Saturday's Dinner, 8/30/14??
  Re: (...)
Where did August go????

What's on the menu for everyone (except Barbara - don't want to hear anymore about hers!!!! ) today??

I have 2 more stuffed peppers (which were delicious), but I'm hearing this little burg of Thief River Falls has a very good Mexican restaurant, so maybe...................
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Saturday's Dinner, 8/30/14?? by cjs (Where did August go?...)
Well, if everything goes according to plans, baked then finished on the grill buffalo wings and your herb and apple pasta salad. Tony bought all the ingredients for the salad yesterday. I am so ready for a new "side".
  Re: Saturday's Dinner, 8/30/14?? by cjs (Where did August go?...)
We are doing our staff pool party today. Two of my folks will have children and grandchildren all born while they were employees of the Miller Agency. They will all be here. One has been there 31 years and the other 30. I have been truly blessed. Shrimp, salsa, hatch dip, ground brisket hamburgers, venison chili dogs, beer brats, homemade potato chips, sausage, and fresh peach cobbler will be plentiful. Three generations! Wow!
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Saturday's Dinner, 8/30/14?? by Old Bay (We are doing our sta...)
Sandwiches on the run. Heading out tonight for a bluegrass festival and going to picnic in the park
  Re: Re: Saturday's Dinner, 8/30/14?? by DFen911 (Sandwiches on the ru...)
Well, crap - are we going to Bill & Jane's first or Barbara's?????????????????????????
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Saturday's Dinner, 8/30/14?? by cjs (Well, crap - are we ...)
Better go to Bill and Jane's. They're having the party, I've only got 2 legs and I'll fight for them!

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Re: Saturday's Dinner, 8/30/14?? by BarbaraS (Better go to Bill an...)
OMG! We're having FISH for dinner! Not sure what kind they caught yet, but it doesn't matter. I'd bread minnows for the boy if that's all he had.

I'll have to wait until it gets here. He is so excited! Wants me to make Fish Sticks for dinner. I may have to whip up a Garlic and Lemon Aoli for a dipping sauce.

Pictures coming soon of Facebook!
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: Joe brought home fish for dinner!!! by luvnit (OMG! We're having FI...)
High Fives to Joe!!!!

Laura, if you see this in time (well, heck, we're in the same time zone!! ) - here's a sauce/dip that is wonderful that a friend just gave me the recipe for a few months ago after we made pigs of ourselves at their house.

Guimi’s Butter Rouille*****

New friends treated us to a wonderful Paella dinner last evening – Gary & Guimi entertained us royally with a Shellfish/Chicken/Sausage/kitchen sink dish cooked in their gazebo while the rest of us relaxed with good wine and ‘hearty’ Bloody Marys. Finished the evening with a rum cake and port. Happy campers all! Our thanks to them for a wonderful evening – the first of many get togethers, I’m sure.

It should not surprise anyone that I came away with a recipe! Guimi makes the tastiest Butter Rouille which we all were ‘slathering with abandonment’ (like that? J ) on our bread rounds. A perfect match for the Paella!

3 cloves garlic
1/3 tsp red pepper flakes
1 cup mayo
Ground pepper
1/3 tsp saffron which has been soaked in 1 T. hot water

Author Notes
I’m going to tape this recipe to my Paella book so it’s always handy!
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Joe brought home fish for dinner!!! by cjs (High Fives to Joe!!!...)
Too funny, Jean!!! Traveling is really going to mess with your mind with the changing time zones!!! LOL!

I have been spending my weekend doing research for science lesson plans for the coming weeks! It has really been fun but time consuming! I forgot how much time I have put into my literature units over the years! For those Moms and Grandmas out there I have discovered three wonderful things while doing this....and rediscovered an old favorite! First, YouTube has three things you need to check out! A lot of the Bill Nye series can be found here! Then you must check out two teachers' video series! One uses contemporary artist music and wrote lyrics to help kids to remember science facts...Mr. Parr. The other teacher did the same thing with popular rap music....Mr. Lee. One more site for you, http://www.discoveryeducation.com. These are great resources for you to help the kids and/or to share with your teachers!

I'll stop now. We have enjoyed time on the deck over the weekend, too, though! But dinner Saturday night was a bust! I had asked the guys to pick up London Broil. When they called to say the store was out, I suggested steak instead. But the butcher suggested he could cut something similar to the London Broil. I don't know what it was, but it was like shoe leather! I ate a baked potato and a salad! They won't do that again, I bet!!!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Joe brought home fish for dinner!!! by Gourmet_Mom (Too funny, Jean!!! ...)
How fun this last year is going to be for you and your students, Ddaphne.!
Our friend and neighbor taught a math/science class a couple of years ago and she worked with Roy for a class project on Space. I'm going to email her and see if she will tell you what all she used and did for her class with him. I know the kids loved it. ( Piddle, was halfway thru this and realized it should be a private msg. - but I'm on ipad and don't want to do it all over again)
www.achefsjourney.com