Looking for corned beef recipe
  Re: (...)
I remember a discussion here (probably around St. Patrick's day) about how you guys fixed corned beef and how you all raved about it. Could anyone share that recipe again, or point me to the discussion. I am hopeless with this search button. Ordered a couple cases of corned beef when the purveyor ran a special and I think I will put it out there for my Thursday nite league. But after the city chicken didn't go over so well last week, I am having second thoughts about how to fix it.
As always, thanks for your help!
  Re: Looking for corned beef recipe by iBcookin (I remember a discuss...)
Linda, my favorite is from a long time ago - think C2C!! It's Attie's recipe and I put it in a Chef's Journey...Home, page 187 and as far as I'm concerned the best there is!!

-----------------------
Attie remembering: “I worked in an Irish place for a while and we developed a pretty tasty and easy method for doing a kick-[censored] corned beef. When it's done, remove the meat to a rack of some sort and allow to rest and cool for a little while. The cooking liquid can then be strained, defatted and used to cook the remainder of the boiled dinner, thickened as a gravy or sauce, or just used as a jus. Good luck!”

Attie’s Corned Beef

Lay your brisket in a deep hotel pan. If the meat is too big, cut it into more manageable pieces. Then, discard the seasoning mix, if one's included. Next, throw in a couple chopped onions, a couple handfuls of garlic cloves, some whole peppercorns and a couple bay leaves. Next, in a mixing bowl, mix about half a gallon of dark beer (a good brown or stout works well) with a cup of molasses and half cup brown sugar, and pour over the meat till about 2/3 covered (supplement with water if needed). Cover tightly with foil and throw into a 350-400°F. oven. For 12 lbs. of beef, it could take upwards of 6-7 hours to cook, but start checking after about 4 hours. You want the beef at an internal temperature of 200°F. I know that may sound overcooked, but the brisket is full of tough connective tissue that won't break down until it gets to around 200°F. At that point, it'll be fork tender.

CJ’s note: Well that’s the recipe my old friend from Australia sent me. I’ve refined it a bit and this is the best corned beef I’ve ever tasted and the house smells just wonderful while it’s cooking.

Approximately a 2 1/2 lb. corned beef.
1 onion
3 cloves garlic, smashed
10-12 black peppercorns
1 Bay leaf
2 11-oz. bottles of Guinness Draught (may be a little more than needed, but we all agreed more beer can’t hurt)
1/3 cup molasses
2 T. brown sugar

I cooked mine at 375°F. After 4 hours the internal temperature had reached 210°F and was very tender. Thanks Attie, I’ve never had a better corned beef and Muenster sandwich in my life.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Looking for corned beef recipe by cjs (Linda, my favorite i...)
My favorite is the Whiskey glazed corned beef from CAH issue 62 (4/2007).
  Re: Re: Looking for corned beef recipe by Cubangirl (My favorite is the W...)
I've done that one, also, and it is good.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Looking for corned beef recipe by cjs (I've done that one, ...)
Guess who just came home with a corned beef? Guilty! I am going to try the Attie's recipe on Thursday.

Already looking forward to leftovers - Reubens and hash.
  Re: Re: Looking for corned beef recipe by Trixxee (Guess who just came ...)
Shoot all this talk and I'm going to have to look for a brisket!
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Looking for corned beef recipe by cjs (Shoot all this talk ...)
Thanks guys! I thought it was baked slow, not boiled like I normally do. The beer and molasses sounds wonderful. Maybe if I call it "Guinness Corned Beef" it will sell more
  Re: Re: Looking for corned beef recipe by iBcookin (Thanks guys! I thoug...)
Linda, you can't go wrong with Attie's.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Looking for corned beef recipe by cjs (Linda, you can't go ...)
Linda, you will LOVE this! So much better than boiled!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Looking for corned beef recipe by Gourmet_Mom (Linda, you will LOVE...)
Have some brisket in the fridge for corned beef right now. It will be ready Tuesday.

HERE is the thread where I posted a link to the recipe I use and some notes from the experience.

This is SO much better than any store-bought corned beef I've ever had.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?