Salt Police Defeat
  Re: (...)
The New England Journal of Medicine published a study saying AHA rec is one half the intake needed to maintain health. Sorry for the anti flavor folks. The AHA rec could be dangerously low for good health. Reported by the WSJ.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Salt Police Defeat by Old Bay (The New England Jour...)
Bill, I don't know what the hell you just said.....
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Salt Police Defeat by cjs (Bill, I don't know w...)
Quote:

Bill, I don't know what the hell you just said.....

The American Heart Association max limit on sodium is 1/2 What a new study says is good for health. We can consume twice as much salt as we have been told for years. How good will that taste?!

Sorry, I was so excited I forget to mention I talking about SALT!!
  Re: Re: Salt Police Defeat by Old Bay ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
OMG! I'm glad I had swallowed my wine when I read this! Jean, you're HILARIOUS! But to be fair, I was a little confused, myself.

Thanks for the clarification, Bill! I have cut mine back by half. Since I was a salt-aholic before, I should be good now.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Salt Police Defeat by Gourmet_Mom (OMG! I'm glad I had...)
I have to admit I had to read it three times to makes heads or tails out of it. LOL.

I actually do have a friend who is about 73 and the doctor told her last month to increase her salt levels. She's been feeling poorly and that was the only thing that came back bad.
  Re: Re: Salt Police Defeat by Trixxee (I have to admit I ha...)
Trixxee, it's funny you mention that. Ashley's BF's grandmother eats NO salt! She has been hospitalized more than once for this and her doctor keeps warning her. She won't listen. She weights next to nothing! It's pitiful!
Daphne
  Re: Re: Salt Police Defeat by Gourmet_Mom (Trixxee, it's funny ...)
Salt police defeated! Next, pork fat police!
  Re: Re: Salt Police Defeat by Old Bay (Salt police defeated...)
Oh, now THAT's a group I'd love to take down!!!! Explain this researchers!

My grandparents raised hogs...the old fashioned way. Lard went in biscuits and was used like we use olive oil, et. al, unless she used bacon grease. Fat back or streak-o-lean seasoned fresh vegetables. If the meat was fried before seasoning the veggies, it was served as part of the meal. Biscuits were on the table all day, every day. Bacon, country ham, and/or sausage was part of breakfast every day. They lived to be in their late 90's!
Daphne
  Re: Re: Salt Police Defeat by Gourmet_Mom (Oh, now THAT's a gro...)
I wish this forum had a 'Like' button
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: Salt Police Defeat by luvnit (I wish this forum ha...)
When we were raising pigs, my youngest who is a diabetic, could eat as much of our pork that he wanted. But not so with commercial and that was in the 70s.

Even with the health problems I've had, sodium has not been a problem. And, my motto has always been Julia's as far as salt goes - moderation in all things.

P.S. to Bill - Sorry my friend - we went out to lunch....and had some wine I read this to Roy and he didn't understand it either. But, he had had wine also. Thanks
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com