On The Road II Recipe to Test
  Re: (...)
I know I haven't even finished Book I, but I have too many ideas for just one book.

Would love if any of you would be willing to test this idea.

Mini Elephant Ears (aka Pig's Ears - thanks Labs)

a Chef’s Journey recipe adapted from a Pillsbury recipe
makes 8-10 ‘ears’ depending on how thin the rolls are sliced

1 can Pillsbury Crescent rolls, 8 count
1/4 cup sugar
1 to 1 1/2 tsps. cinnamon
2 Tbs butter, melted

1. Preheat oven to 375°F.

2. Combine the sugar and cinnamon and set aside.

3. Unroll roll dough being careful to keep intact.

4. Divide in half so you have 2 squares. Pinch together all the perforated sections for each square.

5. Roll one square out to 1/4 inch thickness. Brush with half the butter; sprinkle with half the cinnamon/sugar mixture. Roll out 2nd square to match the size of the first. Carefully lay over, matching edges. Brush with the butter and sprinkle with remaining cinnamon/sugar mixture.
[Image: Aug30MiniElephantearrolleddough_zps68cca84b.jpg]
[Image: Aug30MiniElephantearswcinnsugar_zpsbb942359.jpg]
6. Roll up and cut roll into 1-inch slices, roll individually between sheets of waxed paper to 1/4-inch thickness, replacing paper as needed. Place on ungreased cookie sheets.
[Image: Aug30MiniElephantearsrolled2_zpsce1c1d0d.jpg]
7. Bake 15 to 18 minutes until golden brown and crisp. Cool on rack.
[Image: Aug30MiniElephantEars_zps5cf8401e.jpg]

These are so tasty and makes few enough you can eat them in just a couple of days.

Just thought - I bet some of our young cooks could handle making these.......Maryann, Erin, Laura, etc.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: On The Road II Recipe to Test by cjs (I know I haven't eve...)
Maybe it's a regional thing, but where I come from, "mini elephant ears" are called "pig's ears."

My! They look delicious, though - whatever one calls them!
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: On The Road II Recipe to Test by labradors (Maybe it's a regiona...)
Oh, I much prefer pig's ears!!! (as you knew I would!)

So be it.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: On The Road II Recipe to Test by cjs (Oh, I much prefer pi...)
And, this one just made - grew out of a need to cook up some sugar peas that I've had too long. P.S. I really did not have high hopes for the flavor combination, but son-of-a-gun, it works.

Sugar Snap Pea Stir-Fry
[Image: Aug30StirFryPeaPods_zps621db38d.jpg]

This quick-to-cook recipe will complement most any spring entrée be it ham, lamb, chicken or fish. Best of all, it's easy to double for large crowds.

1 pound fresh sugar snap peas
2 teaspoons canola oil
1 garlic clove, minced
1/3 cup thinly sliced onion
2 T. herb mixture: I used mint, cilantro & basil
3 slices pickled jalapeno
1 1/2 T. pine nuts

In a large nonstick skillet or wok, sauté the onions 4 minutes; add the garlic and continue sautéing 1 minute. Add peas and jalapeno slices and stir fry 4 minutes until peas are crisp tender. Sprinkle with the herbs and pine nuts to combine. 4 servings
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: On The Road II Recipe to Test by cjs (And, this one just m...)
Ok I'm going to ask a dumb question. But before I do, I love this recipe and think it would be so good with a bit of sweetened cream cheese. (That's if I could eat cream cheese)

That being said..why are they called 'mini elephant ears' or 'pig ears'? They don't look like ears, the look like pinwheels. Am I missing something? Please help me understand!!
  Re: Re: On The Road II Recipe to Test by DFen911 (Ok I'm going to ask ...)
Just a play on words....or ears. But, they do sort of resemble elephant (have you not had them at a fair? the huge ones??) or pig's ears.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: On The Road II Recipe to Test by cjs (Just a play on words...)
The typical "pig's" or "elephant's" ear pastries are made from puff pastry and often have two lobes of twists in them. The French name is "palmier" (literally "palm"), but the German name is "Schweineohren" (literally "pig's ears").

In PA, NY, MA, NJ, etc. (where I grew up), the smaller ones (about four inches in diameter) were sold as "pig's ears," while the larger ones (about eight or nine inches) were sold as "elephant ears." Most had two "lobes," however.

Here are two pictures I found on the Web that show them as I remember them:

[Image: 63OdFWy.jpg]

[Image: ST4KeFo.jpg]
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: On The Road II Recipe to Test by labradors (The typical "pig's" ...)
Never had one. But they look great!
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: On The Road II Recipe to Test by luvnit (Never had one. But t...)
I've never had one either Lab's yes I do see the resemblance now. I need to get to a fair. lol
  Re: Re: On The Road II Recipe to Test by DFen911 (I've never had one e...)
I've never seen those around here, but then, it's been a long time since I've been to the fair.

I will try to make the Pigs Ears soon, but I won't be able to do the sugar snap one. They are too difficult to find around here.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.