Preserving - Pesto (blanched v. regular)
  Re: (...)
I was intrigued by a recent blog article about blanching basil leaves prior to making pesto. The theory was: Blanching stops the oxidation process in the leaves. Thus, making for a terrific green appearance that never turned dark or blackish. Another terrific idea was to use the basil water to make some pasta. Sounds good right? (I think you can see where I am going with this... )

So I just make a batch of each, one batch of blanched basil leaf pesto and one just the old fashioned regular way.

Hands down the regular way is MUCH better.

#1) By blanching the leaves first you lose the signature texture that pesto lovers look forward too. The leaves are just too soft to 'chop' after blanching.

#2) The regular pesto had so much more flavor! I think you leave a lot of the oils in the water when you blanch.

#3) That great idea about making pasta in the basil water... Fine, but actually the water turns blackish-and looks gross. You could do it, but I hardly think the end result would be very appealing.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Preserving - Pesto (blanched v. regular) by luvnit (I was intrigued by a...)
Excellent review Laura thank you! I make batches and put them in jars and freeze them. But they still turn dark after opened, but taste so good
  Re: Re: Preserving - Pesto (blanched v. regular) by DFen911 (Excellent review Lau...)
Good to know, Laura thanks for sharing with us all. Love pesto.
Now that you've started this thread, why not add all our wonderful ideas for using pesto?? What a great thread it would be.

I'll start - I love to use it as a sauce for pizza (knew that was coming, didn't you???? )
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Preserving - Pesto (blanched v. regular) by DFen911 (Excellent review Lau...)
I freeze mine in ice cube trays. They stay beautifully green in plastic bags anI only thaw as much as I need. Freeze them in the tray and dump them in the bag and seal.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Preserving - Pesto (blanched v. regular) by cjs (Good to know, Laura ...)
I do not blanch. I use pesto in pasta salad. Also try some sun dried tomato pesto on pizza and in pasta salad .
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Preserving - Pesto (blanched v. regular) by Old Bay (I do not blanch. I ...)
I use pesto on a grilled chicken sandwich rather than mayo or the like.

Also, I've added a spoonful or two to tortellini/chicken soup.

One thing I have on my to do list (got the idea from the Celebrate the Rain cookbook) is to roast a chicken and put the pesto under the skin.
  Re: Re: Preserving - Pesto (blanched v. regular) by Trixxee (I use pesto on a gri...)
I think pesto is great on turkey sandwiches, hamburgers, hot dogs, etc., and of course bruschetta.
  Re: Re: Preserving - Pesto (blanched v. regular) by Cubangirl (I think pesto is gre...)
Thanks so much for doing the experiments, Laura. I had also read about blanching, and now I don't have to try it.

I forgot to plant basil this year... actually, I forgot to plant a lot of things this year as we were making 6-hour trips every other week to move our accumulated "stuff" to our new home. But for some reason, even after our horribly cold winter last year, I got a couple of Thai basil volunteers that took off like crazy.

But, back to the Italian basil pesto. For a quick entree, I saute strips of chicken breast, sliced onions, and red bell peppers, add chicken broth and a couple of spoonfuls of pesto, cook it down a little, and serve over pasta.

I actually bought some pesto at Trader Joe's the other day and just added "roasting chicken" to my shopping list for this week-- thanks, Trixxee!
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: Re: Preserving - Pesto (blanched v. regular) by foodfiend (Thanks so much for d...)
We had quite a concoction with leftover pesto spaghetti squash the other day - Fried potatoes (w/onions, steak, jalapeno, garlic) and topped with l/o pesto squash - it was very tasty.

And, another flavor that goes so well with this darn Forestedge White Cranberry wine from Walker, MN!
first night's dinner -
[Image: Sept25ChacheresRubbedStkandPestoSpaghett...88f7f3.jpg]

and, leftovers - such great flavors
[Image: Sept26ourplatespotatoessquash_zps0b2ab3a6.jpg]
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Preserving - Pesto (blanched v. regular) by cjs (We had quite a conco...)
I usually do what Bill does. This year, I tried vacuum sealing some fresh herbs. It worked great with parsley, oregano, and thyme. The basil turned dark. Back to freezing it.

As for using it, I'll add another one. I make a Béchamel, add pesto, and serve with chicken and angel hair pasta.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.