Converting Grill Heat and Times To Oven Temp/Times
  Re: (...)
I thought someone may have posted this before, but could not find the thread.

How would one convert Grill heat and times to oven temp and times? Has anyone ever done this?

I found a recipe for Grilled Bacon-wrapped Corn that calls for 10 minutes on high (it's wrapped in aluminum foil), and then 40 minutes on low, turning occasionally. Hubby is not interested in babysitting the grill for a long period of time.

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Converting Grill Heat and Times To Oven Temp/Times by BarbaraS (I thought someone ma...)
Interesting. It's usually the other way around for me. But...

I think what I'd do is prep the corn as stated; bake in a pre-heated 450-475° oven for 10 minutes, turning after 5 min.
Reduce the heat to 325-350° (to me it is hard to get grill heat much lower than that unless you leave the lid open.) bake for the time rotating the corn every 10 minutes or so.

If the instructions say to leave the grill open at the lower heat, I'd reduce the oven temp. to ~275°

Either way, gotta say this sounds like an awfully long time to cook corn.

Anxious to hear other opinions.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Converting Grill Heat and Times To Oven Temp/Times by cjs (Interesting. It's us...)
Jean,

Thanks for the response. I agree, it's a long time to cook corn, but I'm assuming the necessity of time is to cook the bacon to a crispy finish. At least, that's what the pic looks like.

[url=http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Grilled-Bacon-Wrapped-Corn-on-the-Cob/Detail.aspx?event8=1&prop24=SR_Title&e11="bacon-wrapped%20corn"&e8=Quick%20Search&event10=1&e7=Home%20Page&soid=sr_results_p1i1]http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Grilled-Bac...sr_results_p1i1[/url]

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Re: Converting Grill Heat and Times To Oven Temp/Times by BarbaraS (Jean,[br][br]Thanks ...)
Can't say from personal experience, but THIS ARTICLE by Mark Bittinger may be of some help.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Converting Grill Heat and Times To Oven Temp/Times by BarbaraS (I thought someone ma...)
Barbara, I think the recipe sounds like dry, greasy, overcooked , tough corn. Sorry, I wouldn't try it.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Converting Grill Heat and Times To Oven Temp/Times by Old Bay (Barbara, I think the...)
I am not good at converting to oven temp/times either because like Jean we're usually doing it the other way around, BUT, one idea you could try is to cook the bacon half way by itself, then wrap around the corn. That way all of it would be in the oven for a shorter time possibly avoiding tough corn.

I did that with those circus dogs the other day - partially cooked the bacon and then wrapped the dog. Worked out beautifully and while it still had to be baby sat on the grill, the amount of time was much less.
  Re: Re: Converting Grill Heat and Times To Oven Temp/Times by Trixxee (I am not good at con...)
I love fresh corn on the cob, and since I discovered the microwave method in the husk, I don't do it any other way. It comes out so perfect, that I didn't bother to but butter on it.

As much as I love bacon, I agree with the other folks, I think the time is too long. I hate soggy bacon, so for filet mignon, bacon wrapped pork rounds, etc., I always parcook the bacon The only exception is my bacon wrapped meatloaf since I do want the bacon grease to help moisten it.
  Re: Re: Converting Grill Heat and Times To Oven Temp/Times by Cubangirl (I love fresh corn on...)
Didn't have enough info on this. Didn't know there was bacon involved...didn't say if the heat was indirect or not...

Barbara, did you make this recipe? If not, I'd really suggest skipping it.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Converting Grill Heat and Times To Oven Temp/Times by cjs (Didn't have enough i...)
I agree with the others. Did you try it, Barbara?
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Converting Grill Heat and Times To Oven Temp/Times by Gourmet_Mom (I agree with the oth...)
Thanks for all the replies peoples!

No, I haven't tried it and I don't think I will. Just doesn't sound right to me.

Happy Labor Day to all!!

Barbara