Cannelloni Tri-Colore
  Re: (...)
Last week, on Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives, we saw a dish from an Italian restaurant that looked really good. It was not one of the recipes available for the episode, though, so I watched the show again and paused the video frequently in order to take detailed notes as they demonstrated how it was made. Then, since I hadn't made fresh pasta for my mom, yet, she decided she wanted me to make it for this dish.

Well, I made it Friday and it was delicious - so were the leftovers for dinner Sunday night and lunch yesterday.

Here it is, in recipe form, but without any measurements, since none were given on the show. It's not the kind of recipe where the quantities are THAT critical. For the pasta, I used 100 grams of flour, one egg, a pinch of salt and a little drizzle of olive oil. It even worked well with King Arthur AP flour - not even semolina.

Cannelloni Tri-Colore

Ingredients:
  • Fresh pasta sheets
  • Extra-virgin olive oil (divided)
  • Onion, chopped
  • Zucchini, diced
  • Yellow squash, diced
  • Mushrooms, sliced
  • Grilled chicken, shredded
  • Parsley
  • Salt
  • Freshly ground black pepper
  • Ricotta
  • Parmigiano Reggiano, grated (divided)
  • Egg
  • Basil (divided)
  • Oregano
  • Garlic
  • Heavy cream
  • Marinara sauce
  • Alfredo sauce
  • Parmigiano Reggiano, shaved
  • Pine nuts, toasted
  • Pea shoots
Instructions:
  1. In a sauté pan, sweat the onions, zucchini, yellow squash and mushrooms.
  2. Add the chicken, parsley, salt and pepper.
  3. Allow to cool slightly.
  4. Mix together the Ricotta, Parmigiano Reggiano, egg, basil and oregano.
  5. In a food processor, process the garlic, basil, olive oil and Parmigiano Reggiano.
  6. Fold in the heavy cream.
  7. Boil the pasta until a little less than al dente.
  8. Lay the pasta flat.
  9. Pipe a thick line of the Ricotta mixture across the middle of the pasta, from left to right.
  10. Lay the filling in a line next to the piped Ricotta.
  11. Roll the top and bottom of the pasta toward the middle, overlapping slightly.
  12. Slice to desired length.
  13. In a sauté pan, bring a small amount of water just to a boil.
  14. Steam the cannelloni in the pan, with the seam side down, covered, for a couple of minutes.
  15. Serve topped with lines of marinara, Alfredo and pesto (Italian flag).
  16. Garnish with shaved Parmigiano Reggiano, toasted pine nuts and pea shoots.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Cannelloni Tri-Colore by labradors (Last week, on [i]Din...)
Sounds good, Labs.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Cannelloni Tri-Colore by cjs (Sounds good, Labs. [...)
Sounds wonderful, Labs. I'm going to save this idea for a gathering with Italian friends. Might have to leave out the cream though. Sounds a bit rich. (but delicious)
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Cannelloni Tri-Colore by Mare749 (Sounds wonderful, La...)
This sounds really good! And I think I may have actually seen this episode.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Cannelloni Tri-Colore by labradors (Last week, on [i]Din...)
We saw this episode and Bob and Jeff and I are all looking forward to making this so thank you for the recipe Labs.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Cannelloni Tri-Colore by Mare749 (Sounds wonderful, La...)
Quote:

Might have to leave out the cream though. Sounds a bit rich. (but delicious)

That may have been just their way to tone down the pesto a bit or to match the colour of the Italian flag a little more closely.

For that matter, you could use a ready-made pesto for that part.

The three sauces do make for a nice presentation, though, along with good variations in taste on a single plate.

I love to make the fresh pasta. It's SO much easier than I had ever imagined, it's fun and it's delicious.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Cannelloni Tri-Colore by labradors ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Quote:

I love to make the fresh pasta. It's SO much easier than I had ever imagined, it's fun and it's delicious.

Sigh...Did you have to add this last comment, Labs? I was thinking how great this would be to do with the Barilla no-boil noodles. Now I have to try pasta again!

It really does sound delicious. I love all of the veggies in the filling.
  Re: Re: Cannelloni Tri-Colore by karyn ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Oh this is a great idea Labs - love the three sauces. I already have the pesto and marinara.

But I would probably take the easy way out and just make regular old stuffed shells/manicotti but top with the three sauces. Sounds like a good project for Tony one of these weekends (with leftovers for school nights).