Pepper hopes
  Re: (...)
Now that I'm back in the States and have access to more, I'm hoping to be able to experiment with a few types of chiles.

Toward that end, I've just discovered and sent off a request to a free "seed bank" maintained by one of the members of the C2C Pepper Forum (don't think it's related to the other C2C we know), hoping I can grow some red and yellow rocotos, ajís amarillos, serranos, guajillos and cubanelles.

If any of you are interested in growing different varieties of peppers or even just want more information about them, give that forum a try.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Pepper hopes by labradors (Now that I'm back in...)
Well, I'll just frustrate myself, but this sure will be interesting. I've always enjoyed growing different peppers.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Pepper hopes by cjs (Well, I'll just frus...)
They have a very wide variety of seeds available. I don't know how good (i.e. fruitful) the seeds are, but the people on that forum seem to do okay with them, in general (although rocoto seeds are known for taking a while to germinate).

If this works out, it will make me wish I had a lot more area available for growing them (and for trying other varieties).
  Re: Re: Pepper hopes by labradors (They have a very wid...)
Received yesterday:

[Image: 2fa82sm.jpg]

From top left to lower right: Guajillo, Cubanelle, Serrano, Yellow Rocoto, Ají Amarillo, Red Manzano

We'll see how they do. May try the "EarthBox" or "Patio Pickers" so I won't have to dig in the ground (just in case - HOA) and will be able to move them inside if it gets too cold during the winters.
  Re: Re: Pepper hopes by labradors (Received yesterday:[...)
Would love to join you in this project!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Pepper hopes by labradors (Received yesterday:[...)
We grow Cubanelles in a pot and they are doing great. Ditto for Serrano and Fresno (not sure why Steve planted those since neither is a good drying pepper and we don't like hot).
  Re: Re: Pepper hopes by Cubangirl (We grow Cubanelles i...)
@Jean: Not sure how you'd do on the road, but you can certainly request seeds the same way I did. You would have to register for the forum (the seed area is for members only, but it is free).

They have quite a selection and it's a bit confusing, at first, but it's hard to beat the concept AND the fact that it's free.

@Alina: Serranos have been my favourites for a long time, but the Rocotos/Manzanos may soon claim that spot. When I tried some in Honduras, they were amazing. You probably wouldn't care for those or the ají amarillo, since they are very hot. Even so, they do have a wonderful flavour and not ONLY the heat.
  Re: Re: Pepper hopes by labradors (@Jean: Not sure how ...)
I would love to do that, but more important to me on the road is to have fresh herbs, so I just have one long planter with rosemary, basil, & mint. And, I'm in between plantings right now, so I have nada!!

I'm with you, Serranos are my favorite!! But, guess I'll have to start playing with Rocotos/Manzanos when we get settled. Saving this thread!
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Pepper hopes by cjs (I would love to do t...)
I have to chime in here. I will be the Debbie Downer on this.

Getting seeds from a local seed bank and growing in the same environment I'm all for. Getting seeds from outside your state I would check with your state's extension office to see if they are allowed. Just because fruits and vegetables are in seed state does not mean they aren't harboring a tiny pest that once hatch can wreck havoc on home gardens and larger crops.

One farmer up here brought up seeds from CA to plant in his fields. They were certified organic beans. But a few of them were infested with a bean beetle we've never had up here before. They will stay dormant in seeds till they are hydrated. They consumed an entire crop and spread to neighboring gardens.

Peppers seeds can also harbor mites.