Thursday's Dinner, 8/14/14??
  Re: (...)
What's on the menu for today??

I made a great wrap last night for us to split - it was so good, I think we'll have a repeat for dinner today.
Turkey (chicken) Cobb Salad Roll Up with Carrot Slaw
[Image: Aug13ChixCobbSaladRollUpwcarrotslaw_zps7bc8a066.jpg]

But, I want a whole one today!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Thursday's Dinner, 8/14/14?? by cjs (What's on the menu f...)
OK, if I don't make the sausage minestra soup I've been saying I'm going to make I'm going to start to feel like an person. LOL.
  Re: Re: Thursday's Dinner, 8/14/14?? by Trixxee (OK, if I don't make ...)
We shall wait with bated breath to hear if you are......
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Thursday's Dinner, 8/14/14?? by cjs (We shall wait with b...)
Holly and I are both trying this new recipe tonight:

Orecchiette with Shrimp

This combination is amusing because of the similar shapes of the pasta and the shrimp. An immersion blender is handy for small purées right in the bowl. You can use young fave, if available, instead of the peas.

1 cup shelled peas
4 T. extra virgin olive oil
3 small spring onions, finely chopped
1 tsp. salt, plus more for the pasta
¾ tsp pepper
3/4 lb. orecchiette
1 lb. medium shrimp or small prawns, peeled and cleaned
4 garlic cloves, peeled and smashed
½ cup white wine

1. Bring pasta water to a boil in a large pasta pot. In a large skillet over medium-low heat, cook the peas in 1 T. of olive oil about 3 minutes, and then add the chopped onions to the pan. Cook until the onions are soft and the peas are barely tender, about 3 minutes more. Remove to a small bowl, season with half the salt and pepper and purée.

2. When pasta water begins to boil, add salt and the orecchiette. Cook for about 12 minutes. In the same skillet, sauté shrimp in the remaining olive oil with the garlic and the rest of the salt and pepper. When the shrimp turn pink, after 3 or 4 minutes, addd the white wine, turn the heat to high for 1 minute, and then turn it off and discard the garlic.

3. When al dente, drain the pasta, reserving some water, and retrn it to the pot. Add the shrimp and peas, along with about 1/3 cup of the reserved pasta water. Toss well and serve.

Servings: 6

Author: Frances Mayes Under the Tuscan Sun Cookbook
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Thursday's Dinner, 8/14/14?? by Mare749 (Holly and I are both...)
darn, I don't have that book with me. Maryann, I'm so glad you posted this recipe. I so want to make it!!

Well, this isn't dinner, but it kept us from stopping for lunch!!
Another first for me - Chokecherry ice cream cone - oh my, I love this berry. Farmers market this weekend, so maybe fresh from what I read this is the time for them. fingers crossed.
[Image: Aug14ChokecherryIcecreamcone_zps64c8248e.jpg]

We took a drive to Fort Stevenson in Garrison, N.D. and it was so pretty. Got the ice cream at the marina
[Image: Aug14GarrisonBayatFtStevensonPark_zpse51f01db.jpg]
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Thursday's Dinner, 8/14/14?? by cjs (Damn, I don't have t...)
Wow, that is beautiful, Jean. The scenery and the ice cream! How I wish we were on the road right behind you.

Never heard of chokecherry, but will look for it at the West Side Market just so we can try them.
Maryann

Re: Re: Thursday's Dinner, 8/14/14?? by Mare749 (Holly and I are both...)
Duly noted to my reminders! I need to do a shrimp entrée in the near future so that Hubby remembers that shrimp can have "taste"!

Jean, did you post that turkey cob recipe anywhere I might have missed?

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Re: Thursday's Dinner, 8/14/14?? by BarbaraS (Duly noted to my rem...)
Barbara, you are so subtle! LOL!

Maryann, that pasta sound great! Copied and saved!

Jean, I agree with Maryann. That ALL looks wonderful! I'm glad I get to go along for the ride. Not having taste or smell available stinks, though!

Tonight is a continuation of favorites....8 Layer Lasagna! YUM!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Thursday's Dinner, 8/14/14?? by Gourmet_Mom (Barbara, you are so ...)
Daphne, you sure are making some great meals this week.

The pasta dish that Holly and I both made tonight was a huge hit. Her family raved about it, although Abby said it had a bit too much pepper for her. And that was even after Holly had cut it back to 1/2 tsp. I also cut it back to 1/2 tsp. but probably could have put in the whole amount because we ended up putting crushed red pepper flakes on it anyway.

Anyway, this is a fast, easy dish and our new favorite. I hope everyone tries this one. Oh, and the reason there is no photo is because the dish wasn't really photo worthy in my opinion, but what a wonderful surprise when we started eating.
Maryann

Re: Re: Thursday's Dinner, 8/14/14?? by Mare749 (Daphne, you sure are...)
It's on my list, Maryann!

Barbara, here's the recipe - it's from a $1.99 ebook I picked up last week, Fresh Food Fast.
Here it is with my notes.

Turkey (Chicken) Cobb Salad Roll Up with Carrot Slaw*****

Great recipe - made 8/13/14 - 4 servings

Combine and fill tortilla:
2 cups lettuce
1 cup chopped tomatoes
1/4 cup green onions
3 Tbs blue cheese dressing
Pepper
8 oz chicken/turkey
1 avocado
4 flatbreads or tortilla wraps
-------------------
Top with carrot slaw:
2 1/2 Tbs lemon juice
1 Tbs olive oil
1 Tbs honey
Salt & pepper
3 1/2 cups shredded carrots
1 1/2 cups diced apple

1. Combine the wrap ingredients and top a flatbread or tortilla wrap.

2. Combine the slaw ingrediens and serve with the wrap.

Tips
My notes: didn't read the recipe well enough when writing it down - the slaw was to be served separately, not part of the wrap, but we liked it in the wrap.

Also, I had 2 slices of bacon in the fridge that needed using - fried those up and added to wrap ingred. Plus I added 1/2 tsp. Dijon to help the dressing combine better and for the added flavor.

Source: From Fresh Food Fast – ebook on my ipad

------
We liked it so well, I made it again last night - plus we picked up an apple, which I didn't have the first time I made it.
www.achefsjourney.com