficult!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Sunday Dinner, 8/3/14?? by Gourmet_Mom (We wound up having s...)
Another day where everything sounds terrific.

That's great news Roxanne.

We're having the Pecan Crusted Chicken also.
  Re: Re: Sunday Dinner, 8/3/14?? by losblanos1 (Another day where ev...)
Blane, I'll just use your picture! No way I can plate like you do. Then again, who knows!

I will say I'm modifying this time. I'm going with goat cheese, what I have. And I'm using a different dressing. I remember this one being okay. (Yes, Jean...make notes! Maybe I'll get better when I retire? LOL!). Anyway, I have a solid, I could drink it, Honey Mustard Dressing. Seriously!
Daphne
  Re: Re: Sunday Dinner, 8/3/14?? by Gourmet_Mom (Blane, I'll just use...)
Okay, so I feel good about this one, so I'll post it. I just hope it looks as good as it tasted.

[Image: image-25.jpg]
Daphne
  Re: Re: Sunday Dinner, 8/3/14?? by Gourmet_Mom (Okay, so I feel good...)
Must have tasted good, Daphne - looks great!

I changed my mind yesterday and made Roberto's Sausage with onions, peppers & potatoes instead - I forget in between making this how much we enjoy it. Also made a Corn chowder (with lobster and prawns) from Journey...Home. Loved both!
[Image: Aug3RobertssDish_zps9b324851.jpg]

[Image: Aug3CornChowderwPrawnsandLobster_zps603ba982.jpg]

Great day of food!
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Sunday Dinner, 8/3/14?? by cjs (Must have tasted goo...)
Oh my! I can't decide which looks better! I KNOW how good the sausage tastes with regular sausage! So I guess I'd have to pick the chowder! My love of seafood wins out!

But nobody asked about my dressing substitute!
Daphne